SCUMMVM

nico24
Core Developer

Re: SCUMMVM

Unread post by nico24 »

Thanks bbond007 for the suggestions. Yes plugged in, both tried the HDMI output and the IO board sound out. Both global and game setting changed about to test for a few different games. MiSTer updated constantly. Oh well, I guess it's one of those ones I won't solve. Thanks.
nico24
Core Developer

Unread post by nico24 »

Ok- so was looking around the menus. There is something called GLOBAL Volume (rather than Core Volume) that was set to MUTE by default. That's what it was. In case someone has the same issue!
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

bbond007,

I am researching migrating my install to an external HDD. My ScummVM directory is pretty large. Is there any way this [and Doom] would still work with the directories externally? I realize that these are 'different' as they run on the linux side. If not, I'll just keep a larger sd card in the Nano to accommodate ScummVM.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

seastalker wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:08 pmIs there any way this [and Doom] would still work with the directories externally?/quote]

Absolutely, yes. Just edit the appropriate script in /media/fat/Scripts/ and set the correct path to the directory on your HDD. I have my Scumms on a NAS where MiSTer's games folder resides, There I created a folder ScummVM and edited ScummVM_2_5_1.sh as follows:

Code: Select all

[...]
SCUMMVM_HOME_DIR="/media/fat/games/ScummVM"
[...]
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

pippuz wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:01 pm Menu: MIDI passthrough for USER I/O to use MT32pi from Linux (Kitrinx).

This is the last update of yesterday.
How does this manage with MIDIMeister driver?
Where do I find this option please?
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:33 pm Where do I find this option please?
There is no option to enable. Anything sent to ttyS1 will go to USER IO by default.

If you have loaded the MIDIMeister ALSA driver then mt32-pi should work from MISTer Linux.
bbond007
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:59 pm
seastalker wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:08 pmIs there any way this [and Doom] would still work with the directories externally?
Absolutely, yes. Just edit the appropriate script in /media/fat/Scripts/ and set the correct path to the directory on your HDD. I have my Scumms on a NAS where MiSTer's games folder resides, There I created a folder ScummVM and edited ScummVM_2_5_1.sh as follows:

[...]
[...]
Another option is to leave ScummVM installed on the SD. The games can reside on a NAS, USB, SD or even a combination.

This is what I do...
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Is there an update script that grabs the latest version of ScummVM?
bbond007
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:45 pm Is there an update script that grabs the latest version of ScummVM?
Same as the install script. This script will grab the latest ScummVM_Installer.sh and run it.

https://github.com/bbond007/MiSTer_Scum ... ScummVM.sh
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Nice one, thanks!
HarborSeal

Unread post by HarborSeal »

bbond007 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:09 pm
marcelosofth wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:39 pm Friend, how do I make ScummVM full screen on my TV?
Generally you need to change the resolution of the Menu core.

These are just example settings as I have no idea with the specs and capabilities of your TV.

MiSTer.INI:

[MENU]
vga_scaler=1
video_mode=6
ScummVM_2_X_X.sh:

echo "Setting Video mode..."
vmode -r 640 480 rgb16
ScummVM/Options:

Graphics Mode: <default>
Render Mode: <default>
[X] Aspect ratio correction
[ ] Fullscreen mode
For some reason, my TV invokes overscan in 640x480 resolution, cropping all four sides, and I can't turn it off.

I used a calculated 1280x960 mode instead and it worked fine.

video_mode=1280,960,60

The higher resolution also scales better on my TV, so that's an added bonus.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

bbond007 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:01 pm
Moondandy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:45 pm Is there an update script that grabs the latest version of ScummVM?
Same as the install script. This script will grab the latest ScummVM_Installer.sh and run it.

https://github.com/bbond007/MiSTer_Scum ... ScummVM.sh
Hello there, I was wondering if you were planning on bringing VRR to ScummVM?
That would solve the screen tearing problems completely. I haven't tested it but it doesn't work out of the box with the current VRR main update right?
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Neocaron wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:39 pm Hello there, I was wondering if you were planning on bringing VRR to ScummVM?
That would solve the screen tearing problems completely. I haven't tested it but it doesn't work out of the box with the current VRR main update right?
You're misunderstanding how this works. ScummVM is not a core, it does not run on the FPGA except maybe for the framebuffer video; it's a software-only piece that runs on the CPU independently of the main MiSTer executable, where the VRR changes reside.

ScummVM is a project that takes advantage of the fact that the MiSTer has a regular CPU in it. As a project, is useful for those who see MiSTer as a retro-gaming platform (a very advanced one, but that's besides the point), with the understanding that this project is not a FPGA core but purely software-based, with all the consequences of that. And one consequence is that it doesn't benefit from the changes in the main MiSTer executable such as VRR.
Neocaron

pgimeno wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:24 pm
Neocaron wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:39 pm Hello there, I was wondering if you were planning on bringing VRR to ScummVM?
You're misunderstanding how this works. ScummVM is not a core, it does not run on the FPGA except maybe for the framebuffer video; it's a software-only piece that runs on the CPU independently of the main MiSTer executable, where the VRR changes reside.

ScummVM is a project that takes advantage of the fact that the MiSTer has a regular CPU in it. As a project, is useful for those who see MiSTer as a retro-gaming platform (a very advanced one, but that's besides the point), with the understanding that this project is not a FPGA core but purely software-based, with all the consequences of that. And one consequence is that it doesn't benefit from the changes in the main MiSTer executable such as VRR.
Of course, and it does a great job at what it does.
I know it's not a FPGA core and it's running purely on the arm chip but I don't see why it would limit options regarding the way things are outputed from the Mister. It requires implementation of course, but it's not impossible, same for everything using the framebuffer. I'm basically just saying ScummVM is awesome but currently it's missing 2 features that makes it less than what it could be; Filters and vsync/vrr.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

There may not be any way to hook into those hardware features from software, and even if there are, it's up to the SCUMMVM project to modify their code to talk to the Mister's scaling system. That's probably not something the Mister people can impose from outside, at least not without also imposing it on every program that runs on the Linux side, which would probably play hob with the text output. It's best done from within the one program that wants it.

If it's even possible, mind.
bbond007
Top Contributor

The ScummVM build I do is against (ancient) SLD 1.2 because I fell that is the best fit given the platform specs. I don't know if the SDL 1.2 would could even be aware of VRR and thus use it. Seems unlikely.

For me screen tearing is just not a big concern right now - sorry :(

I seem to remember (at least some of) the original SVGA 640x480+ games like 7th Guest having screen tearing on PCs, but maybe I'm wrong... maybe the screen tearing is authentic :)

I do still have some newer builds of ScummVM I've been testing. For this thing: RetroWave express OPL3 USB
RetroWave.png
RetroWave.png (747.45 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
It works as a USB serial device and and the current MiSTer kernel does see it as as such.

I'm compiling the latest ScummVM repo for support for this device. I've had to upgrade my cross-compiler toolchain (for libretrowave) and the resulting ScummVM works, however currently it bombs when RetroWave is selected in the ScummVM config and its a difficult problem to debug. And then I (finally, been avoiding it...) got covid and I can't remember where I left off and I forgot quite a bit of details.

But I do have some newer builds of ScummVM I can share.
Neocaron

bbond007 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:46 am
The ScummVM build I do is against (ancient) SLD 1.2 because I fell that is the best fit given the platform specs. I don't know if the SDL 1.2 would could even be aware of VRR and thus use it. Seems unlikely.

For me screen tearing is just not a big concern right now - sorry :(

I seem to remember (at least some of) the original SVGA 640x480+ games like 7th Guest having screen tearing on PCs, but maybe I'm wrong... maybe the screen tearing is authentic :)

I do still have some newer builds of ScummVM I've been testing. For this thing: RetroWave express OPL3 USB

RetroWave.png

It works as a USB serial device and and the current MiSTer kernel does see it as as such.

I'm compiling the latest ScummVM repo for support for this device. I've had to upgrade my cross-compiler toolchain (for libretrowave) and the resulting ScummVM works, however currently it bombs when RetroWave is selected in the ScummVM config and its a difficult problem to debug. And then I (finally, been avoiding it...) got covid and I can't remember where I left off and I forgot quite a bit of details.

But I do have some newer builds of ScummVM I can share.
I remember we had this discussion a while back :lol: , and I absolutely love scummvm on the Mister and all the work you put into it. The way around I have for the filters is to plug the Mister in my OSSC via a vga to hdmi or scart. This way I can get decent scanlines, but it doesn't solve the tearing unfortunately. Egypt or Versailles are headache inducing because of the tearing while other are less problematic. I understand if it's not a priority at all though. Glad to see you are keeping it up to date especially when I remember the thread where people were almost insulting you for just having it running on the Mister, like you were staining the Mister project... WTF!! Anyway, thanks for your work!

Does the Retrotink 5x has a vga input by the way?
MrX_Cuci

Unread post by MrX_Cuci »

Hello Bbond007,

Will the installer grab the latest 2.6 version of ScummVM or does it need to be modified?
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

+1000 support to Bbond007's work on Scummvm on Mister! I recently put together a brand new Linux OS based gaming PC where I also installed ScummVM. I always have to spend time futzing around to avoid many audio issues including 'sudo kill pulseaudio' command line prompts. I have no such issues thus far on the MiSTer version. I'd love support for the latest versions, 2.6, and eventually 2.7 and beyond.

Loading up learning games for our family's children is quick and easy.

I only hope someday some unofficial script happens where I can automatically download newly supported games with each version. Even if just the freeware ones. I have a ScummVM 2.1.0 'Electric Sheep' Complete Collection but can't bother to update it by downloading 200 + Adrift engine games manually. The Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls and Level 9 games would be cool but for now I have PC emulators.
monsterchief

Unread post by monsterchief »

Hey Bbond007,

I recently gave this a try and It's a fantastic way to play old p&c adventures on the Mister.

I got a qn though, I can't seem to get general midi to sound right on my mt32pi when i select the appropriate sc55 soundfont (on the mt32pi itself). it always sounds off, unlike when I use the ao486 core. Is there something I'm missing? I tried the various options in ScummVM but it still plays weird instruments.
arromdee

Unread post by arromdee »

Would it be possible to use the FPGA for the OPL3 sound chip and the MIDI synthesizer, so SCUMMVM wouldn't need such addons?
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

arromdee wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:07 pm Would it be possible to use the FPGA for the OPL3 sound chip and the MIDI synthesizer, so SCUMMVM wouldn't need such addons?
Possible yes, but you'd need somebody to write the core for that and run a custom SCUMMVM fork that can use it.
It would be very niche so I don't see many programmers willing to take that route; unless somebody active with SCUMMVM takes an interest in FPGAs.

You also need to take into account that many of these games already work fine with exisitng MiSTer cores; so SCUMMVM is a bit redudant and doesn't add much for those - beyond perhaps a convenient front-end.

If you want easy launch for some of these games, you can use the MGL files to launch them from MiSTer menu: https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... anced/mgl/
bbond007
Top Contributor

MrX_Cuci wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:06 pm Will the installer grab the latest 2.6 version of ScummVM or does it need to be modified?
As always, Install_ScummVM.ini will grab the latest ScummVM_Installer.sh and run it.
arromdee wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:07 pm Would it be possible to use the FPGA for the OPL3 sound chip and the MIDI synthesizer, so SCUMMVM wouldn't need such addons?
You don't need any additions for OPL3. ScummVM already has OPL3 emulation. This is something I was just trying because I got a new toy...

Keep in mind, the OPL3 currently used in ao486 is in fact an emulator itself running on a NextZ80 CPU, however, It would offload some of the processing from the ARM CPU...
Newsdee wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:13 am Possible yes, but you'd need somebody to write the core for that and run a custom SCUMMVM fork that can use it.
It would be very niche so I don't see many programmers willing to take that route; unless somebody active with SCUMMVM takes an interest in FPGAs.
No custom fork of ScummVM is necessary it supports ALSA Direct FM as well a the RetroWave serial protocol - either of which could be used to communicate with the FPGA OPL3 from the Linux space. We just need a little FPGA work but the RetroWave serial protocol is pretty simple and could work just like the current mt32-pi implementation.

RetroWave protocol --> https://github.com/SudoMaker/RetroWave/ ... b/Protocol
ALSA Direct FM --> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.11/s ... us-devices
bbond007
Top Contributor

monsterchief wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:50 pm I got a qn though, I can't seem to get general midi to sound right on my mt32pi when i select the appropriate sc55 soundfont (on the mt32pi itself). it always sounds off, unlike when I use the ao486 core. Is there something I'm missing? I tried the various options in ScummVM but it still plays weird instruments.
Just a guess, Its possible its sending the MT-32 music(not GS), so under MT-32 device you may need to select "Don't use Roland MT-32 Music"
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

bbond007 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:22 pm Keep in mind, the OPL3 currently used in ao486 is in fact an emulator itself running on a NextZ80 CPU
:shock: Really? One would think that a Verilog implementation would be far easier than doing that. And take less of the scarce resources of the core too.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

pgimeno wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:58 am :shock: Really? One would think that a Verilog implementation would be far easier than doing that. And take less of the scarce resources of the core too.
Actually the existing full HDL implementation of OPL3 is much less efficient; it was discussed in this thread
viewtopic.php?t=890
Lukage wrote: Original Z80 based OPL3 takes in total 1325.3 post-fitter ALMs. This version uses in total 5623.1 post-fitter ALMs, from which 4372.0 are for channels itself, 1198.2 ALMs are for register file and rest is glue logic, timers, etc.
Probably the FPGA version could be optimized further, but its not at a point where it makes sense to add to ao486 at the moment.
SpotAnime

Unread post by SpotAnime »

bbond007 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:42 pm
RealLarry wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:59 pm
seastalker wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:08 pmIs there any way this [and Doom] would still work with the directories externally?

[...]
[...]
Another option is to leave ScummVM installed on the SD. The games can reside on a NAS, USB, SD or even a combination.

This is what I do...
Curious how you did this. If I edit the sh file I can only change SCUMMVM_HOME_DIR, which would impact where the ScummVM files are located, right? How would I just point the games folder to my NAS?
bbond007
Top Contributor

SpotAnime wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:38 am Curious how you did this. If I edit the sh file I can only change SCUMMVM_HOME_DIR, which would impact where the ScummVM files are located, right? How would I just point the games folder to my NAS?
SCUMMVM_HOME_DIR specifies where the scummvm bin and libs are installed. You don't need to change it.

ScummVM games can be located anywhere you want. When you add a game, just navigate to wherever the NAS is mounted within the filesystem...

ie. /media/fat/NAS/Games/ScummVM

If you wanted to relocate all your existing games to the NAS without readding, you could use a symlink. https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-create ... n-command/

ln -s /media/fat/NAS/Games/ScummVM /media/fat/ScummVM/GAMES
Hope that helps...
arromdee

Unread post by arromdee »

bbond007 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:22 pm You don't need any additions for OPL3. ScummVM already has OPL3 emulation. This is something I was just trying because I got a new toy...

Keep in mind, the OPL3 currently used in ao486 is in fact an emulator itself running on a NextZ80 CPU, however, It would offload some of the processing from the ARM CPU...
What about the midi? Could a midi synthesizer be implemented in FPGA, so an external device is not required?

(Also, since we now have an actual OPL3 in PCXT, would ao486 benefit from replacing the Z80 by it? Is Z80 still needed for other things?)
bbond007
Top Contributor

arromdee wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:09 pm What about the midi? Could a midi synthesizer be implemented in FPGA, so an external device is not required?
I am not aware of any midi synthesizer implemented in FPGA... Do you know of one?
arromdee wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:09 pm (Also, since we now have an actual OPL3 in PCXT, would ao486 benefit from replacing the Z80 by it? Is Z80 still needed for other things?)
viewtopic.php?p=59615#p59615 - Size as ao486 is pretty full.

Probably should ask that question in the ao486 section as someone there may give a more detailed answer. viewforum.php?f=13