Micro SD Card Errors

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
skipH

Micro SD Card Errors

Unread post by skipH »

I've had my DE10 nano on order for over a year from Mouser and it finally came yesterday. I fired it off with the stock SD card and it seem to work fine (pulled an IP address, drove an HDMI monitor and I could browse the embedded website).

Today I'm trying to install Mister but I appear to be having SD card issues.

The first card I tried is a PNY 64GB "Eifi-X" which I had used briefly previously on an Raspberry Pi successfully. After copying Mr Fusion to it I was able to boot and ran the update script. The update script extracted a bunch of stuff then stalled. I rebooted and ran update again, it make some more progress and then hung again. I tired a third time, but time time I had ssh'ed prior to running the update script. After it hung again dmesg told me there were IO error so I started over with a new card, this time a Samsung 16GB EVO.

When using the Samsung card Mr Fusion boots, runs for a while and then reboots back into Mr Fusion again (and again).

My MiSter hardware stack is the "all MiSTer Aluminum Kit Bundle" from misteraddons.com with an RTC board, stock power supply.

So my question: Is the DE10 nano picky about SD cards? If so is there a recommended card?

Thanks!
Skip

AngelicLiver

Re: Micro SD Card Errors

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Apologies that this response won't be all that helpful but; no, I've used many different makes and model of Micro SD cards and found that IO performance was pretty consistent between cheap low-capacity cards and expension high-performance/capacity ones on the DE10-Nano.

However, I can't stress enough that you should always format and then test your Micro SD cards with H2testw before using them in your devices. There are an awful lot of fake/duff Micro SDs floating around.

skipH

Unread post by skipH »

It's helpful, thanks for replying!

I guess I'm just having some bad luck. The second card is now read only which explains the reboots! It appears that Mr Fusion was written correctly since I verified it and it boots but it doesn't look like Mr Fusion was not able to write anything. I've ordered some new SD cards, hopefully that'll help.

Skip

skipH

Unread post by skipH »

I couldn't wait for a new card so I tired another "no name" card I had lying around. The third time was the charm. The update script finished successfully! Several cores work am I'm running the memtest test now.

What an awesome project, and I'm not even a "gamer".

Skip