Shared Folder Discussion

kolla

Re: Shared Folder Discussion

Unread post by kolla »

Yes, I understand. I may get an A314 and see if similar issues are present there as well. Thank you very much for fixing the zip file issue, and I cross my own fingers for configurable shared dir ;)
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Amiga driver i've used as a base using quite hacky compilation procedure. I'm not familiar with it. It looks weird that you have to patch 2 times and provide custom prologue and epilogue asm codes. May be it's done to reduce the file size. In this case it would be good to try a normal compilation. Size shouldn't be a matter. May be it will fix some bugs.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

I think those prologue and epilogue asm codes are legacy leftover from AmigaDOS originally being written in BCPL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCPL
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

@Sorgelig
You are right, you gave me your little finger, and now I long for more, so here is a small wishlist for MiSTer.ini :)

* shared_uid=
* shared_gid=
* shared_umask=
R4M

Unread post by R4M »

The driver also seems to crash on special characters. if you copy an existing file and name the destination "Däsh", OS 3.1.4 says "Can't open Däsh for output - object not found. Extracting the BoulderDäsh.lha archive crashes the driver. I'll have a look at it.. hope I'll find time for that on the weekend.
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Well, the character set stuff is extremely primitive on Amiga - it is pure 8bit iso-8859-1 by default, and all other charsets in the "iso-8859 soup" are just implemented by changing fonts. On the Linux side, unicode is used, mostly utf8 encoded filenames. So you will have to map utf8 filename characters to equivalent iso-8859-X characters, where X varies with what character it is. And what do you do when a file on the Linux side has filename using characters from two iso-8859 charsets? Or characters that Amiga simply _cannot_ understand? It's like trying to map IPv6 into IPv4, it doesn't work well.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

R4M wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:32 pm The driver also seems to crash on special characters. if you copy an existing file and name the destination "Däsh", OS 3.1.4 says "Can't open Däsh for output - object not found. Extracting the BoulderDäsh.lha archive crashes the driver. I'll have a look at it.. hope I'll find time for that on the weekend.
Only English encoding is supported. If you need special characters, then you have to zip/lha them into English named archive and then unpack it on Amiga (if it support non-English names - i have no idea).
This is by design and unlikely will be changed.
kolla wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:03 am @Sorgelig
You are right, you gave me your little finger, and now I long for more, so here is a small wishlist for MiSTer.ini :)

* shared_uid=
* shared_gid=
* shared_umask=
Complex shares aren't supported. You have to share the folder on exFAT/FAT32 volume or do a proper setting on underlying FS to apply required rights transparently.
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Sorgelig wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:17 amComplex shares aren't supported. You have to share the folder on exFAT/FAT32 volume or do a proper setting on underlying FS to apply required rights transparently.
Yes, of course, I knew it was a long shot :)

Fixed it for myself by using inotify for monitoring and setting owner/group of new directories/files.

(sadly on linux, unline on most unix, owner sticky bit directories is ignored - if it wasn't, it would all just have been a matter of `chmod u+s,g+s share`).
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

@Sorgelig
Vaguely OT - was dummy.device added to circumvent compatibility issues with OS 3.1.4 (and 3.9?) where L:MiSTerFileSystem wasn't even read due to missing "Device" configuration in the mountlist entry, even though it worked just fine without in OS 3.1?
punnyandfunny

Unread post by punnyandfunny »

Hello. Got the shared folder set up fine. Really easy to set up, but my files seem to get corrupted when I transfer them on the Amiga side. "Packet request type unknown" Not sure what that means, anyone else having the same error? Thanks.
R4M

Unread post by R4M »

I get the same error, when I want to open the AS-ONE_V1.4x.Guide on a shared folder. Most other things work for me. Can you provide more details?
Sorgelig
Site Admin

kolla wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:11 am @Sorgelig
Vaguely OT - was dummy.device added to circumvent compatibility issues with OS 3.1.4 (and 3.9?) where L:MiSTerFileSystem wasn't even read due to missing "Device" configuration in the mountlist entry, even though it worked just fine without in OS 3.1?
Device entry is required for all Amiga OS versions. FS driver won't work without it.
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

On fresh 3.1.4 with bestwb, after I copy a file from the shared folder an error pops up and asks me if I want to remove the incomplete file and after I refuse the file is successfully copied. Not a big deal because it works but I don't know why it's happening. I don't think it's related to the fact that the files I copy don't have an icon file.
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

By “copy” you mean dragging a file in Workbench or what? Are you using ASyncWB (I suspect BestWB has that)? OS 3.1.4 has a number of ... issues... with copying/deleting files, both in Workbench (depending on file system) and in CLI (C:Copy is leaking memory as a mutha...) Icons or no icons does not matter. You should compare checksums on the source and target files to be sure they are the same.
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

hi
i try this demo
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=86561
from shared folder but after the demo start (test hardware) i get file not found ...
CPC-Power Staff
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Guys, stop to complain and fix the problems. Do i release source code just for fun? It's not HDL, it's C code! Excuses won't work here.
breiztiger
Top Contributor

but we are not all programmers ?!?

i'm just reporting some bugs i found
CPC-Power Staff
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Just because issue is posted here, doesn't mean that Sorgelig is assigned to the issue, right? :)
breiztiger
Top Contributor

right, i just report this issue here it's related to shared folder
CPC-Power Staff
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

Sorgelig wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:40 am Guys, stop to complain and fix the problems. Do i release source code just for fun? It's not HDL, it's C code! Excuses won't work here.
You are my hero Sorge! :D Really, I understand and you are right. My coding skills are surely worst than your and on Amigaos I'm even more limited as I started playing with it only two months ago so I'm sad to not be of help. I just thought that reporting bugs could be of help for someone who wants to dig into it but if annoys you I'll stop because after all you put into this project for free for everyone I don't want to upset you. Please keep on.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

breiztiger wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:09 pm hi
i try this demo
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=86561
from shared folder but after the demo start (test hardware) i get file not found ...
I'm not sure if a demo should be expected to work with the shared drive...

Demos tend to take over the entire system, disable multitasking, etc...
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Could somebody explain this to a Dummy?

Does "shared folder" mean it will be visible from my Windows PC via SSH? Or, the other way around (Win folder from WB on Minimig)?
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

Linux File System on Mister, Folder in your Amiga Directory called Shared, you put files there like you would ftp,smb, ssh and access them from minimig.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

OK, so can I eg drop my WHDLoad folder from PC via SSH onto the SD, and then access it from Minimig?
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Correct. Although I believe we have seen issues e.g. using the share directory for WHDLoad save files etc., so it’s better to think of it as a temporary transfer mechanism rather than trying to use it as the home for all the Amiga files. Move them to the real (preferably PFS) Amiga file system if you want to make sure you don’t hit any issues later.
Darthcustom

Unread post by Darthcustom »

I want to configure Shared folder in my Mister. I need an ADF to transfer the file MiSTer_share.lha to the Minimig running in Mister. Can anybody provide a link to the ADF file so that I can insert it in the floppy?

Thanks and regards
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

Darthcustom wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:42 pm I want to configure Shared folder in my Mister. I need an ADF to transfer the file MiSTer_share.lha to the Minimig running in Mister. Can anybody provide a link to the ADF file so that I can insert it in the floppy?

Thanks and regards
https://mega.nz/folder/PeZDnAwD#BfYi8JkN_WfVrIzxTTfMqQ
Darthcustom

Unread post by Darthcustom »

Thanks NML32, works perfect!

Best
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

I have not tried using the shared folder on the Minimig core yet, but I know from AO486 that its probably best to use the shared folder as storage rather than a disk you run software from. I have experienced issues and crashes when trying to write to the shared folder. I guess it might just be because I have not changed the folders permissions in the Linux part, but either way, its probably best to use it as storage, copying it to some HDF disk you use with Minimig from the shared folder and then run it.
d0pefish
mt32-pi Creator

Unread post by d0pefish »

Hi - first post here :)

I took a break from mt32-pi to try and fix some of the bugs with the Amiga shared folder system. I've opened two pull requests for Sorgelig to review and hopefully merge soon:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig ... er/pull/91
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/pull/310

Please see the above links for a summary of fixes.

There's more that can be fixed, but this should be a good start and should take care of the worst of the problems.

I've attached a test build in case anyone wants to try it. You must update both "MiSTer" (normally lives on the root of your MiSTer SD card) and the Amiga-side driver (MiSTerFileSystem, which lives in L:).

EDIT:
I have replaced the test build with a new version that additionally fixes Assigns that point to locations within the shared folder.
This fixes the demo that breiztiger was trying to run - it creates an assign at runtime to locate its data, and the assign would fail.
The demo should now run properly with this version.

Cheers! :)
Attachments
MiSTerFileSystem_test2.zip
(398.98 KiB) Downloaded 219 times