I'm having trouble with z80 files

Texemosis

I'm having trouble with z80 files

Unread post by Texemosis »

I've tried to boot several games on z80 format and they've all been doing the same thing, They stay trapped on the loading screen forever. I understand these old computers had long loading times but I doubt 20 minutes and still counting is normal. I also noticed when I press space bar, the whole screen goes black, or if I increase the cpu speed during the load screen, the screen shrinks away into the upper right corner into a very tiny dot. Well... that all looks very weird. Is there some kind of specific hardware setting and/or bios z80 files need? I can get these games working on Tap format but these z80's are confusing me right now.

JamesH

Re: I'm having trouble with z80 files

Unread post by JamesH »

Just happened to play with Z80 snapshots and I did not notice anything plain broken there. I'd suggest trying your Z80 file in an emulator (e.g. FUSE).

Texemosis

they same issues are happening in Fuse emulator. I'm getting the impression that TOSEC sets have a lot of broken things in them, oi

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I've just tried more than 10 random .z80s from the latest Lady Eklipse's TOSEC set and they all work fine. The core will even detect whether the snapshot was from 48 or 128K machine and adjust the hardware settings accordingly, so I doubt it's the issue. So, not sure why it's not working for you. Make sure you have boot.rom in the /games/spectrum/ dir and maybe try to run some z80 files from spectrumcomputing.co.uk database.

Texemosis

ah okay, there's an updated set and I was using an older one. I'll have to go check it out. It's also an opportunity for me to see if Fire and Ice no longer crashes on this newer set.