External USB Hub?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
SilvaHaloOne

External USB Hub?

Unread post by SilvaHaloOne »

Hi,

I have had a MiSTer for about a month now, connected to a CRT via the analog board. I have a pretty large collection of OEM game controllers for many of the classic systems, and as time and money allow, I will pick up USB adapters for those controllers for a true experience.

Where I want to sit is pretty far from the MiSTer. There is a power outlet right there though... I'm wondering if I can simplify things by running a 10-15 foot USB cable to a powered USB hub closer to where I sit? Is there any disadvantage to doing this? Or do USB controllers and Daemon adapters need to be plugged directly into the MiSTer, like for low latency or power reasons?

Thank you for your time,

--SilvaHaloOne

jca
Top Contributor

Re: External USB Hub?

Unread post by jca »

MISTer has only 1 USB port usable for controllers (and other devices) so a USB hub is generally used (it must be an OTG hub). As long as you use a cable which does not go over the limit there should be no problem. The signals go at near light speed on the cable so it won't add delay.