Where Do You Map P2 Start?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
misterrocks

Where Do You Map P2 Start?

Unread post by misterrocks »

I'm using a pair of MAYFLASH F300 Elite arcade sticks and they have 1 start button each. R-Type Leo (for example) needs separate button mapping for P1 Start and P2 Start. Is there any way to map P1 Start to the start button on the first controller and P2 Start to the start button on the second controller?

Giddygoon

Re: Where Do You Map P2 Start?

Unread post by Giddygoon »

You just config the buttons for player one and then the Mister will copy those settings over to player 2 side or your stick or controller automatically

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

misterrocks wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:28 pm

I'm using a pair of MAYFLASH F300 Elite arcade sticks and they have 1 start button each. R-Type Leo (for example) needs separate button mapping for P1 Start and P2 Start. Is there any way to map P1 Start to the start button on the first controller and P2 Start to the start button on the second controller?

To get different mappings on identical controllers, you'll need to take advantage of a new feature that was just introduced in the unstable build of MiSTer main (you can find this in the unstable build channel in the MiSTer Discord server).

You can activate unique mapping (per USB port + controller) in mister.ini, and then you will be able to separately map the p1 and p2 sticks.

(You can also specify unique mapping only for specific devices, if you enter the VID/PID of the Mayflash sticks. That way all other controllers will behave normally). There are commented instructions describing this at the bottom of the latest mister.ini on GitHub.

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

This is a feature that the core needs to have. Some arcade games have one coin drop and just start. If P1 is in the game and you have credits and press start again you will get P2. Some cores have dedicated P2 start buttons which you will see because you will have to map them in the core OSD settings.

toastboy

Unread post by toastboy »

If your 2 stick setup works anything like mine, then try just hitting spacebar on keyboard to skip mapping for p2 start.

On my setup, that works great, mister just figures it all out and p2 start works as you'd expect.

misterrocks

Unread post by misterrocks »

That feature will also be great for JAMMA COIN1 and COIN2 although I don't think I've run into a game that uses COIN2 yet.

darkangel33

Unread post by darkangel33 »

So I have been testing this and was able to successfully use this on specific cores on my arcade cabinet. For example the RodLand arcade core, in my MiSTer.ini I have,

[MegaSys1_A]
controller_unique_mapping=0x1234568

With 12345678 being your VID/PID. This way it doesn't mess with all the other cores on the MiSTer. Very useful for other games like Prehistoric Isle 1930 and other SNK games too.