Wico Command Trackball

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
saca85

Wico Command Trackball

Unread post by saca85 »

Good evening guys, could this trackball work with my mister?

Attachments
IMG_24A9E07E50F9-1.jpeg
IMG_24A9E07E50F9-1.jpeg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1185 times
fierman

Re: Wico Command Trackball

Unread post by fierman »

Only with SNAC and SNAC supported cores. Kind of limits the list of games that you can play with this device - if at all since it is pretty useless. I have one as well, only tried it a few times. From my memory I only played Breakout on Atari2600 with it but for the rest it works in complete digital mode - it doesn't behave like a real trackball.

saca85

Unread post by saca85 »

So you advise me not to buy it? Have you tried it in Missile Command or other Centipede type games? I found this on Vinted and was looking for a trackball to use with Mr

fierman

Unread post by fierman »

saca85 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:58 pm

So you advise me not to buy it? Have you tried it in Missile Command or other Centipede type games? I found this on Vinted and was looking for a trackball to use with Mr

Unless they ask only 5 bucks for it and you would not mind having this in your collection, you are better off with a modern usb spinner which actually does work with games like Arkanoid etc.
For MiSTer this device is useless.

See this thread for some discussion about it. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38755.0

saca85

Unread post by saca85 »

In fact, before buying I was looking for advice, in fact it costs around 50 euros, I don't have an Atari at home in case I want to use it so thank you I will avoid buying it. For the spinner I proceeded to buy it on the ultimate mister, I was now looking for a trackball to add something an additional object, could you advise me instead in the case of a trackball also usb?

fierman

Unread post by fierman »

saca85 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:19 pm

In fact, before buying I was looking for advice, in fact it costs around 50 euros, I don't have an Atari at home in case I want to use it so thank you I will avoid buying it. For the spinner I proceeded to buy it on the ultimate mister, I was now looking for a trackball to add something an additional object, could you advise me instead in the case of a trackball also usb?

50 euro is robbery :) Your post made me curious so I just dug out my WICO trackball and it really does only work as a digital joystick for the Atari2600.
For advice for a good trackball/spinner I advise you to search in this subforum, there are a few threads discussing these. (the Taito Egret II trackball for instance, which is kind of expensive though)

saca85

Unread post by saca85 »

:D :D :D Thanks for saving me from this robbery. I was reading about this Taito, I'll think about it. Thanks for the advice.

Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

You could always get one of these, if your version of Amazon stock them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Illuminated-4- ... C62&sr=8-3

There is button support, but you'll need to buy 2 arcade buttons, and mount it all in some kind of case. You'll also need a PS/2 to USB adapter, to use on Mister, such as the following

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Longer-Fem ... B07FLD3T8T

Or, you can get a cheap Kensington Trackball/mouse

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-Orb ... C82&sr=8-4

Not the ideal form factor, but does the job, and is seen as a mouse in Mister.

saca85

Unread post by saca85 »

Thanks, I'll consider your idea

Chilli_Vibes

saca85 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:00 pm

Just in case you go this route, I thought I would give some details on the links I posted.
Both the devices, the 2.5" trackball, and the Kensington Trackball Mouse, both work on a Mister. I have both, and have tested them on Mister, and games like Centipede work as long as your Mister detects them as mice.
The Kensington Trackball has two large buttons, and they're seen as mouse left-click, and mouse right-click.
The 2.5" Trackball works as a mouse, but doesn't have any buttons, it only has the wires for two arcade style buttons with spade connectors. The Trackball is backlit, with a green LED, which looks cool when powered. It is a bit noisy/squeaky, but the cost more than makes up for that. And, it's very easy to take apart, as there are no screws, just plastic clips. Sensitivity is better with the Kensington.

jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

There's also a Thunderstick brand spinner, dunno how good it works though: https://www.amazon.com/ThunderStick-LED ... B07T1FQFRM

saca85

Unread post by saca85 »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:50 pm
saca85 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:00 pm

Just in case you go this route, I thought I would give some details on the links I posted.
Both the devices, the 2.5" trackball, and the Kensington Trackball Mouse, both work on a Mister. I have both, and have tested them on Mister, and games like Centipede work as long as your Mister detects them as mice.
The Kensington Trackball has two large buttons, and they're seen as mouse left-click, and mouse right-click.
The 2.5" Trackball works as a mouse, but doesn't have any buttons, it only has the wires for two arcade style buttons with spade connectors. The Trackball is backlit, with a green LED, which looks cool when powered. It is a bit noisy/squeaky, but the cost more than makes up for that. And, it's very easy to take apart, as there are no screws, just plastic clips. Sensitivity is better with the Kensington.

On Amazon Italy I found what you recommended as soon as I get it I'll try it and update you. If it should work I would like to understand if there are kits on the market where you can also mount it with the keys.

Chilli_Vibes

This is the only mount I know, specifically for that trackball.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcade-Trackba ... 992&sr=8-1

They are on eBay as well, but you might need to buy from a Chinese seller, or hope you have a seller in the EU.

saca85

Unread post by saca85 »

I have searched but there is no ready made kit like an arcade stick. I'll have a carpenter help me create a bespoke kit.