New 8bitdo Official NeoGeo Controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: New 8bitdo Official NeoGeo Controller

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Retro-Nerd wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:29 pm

Porkchop Express review:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/8bitdo-neogeo-88004921

"8BitDo claims they spent 3-years developing this controller and their attention to detail shows. Take for example the movement of the d-pad. Great care was taken to match the motion of the original Neo Geo CD pad. I have what looks to be a lightly worn example from a boxed Neo Geo CD. Both 8BitDo and the original pads have a 2.5-3mm dead zone in any direction, followed by a 2-2.5mm switch engagement. Both sticks also require 1.8N of force to engage the switch and 3.8N of force to max out the travel.

The face buttons of the 8BitDo controller measure in at 1.0N of force, again, just like the original Neo Geo CD controller."

That is some obsessive amount of matching it to the original controller, quite impressive.

"This might very well be personal preference, but I would like to test a smaller dead zone on the d-pad. It would require some physical modification to the stick but I think I would prefer less play in the switch activation. A stick allows for more precision than a traditional d-pad, but at the cost of speed. The shorter the throw, the faster the reaction but the you give up some precision. Thankfully, the d-pad only allows for 8-direction input and the precision is adequate."

That would interest me as well, it probably wouldn't work as well for fighting games anymore, but it would be great for shoot 'm ups and other games where you have to change directions as fast a possible. Make it happen Porkchop Express!

I also wonder if it would be possible to mod it into a four-way controller for four-way arcade games.

Fuzzball

Unread post by Fuzzball »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:48 pm
Fuzzball wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:33 pm

For me, it is an excellent space saving alternative to getting an arcade stick. As I get more used to it I am finding myself using it with Amiga and other cores rather than swapping over to my ArcadeR joystick. When Amazon UK get it in stock I think I may pick up a spare too.

Interesting, so up=jump platformers work pretty well? That's one of the big downsides of a d-pad like the m30 (though often I bind a face button to up...)

Yes, I've played the Amiga version of Rainbow Island on it just fine. In fact I'd say I genuinely prefer playing it with the Neo Geo controller than my joystick.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

The firmware updater says my receivers are at version 1.04 and my controllers are at version 1.00 Beta 1. When I press the firmware update button it says "No more information at this time" in red letters. A blue update button below that turns red when pressed but nothing further happens.

Are there supposed to be newer firmware versions out than these?

DanHero

Unread post by DanHero »

Hi, mine arrived today; cabled it works flawlessly, but Mister cannot detect it in bluetooth mode; I set the switch on the back and enter pairing mode but nothing; I have 2 other 8bitdo controller (M30 and PRO2) and neither gave me problems. I even downloaded the firmware updater but it looks like I'm up to date.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

DanHero wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:04 pm

Hi, mine arrived today; cabled it works flawlessly, but Mister cannot detect it in bluetooth mode; I set the switch on the back and enter pairing mode but nothing; I have 2 other 8bitdo controller (M30 and PRO2) and neither gave me problems. I even downloaded the firmware updater but it looks like I'm up to date.

It worked for me. Did you pair it by holding the user button on the MiSTer?

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

Why do you want it in Bluetooth mode on the MiSTer? The 2.4GHz option has less input lag and works out of the box. I am missing something?

btw: Yes, it's a great controller like most reviews praised. The switch path for the directions might be a tiny bit longer than you'd expect from real joysticks with microswitches but this isn't a disadvantage for me. I'm very pleased with the overall built quality too.

metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

Its out on amazon uk now - £29.99 - ive ordered one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/B0C9BZR395/

seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

SO aggravating... I posted a thread I basically said 'NEVERMIND' to (due to this thread being a better umbrella to post in)... about getting 8bitdo controllers elsewhere than Amazon (I do not support Amazon for a variety of reasons). I found the Aliexpress store talked about here. In trying to order multiple controllers from there , AliExpress accepts a sign in, but nothing I add to cart actually shows up there. Ultimately, I can't currently order from AliExpress currently due to unknown tech glitches. I hope Stone Age Gamer and Castlevania Games carries them at some point.

Bristles

Unread post by Bristles »

metalfacemark wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:06 pm

I think that is a pre-order, because delivery says the following

"Prime delivery 10 - 12 October"

Still, good news, and I will be getting one.

metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

Bristles wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:31 pm
metalfacemark wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:06 pm

I think that is a pre-order, because delivery says the following

"Prime delivery 10 - 12 October"

Still, good news, and I will be getting one.

Mine is due for delivery 2nd october.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

seastalker wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:16 pm

SO aggravating... I posted a thread I basically said 'NEVERMIND' to (due to this thread being a better umbrella to post in)... about getting 8bitdo controllers elsewhere than Amazon (I do not support Amazon for a variety of reasons). I found the Aliexpress store talked about here. In trying to order multiple controllers from there , AliExpress accepts a sign in, but nothing I add to cart actually shows up there. Ultimately, I can't currently order from AliExpress currently due to unknown tech glitches. I hope Stone Age Gamer and Castlevania Games carries them at some point.

Is that from the official 8BitDo store? (https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005795535578.html)
I don't see any technical problem there at the moment. They have a discount now as well, pretty nice.

DanHero

Unread post by DanHero »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:38 pm
DanHero wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:04 pm

It worked for me. Did you pair it by holding the user button on the MiSTer?

Of course I did. Very strange, it is the only one, today I tried to pair the other 2 controller I have and they were found. Just to try, I paired the Neo Geo pad on Steam Deck and it worked immediately. So there's something weird between my pad and my Mister, or my BT dongle. Nevermind, I'll go with 2.4GHz.

seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:11 am

Is that from the official 8BitDo store?
I don't see any technical problem there at the moment. They have a discount now as well, pretty nice.

Yes on the 8BitDo official store, but it is/was an AliExpress issue wher NOTHING I added to the cart would show up there. I tried a few times and different tricks and eventually was able to have items STAY in the cart... then payment wasn't working. Different payment method and throwing salt over my shoulder and- now a bunch of controllers are on the way. :)

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

seastalker wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:47 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:11 am

Is that from the official 8BitDo store?

Yes on the 8BitDo official store, but it is/was an AliExpress issue wher NOTHING I added to the cart would show up there. I tried a few times and different tricks and eventually was able to have items STAY in the cart... then payment wasn't working. Different payment method and throwing salt over my shoulder and- now a bunch of controllers are on the way. :)

That is really odd. Happy to hear that you finally succeeded.

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

Also here both with dongle and BT worked out of the box.

Zagg3r

Unread post by Zagg3r »

Finally received mine...
The joystick/thumbstick Is similar to the original, but NOT the same; I agree with those reviews that say that it's looser and lesser precise than the original.
Moreover despite 8bidto claims, they went with a cheap clone of the 1st gen mechanism, instead of the more refined and longer lasting updates used in the NEO pocket and PS2/USB NeoGeo pads...
Unfortunately the microswitches will not last long and will be impossible to replace.

Anyway, suppose I want to use this pad with a MD, do I need to buy the receiver that is sold by itself like this one:

images.jpg
images.jpg (1.15 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

Or can I buy a MD set like this one:

8bitdo.png
8bitdo.png (82.82 KiB) Viewed 1806 times

And share the receiver?