8Bitdo Ultimate Controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
aedryan

8Bitdo Ultimate Controller

Unread post by aedryan »

Hello, I’m curious if anyone has tried the 8Bitdo Ultimate Controller with Mister much and what you think of it. I’ve tried Bluetooth and it seems “fine” but it’s got serious range issues for me that the sn30 pro+ does not, e.g.: random input drops or lag up to 1-2 seconds at something like 10ft. It’s got a 2.4g mode and a dongle for it but I suspect somebody would have to write a driver for to make it work with Mister.

16Bittt

Re: 8Bitdo Ultimate Controller

Unread post by 16Bittt »

I haven't used that one,but I have around 5 controllers connected to Mister.generally, the 2.4Ghz is the way to go,no lag and no random disconnection +instant,relieable connection everytime (unlike bluetooth).

I've also tried Xbox Series controller (the one for PC that comes with a dedicated USB dongle) and that one was also perfect.

these are the other ones I've used with Mister and they all work perfectly :

Retro-bit Sega Genesis 2.4 G
Retro-Bit Sega Saturn 2.4 G
8Bitdo M30 2.4 G
8Bitdo PCE Core 2.4G

The only Bluetooth one I use is 8Bitdo Pro 2 and I use it with 8Bitdo special dongle,and it works great.

davidmt

Unread post by davidmt »

Hi, yes I have the Ultimate controller and it does work in 2.4ghz mode.
I bought it when it first came out, and 2.4ghz didn't do anything, but then I tried it again at a later point and it did. My assumption is a driver was created, but I can't confirm that. I just know it's working.

Definitely go that route. I never noticed any huge latency in Bluetooth like you mention, but it's always best to go 2.4Ghz if you can.

aedryan

Unread post by aedryan »

davidmt wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:05 am

I bought it when it first came out, and 2.4ghz didn't do anything, but then I tried it again at a later point and it did. My assumption is a driver was created, but I can't confirm that. I just know it's working.

Is there anything special one must do to get 2.4ghz to work or is it supposed to be plug and play? I have tried plugging in the dongle and using the controller but the controller doesn't seem to work. The USB port on Mister lights up, the dongle also flashes a blue light a bit. I've reviewed the manual for the ultimate controller and updated it's firmware to no avail either.

mist-rich

Unread post by mist-rich »

aedryan wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:46 pm
davidmt wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:05 am

Is there anything special one must do to get 2.4ghz to work or is it supposed to be plug and play? I have tried plugging in the dongle and using the controller but the controller doesn't seem to work. The USB port on Mister lights up, the dongle also flashes a blue light a bit. I've reviewed the manual for the ultimate controller and updated it's firmware to no avail either.

Have you tried that dongle in a PC to see if controller is behaving differently?
I know with mine (I also have that brick style dongle if that's same as you) , I paired it initially with the PC and then moved dongle to Mister and have had it there since and it works first time every time. Remember these controllers have at least 4 'profiles' and you need to power it up into the correct 'state' for it to pair with the dongle. Also, if I reset my Mister I quickly turn Mister on/off and then it pairs again.

aedryan

Unread post by aedryan »

Welp I’m just an idiot on this one. I’ve got 2 of these controllers and somehow I swapped their charging stations so I was trying to use the wrong dongle with the wrong controller.