TRS-80 Core problem

EeDee

TRS-80 Core problem

Unread post by EeDee »

A small nudge in the right direction needed maybe. I'm having trouble getting the core to load tape, disk or CMD files, nothing works. It's making me doubt that I've seen it working before but I'm sure it did the last time I loaded it. Tried older .rbf files but they all behave in the same manner.
Is there something I've forgotten to do perhaps?

akeley
Top Contributor

Re: TRS-80 Core problem

Unread post by akeley »

Try the basic tips in this Manual: https://github.com/adreeve/MiSTerManual/

Some games will only work with NEWDOS. Generally it can depend on a source too (not all disks or cmd programs will run).

TRS-80 is one of my favourite retro underdogs and I might try to conjure a game pack for it soon.

EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

Thanks @akeley but doesn't seem to work for me. Would you mind loading a .cas file from the repository and letting me know if it works okay? Then I'll know for certain I have a problem with my setup

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

I just tested it out with galaxy.cas and it works....my steps to run it:

• On bootup/reset, Hit ESC fairly quickly and you'll get a READY ? prompt.

• Press Enter to get > prompt down at bottom.

• Type SYSTEM and press Enter to get a *? prompt.

• In OSD loadup the galaxy CAS file

• type G and press Enter ....you can type GALAXY if you want but it only needs the first letter of the filename

• When done loading, type / and then press Enter

EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

Thanks @flandango that helped as it lead me to a boot rom issue

d97

Unread post by d97 »

Hi - I registered yesterday so that I could ask about something like this, too. Has anybody successfully loaded a .cas basic program? I've been able to load the included .cas files but can't seem to "cload" a basic program. The program was originally written on a model III so it's recorded at 1500 baud and I've tried a couple of utilities to bring it down to 250. (Honestly, I'm really new to this so I'm not even sure if I have to do this.) I hit f12, insert the .cas file and type cload "B" and it just shows two frozen stars in the top right corner.

Am I missing something?

D.

d97

Unread post by d97 »

Also - and I'm not sure if this is of interest to anybody (it's probably known but I figure it couldn't hurt to put it here) but I was able to get the core to use level 2 basic by installing level2.rom and renaming it BOOT.ROM.

Flandango
Core Developer

Have you tried simply CLOAD without filename?
If you don't me asking, which cas file is it and where did you get it from?
Only asking so I can try it out and see what may or may not be wrong with it.

d97

Unread post by d97 »

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. Yes, I have tried it with a simple "CLOAD," too. All it does is show me two stars in the top corner of the screen.

It's a program that I wrote so it's not actually available anywhere. I was having problems loading it in the model I emulation in trs80gp too, so I suspect it was something on my end / had to do with the file itself. I did manage to use trs80gp to put it on a disk image and then use trstools to flip it from a model III compatible disk image to one that works on the core so I am able to access it on my Mister.

I made my post before working through that procedure, though.

Flandango
Core Developer

Glad you got it working somehow. The only thing I can think of is maybe the CAS file wasn't in the correct format? It wasn't in raw audio/wav format?

d97

Unread post by d97 »

Thanks - Yeah, I'm glad that I figured something out. I'm pretty sure it's a proper .cas file because when I open it with cas2wav (or whatever the utility is called - I'm drawing a blank) it shows the program in the window and "plays" it properly to a real Trs-80 model III. Also, it will load in trs80gp when I'm using a model III - so I suspect it has something to do with Baud rate and my inability to get it to convert to something that the model I will take.