N64 Core

sev48lora

Re: N64 Core

Unread post by sev48lora »

I would like to know if Paper Mario 64, in the part of the game that changes the color on the ground as the camera moves.

Titofff1970

Unread post by Titofff1970 »

Hello.

I use CRT for N64 core.
NINTENDO N64_20231215.rbf = black screen
NINTENDO N64_20231220.rbf = black screen
ONLY N64_20231208.rbf work fine with the last FINAL MiSTer core.

[Update]
Work Fine with Mister main (by Markun)

:geek: MiSTer FPGA Rulez ! :geek:
Titofff1970

Unread post by Titofff1970 »

deadlocked wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:05 pm
FPGAzumSpass wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:45 am

I have also run into this yesterday when i made further changes. I don't understand why it's sometimes there and mostly not.
As my new build has this 100% of the time, i can easily research it and i will fix it.
I don't have a solution ready, but i can promise you to look into it after the christmas days.

Thank you, Robert!

I have downloaded the latest "fast clocked core" (12/22) and latest MiSTer unstable (12/21) and that seems to have fixed the fast loader; I can now load multiple games, one after another, without having to reload the core in between. I still have issues with Turok 3 loading but that has never worked fine for me anyway and it's not a big deal.

For the record, I have set DDR3 Delay to "40" in debug settings to clear up graphic glitches in Indiana Jones and I am going through a bit of overall testing to see if there are secondary effects to having a faster clocked CPU, but so far things look good on the few games I have tried.

Here are the links to the files that I used.
https://discord.com/channels/6479093974 ... 5863012393
https://discord.com/channels/6479093974 ... 7689830452

Thank you !

Work fine with :
New mister main (by Markun) 20231215
+
NINTENDO N64_20231220.rbf

:D

:geek: MiSTer FPGA Rulez ! :geek:
HarborSeal

Unread post by HarborSeal »

Is there any way to download the turbo core without using discord?

EDIT:
NVM, it's on Robert's Patreon.

BlockABoots

Unread post by BlockABoots »

Does this core run on the official MiSTer main now or do you still need to use the unstable MiSTer file?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

You need the Unstable

BlockABoots

Unread post by BlockABoots »

where the best place to get a complied build from?

offset

Unread post by offset »

https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... r/releases

Expand the Assets section to see all unstable builds.

antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

If you don't mind being a few weeks out of date and just want the most recent build that doesn't depend on unstable main, it's: https://github.com/RobertPeip/Mister64/ ... 2023_12_13

I successfully tried it today (first time messing with the N64 core, very impressed so far).

antibolo

antibolo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:24 am

If you don't mind being a few weeks out of date and just want the most recent build that doesn't depend on unstable main, it's: https://github.com/RobertPeip/Mister64/ ... 2023_12_13

I successfully tried it today (first time messing with the N64 core, very impressed so far).

Quoting myself to say that it looks like stable main just got updated, so this shouldn't be necessary anymore.

liljordo

Unread post by liljordo »

First I want to say thanks to Robert for his dedicated work on this and other MiSTer cores, he has done so much to add value to this platform and I'm very thankful for it!

My question is: At this point in the N64 core's development, am I doing myself any favors by waiting for it to hit the main update_all distro? Normally I wait on WIP cores since they can be incomplete and/or require frequent manual updates, but if all I have to do for this is add a line to update_all I think I can handle that. Would y'all say it's accurate enough for most users at this point, or does it still need some time in the oven?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

liljordo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:53 am

First I want to say thanks to Robert for his dedicated work on this and other MiSTer cores, he has done so much to add value to this platform and I'm very thankful for it!

My question is: At this point in the N64 core's development, am I doing myself any favors by waiting for it to hit the main update_all distro? Normally I wait on WIP cores since they can be incomplete and/or require frequent manual updates, but if all I have to do for this is add a line to update_all I think I can handle that. Would y'all say it's accurate enough for most users at this point, or does it still need some time in the oven?

Its fine, waiting is gaining you nothing

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

This depends on what you expect, the core isn't finished. All games go ingame but some crash when playing and in some playable games the core will get more accurate over the course of the year.
Manual updates shouldn't be necessary, maybe some update coming via update_all will require that you delete an old config, but it shouldn't be anything worse and even this is not likely to happen.
Long story short if you want the best experience wait, if you just want to look into some games, go ahead.

antibolo

The way I see it, no core is ever going to be 100% guaranteed perfect, there is always a possibility of new bugs or inaccuracies to be found. So I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

My advice to you is: if you have a real N64 in your gaming setup that you’re planning to retire once MiSTer can fully replace it, you’ll have to wait a bit still. But otherwise, from my experience so far this core is perfectly enjoyable.

liljordo

Unread post by liljordo »

Thank you very much for the helpful responses, y'all!

seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

So... I broke down and am now testing the N64 core after just editing the two lines in my .ini. Really stupid of me to have waited. It's nice to see what it WOULD have looked like if I HDMI modded my Ice Blue N64. I have a Blisster so my N64 controllers both old and new are doing great. EXCEPT: I seem to be able to move left/right but not up/down. If I select "Swap analog" DPAD to ON, then I can with the DPAD. Testing with Super Mario. Will have to look up if you normally played back then with DPAD or stick (I'm nearly an N64 noob).

I have my OG N64 with an Everdrive hooked up via composite on a CRT so I'm covered on playing retro style.

For Mister, any suggested A/V settings for my 'new' 4K flat screen to get the best 'remastered' feel? I am going to max out my .ini for 1440p (LOVE Retrotink but not for my needs- will look into MARS though). I'm also going to test out rumble paks and transfer paks.

DrKastro

Unread post by DrKastro »

Is it me or does Goldeneye 007 look very blurry ? Perfect Dark looks fine, but GE looks very blurry for me

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

DrKastro wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:15 pm

Is it me or does Goldeneye 007 look very blurry ? Perfect Dark looks fine, but GE looks very blurry for me

LOD was added tonight in a test build on Discord

antibolo

seastalker wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:25 pm

So... I broke down and am now testing the N64 core after just editing the two lines in my .ini. Really stupid of me to have waited. It's nice to see what it WOULD have looked like if I HDMI modded my Ice Blue N64. I have a Blisster so my N64 controllers both old and new are doing great. EXCEPT: I seem to be able to move left/right but not up/down. If I select "Swap analog" DPAD to ON, then I can with the DPAD. Testing with Super Mario. Will have to look up if you normally played back then with DPAD or stick (I'm nearly an N64 noob).

I have my OG N64 with an Everdrive hooked up via composite on a CRT so I'm covered on playing retro style.

For Mister, any suggested A/V settings for my 'new' 4K flat screen to get the best 'remastered' feel? I am going to max out my .ini for 1440p (LOVE Retrotink but not for my needs- will look into MARS though). I'm also going to test out rumble paks and transfer paks.

Mario 64 is only played with the analog stick and does not use the d-pad.

Tulius

Unread post by Tulius »

Two of Factor 5 N64 games, Indiana Jones and Star Wars Battle of Naboo is missing some letters(graphics?) in main screen... is it have some config to fix this?

FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Not yet, need to look what the issue is.

deadlocked

Unread post by deadlocked »

Tulius wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:01 pm

Two of Factor 5 N64 games, Indiana Jones and Star Wars Battle of Naboo is missing some letters(graphics?) in main screen... is it have some config to fix this?

I can get the missing graphics back in Indiana Jones (haven't tried Battle of Naboo) in two ways, on the latest core by increasing SDRAM timing to 48 or 64, but that makes games micro stutter, or by using last month's overclocked core with no SDRAM timing changes and no stutter.

From the behavior I noticed and that the fixes include SDRAM timing changes or OC the core, I think it's a memory timing issue.

misterrocks

Unread post by misterrocks »

I set up a new MiSTer today and added N64 to downloader.ini and updated and the controls weren't working correctly. They worked correctly with the same controllers and no config on my previous MiSTer. Could that be an issue with the core?

Chris23235
Top Contributor

misterrocks wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:05 am

I set up a new MiSTer today and added N64 to downloader.ini and updated and the controls weren't working correctly. They worked correctly with the same controllers and no config on my previous MiSTer. Could that be an issue with the core?

Have you registered the controller in the main menu?
Be aware that the core doesn't ask for the analog stick when you define the buttons in the core menu. You have to set up the analog stick in the MiSTer main menu.

misterrocks

Unread post by misterrocks »

I'm not sure what that is. I've used several different types of controllers on the other MiSTer (all with Reflex Adapt) including the same Brawler64 controllers and they worked without going through a registration process. With some games I do have to define buttons (and BTW I always or usually have to redefine the buttons each time even though I always save them after defining).

Chris23235
Top Contributor

misterrocks wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:15 pm

I'm not sure what that is. I've used several different types of controllers on the other MiSTer (all with Reflex Adapt) including the same Brawler64 controllers and they worked without going through a registration process. With some games I do have to define buttons (and BTW I always or usually have to redefine the buttons each time even though I always save them after defining).

The normal procedure is to register any controller in the main menu of the MiSTer, this has to be done only one time. The MiSTer can't know which inputs the controller has.
I have no experience with the Reflex Adapt but from a brief look at it on MiSTer Addon's website I think this adapter is recognised by the MiSTer as the same controller regardless which peripheral you connect, right? In this case the MiSTer can't see which controller you use, it only sees the Reflex and because of this I think you have to set up everything each time.

morgoth

Unread post by morgoth »

hi yall!
Sorry, I'm a little late to the game...if I want to have a useable n64 core, is it enough to simply follow the instructs at:

https://vampier.net/N64/

under the heading, "Updater implementation of the N64 core" ?

Specifically, that page makes no mention of needing a separate unstable Mister build along with the n64 core...
Is that correct?
Thank you!

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

morgoth wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:03 am

hi yall!
Sorry, I'm a little late to the game...if I want to have a useable n64 core, is it enough to simply follow the instructs at:

https://vampier.net/N64/

under the heading, "Updater implementation of the N64 core" ?

Specifically, that page makes no mention of needing a separate unstable Mister build along with the n64 core...
Is that correct?
Thank you!

You havent needed an Unstable Mister for some time now.

morgoth

Unread post by morgoth »

radical! thx

KelSolaar

Unread post by KelSolaar »

Thanks for your great work on this core!
It surprising how well it works given that it's not even added to update_all!
So far I've came across one game crash. In Wonder Project J2 the game crashes as soon as you open the shop menu.
Also I wonder if it would be possible to add an option to change the analogue stick from inverted to relative? This would be useful in Star Fox 64. That game never had an option to change inverted stick to relative.