MiSTer NeoGeo Core Stuck with DB9 and DB15 Options

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
AmanoJacu

MiSTer NeoGeo Core Stuck with DB9 and DB15 Options

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

I have a friend who lives in another city that is not very experienced with the mister (he bought it second hand with a SD already loaded), and has some trouble with the NeoGeo core (he wants to try the NeoGeoCD). We both have Villena's mister (I bought mine directly from him).

In the NeoGeo core, he has an option of "UserIO joystick" which can be DB9MD or DB15, which disables his regular USB controllers. I don't have these options in any of my cores. According to him, they mess with the setting of the CD speed.

I understand they are meant to use DB9 controllers (megadrive) and DB15 (neogeo) using the 9 pin port, but we don't need it. According to this:

https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_Al ... patibility

You need to specifically turn on this option, but I haven't found where to turn it on/off, we just want to disable it.

Any idea? Thanks!

Flandango
Core Developer

Re: MiSTer NeoGeo Core Stuck with DB9 and DB15 Options

Unread post by Flandango »

You won't see that option if you are running the "official" NeoGeo core. It's only available on the ENCC version of the core, which looking at the code it does look like there is a merge bug that happened and the UserIO joystick settings are CD speed are colliding.
Not sure where to go post an issue for that fork.

AmanoJacu

Flandango wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:43 pm

You won't see that option if you are running the "official" NeoGeo core. It's only available on the ENCC version of the core, which looking at the code it does look like there is a merge bug that happened and the UserIO joystick settings are CD speed are colliding.
Not sure where to go post an issue for that fork.

Thanks, I just don't know how he has that ENCC version instead of the official one, or how he can get the official one, as he will only be using USB controllers. I'll tell him to delete the neogeo core and its config file, and run update_all again.

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

Most likely the downloader/update_all is setup to download the ENCC versions instead of the official cores in order to support the 9pin port found on Villena's setups.
For the most part the cores should work as long as they are updated on time as new features/fixes are implemented in the official core(s).
In this case it's a bug with just that core and it will need fixing.
He could download the RBF manually, name it something different then the ENCC version and play with that while the ENCC version is fixed.

If he doesn't plan to ever use the 9 pin port for controllers and wants to use the official cores instead of the ENCC cores, he can go into the update script setup (pressing up when prompted) and in 1. Main Distribution change 2. Cores version between the Official and DB9/Snac8 versions.

AmanoJacu

You are right, this is exactly what happened: he had update_all configured to download ENCC cores, for whatever reason, either a mistake from him or this came from the previous owner. He now has the regular cores and all work like charm!