No OSD Issues, New PSU?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Slypty

No OSD Issues, New PSU?

Unread post by Slypty »

I just bought a new PSU for my MiSTer since I liked the adjustable digital display. I actually sold my other MiSTer, so I no longer have the original PSU.

When I received the new PSU today, I plugged it in and calibrated to 5.1V, and fired up my MiSTer. What my display shows now, is just a blank screen. I can't bring up the OSD even with the OSD button, or with F12 on my keyboard. Power seems to be getting across since the USB hub show green lights etc.

I like this PSU but maybe it's the problem? A bit stumped as the SD card was working just prior, the only new thing is the PSU. The PSU is rated for 3-12V (adjustable) and 5A.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 12.06.18 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-16 12.06.18 AM.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 828 times
HK-47

Re: No OSD Issues, New PSU?

Unread post by HK-47 »

Some possible causes:

• Can it actually do 3A at 5V? It's possible that they advertise 3A, but the power supply can only do 3A at the minimum voltage setting (3V). It that's the case , then it can only do 9 watts, which is lower than the stock DE10 Nano PSU.

• Is the built-in voltmeter accurate? Have you tried checking the output with a multimeter?

• Is the output connector center positive? Not sure what protections are in place on the DE10 nano, but in the worst case using a center negative connector can damage it.

Slypty

Unread post by Slypty »

So to put those answers in to perspective,

Q: Can it actually do 3A at 5V?
A: Well the PSU is rated for 5A, not 3A. So, even if it was a lower amperage at low voltage levels, would it be enough to stop the MiSTer from operating properly?

Q: Is the built-in voltmeter accurate? Have you tried checking the output with a multimeter?
A: It's pretty accurate, I did test it and it's out about 1/10th of a Volt. So not enough to cause any major issues I believe.

Q: Is the output connector center positive?
A: Yes, it is positive. Although the barrel doesn't fit all the way in like the original L.T.E supply. Plugging a negative charge in to your MiSTer DOES fry it.. at least my friend did so and we had to send it back to Terasic for a repair, it had blown a transistor.

The other possible culprit could be the .ini or the SD Card itself. When I sold my other MISTer, I left my preferred SD Card in it by accident. But, I am finding something inconsistent. When I changed the configuration of the ini's, the plain fuzzy screen that displays is shown but with out any differences (No change in OSD appearing, or even vertical hold which seems odd.)

I'll know more by tomorrow, I ordered a new SD Card, and am having the Buyer with my good SD cards send me my lost .ini's this evening. If I still have failure after those updates, I'll return the PSU and look for something recommended.

Slypty

Unread post by Slypty »

Just wanted to update this thread, as solved.

Ended up my SD Card somehow committed suicide while I was in the midst of changing power supplies. So, no fault on the PSU at all, just bad timing.