Jammix or Mistercade for JAMMA and HDMI

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.

Jammix or Mistercade for JAMMA and HDMI

Unread post by 678 »

I want to be able to connect my mister to my arcade cabinet and take it out for use on the hdmi TV. I am looking at both options , what do you guys think of either of them or which is better. If I did the jammix I probably would put it in some sort of pc case and maybe cut the panal area so the jamma could be accessible. The mistercade has a nice case that allows for easy access. But the wait on mistercade is probably afew months.

rickdangerous

Re: Jammix or Mistercade for JAMMA and HDMI

Unread post by rickdangerous »

I have lots if JAMMIX just ready. It's my product, so I would say to you that it's the best ;)
We never run out of stock.

Captain Commodore just posted a video building in mini ITX case : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8S0A43ttgQ

Kind regards
Ricardo

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt

seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

This is something I have been looking into as well. I look forward to the comments here by those experienced in the matter. Very nice that rickdangerous of the jammix project is chiming in. Rick, would you kindly comment on the potential of 'hot-swapping' a Jammix build from internal arcade cab to a more console like experience via hdmi (or even CRT?)

Gryzor

Unread post by Gryzor »

So I got Ricardo‘s Jammix Mister in an ITX-case like a month ago and wired it to my Taito Egret 3 cab. I prefer playing every action game with an arcade control panel on a sturdy cab, even all the console stuff.

Super happy with the results, but I should’ve placed an order for the item without the case, as it obstructed the JAMMA interface. The import fee was outrageous, almost € 100.—. Guess I should’ve asked Ricardo to declare a lower value for customs beforehand.

The only issue I’ve had with the Jammix device, was not getting a picture at all, unless I connect my tri-sync monitor’s separate VGA-cable directly to the MiSTer. So JAMMA is properly connected for controls, but I’m also using the MiSTer’s analogue-out to the cab’s VGA-in at the same time. Works like a charm.

A friend of mine had Antonio Villena’s USB-JAMMA adapter, but wasn’t getting a picture either. Unlike my Egret, his Astro doesn’t have a separate VGA-cable to circumvent the issue. He now has a MiSTercade, which he got to work, picture and all, with only the JAMMA interface.
I assume Ricardo could’ve pointed me in the right direction, to get his Jammix displaying a picture without also relying on the MiSTer’s analogue video-out port, but in my use case, it’s simply not needed.

I still have Antonio’s USB-JAMMA adapter and that one kinda did a decent job, but shaving a couple more milliseconds of lag off with Ricardo’s Jammix is the real deal. Now it feels like I’m given a full 2 seconds more reaction time when playing any game on the MiSTer, although it’s obviously much less.
Pretty sure I’m not imagining things either, due to a placebo effect or some such, cause I can actually beat more games now.
What matters is that gameplay seems exactly the same as I remember it from the arcades. Lifelong goal achieved :)

Seastalker, you can get the full fat console experience with the Jammix MiSTer, whenever you fancy removing it from your cab. Personally, I’d just never do that :P

goldenage

Unread post by goldenage »

I'm stuck in a similar position, I want to get my DE-10 running in a Jamma cabinet but the MisterCade won't be available again for a couple months. Good to know the Jammix doesn't provide any video on the Jamma edge. I wish there was a no-frills Jamma adapter, maybe a MisterCade lite? I just want to get some games going in my Jamma cabinet without a lot of fuss.

Unread post by 678 »

I ordered the jammix and can't wait for it to come. I will let you know how it works out. Unfortunately I will have to get video worked out thru jamma on my cabinet since I am using a switcher and have other pcb's running. I feel like once I get it up and running, I would get a itx mini case with the big air vents on the side and cut them open allowing access to the jamma or there are also cases that allow for a more open look. My arcade cabinet is very limited with button and controller lay out , so I will be basically only playing early and mid 80s arcade games on it. The console games and more advanced neo geo stuff will be back on the TV. I probably won't switch that often but I like the option.

Gryzor

Unread post by Gryzor »

goldenage wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:07 pm

Good to know the Jammix doesn't provide any video on the Jamma edge.

I’m pretty sure there’s a way to make the Jammix output video correctly through the JAMMA edge. You’d just have to ask Ricardo how to pull that off. All I’m saying is that it wasn’t necessary in my case, because my Taito Egret 3 also has a separate VGA-cable, directly to its CRT.

rickdangerous

JAMMIX can output RGB from the JAMMA edge and VGA / D-Sub port simultaneously. Component video is available via the D-Sub port only.

All JAMMIX are tested in real arcade (4 player) and Supergun. We do video test output using JAMMA with all boards.
Besides the JAMMA tests we also do the regular / standard MiSTer tests, including: VGA, AUDIO, USB, USER I/O etc etc. All cables bundled with JAMMIX are also tested.

15 kHz Monitors/Arcade Monitors/PVM & BVM in the MiSTer.ini
● Set “composite_sync=1” in the MiSTer.ini file, this sets MiSTer for RGBS video output.
● Set "forced_scandoubler=0"

31KHz Monitors/Computer Monitor
● Set “composite_sync=0” in the MiSTer.ini file, this sets MiSTer for RGBHV/VGA video output.
● Set "forced_scandoubler=1"

Kind regards,
Ricardo

goldenage

Unread post by goldenage »

Awesome, thank you for the response and breakdown of ini settings.

Unread post by 678 »

I got my jammix and have been using it with both my arcade cabinet and my hdmi TV. I picked up a case on Amazon and used a router to create a space for my jamma to connect. I also picked up a pico power supply for when it is on the tv. The set up has been very easy. I definitely recommend the jammix , I am still waiting for my usb converters to come so I can utilize all my usb ports on the front of my case. I will post pictures when my set up is fully done.

Unread post by 678 »

Here are some pictures , works great on both tv and dk cabinet.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rickdangerous

That arcade looks AWESOME!
Thank you for all support.

Kind regards
Ricardo,
UltimateMiSTer.com