No Display Via VGA very confused

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
evocrypt

No Display Via VGA very confused

Unread post by evocrypt »

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out what's wrong with my Mister stack. I'm new to Mister and have assembled a stack with an IO board, the DE10-Nano, and the Analogue Board 6.1. Everything works perfectly when connected via HDMI to a modern TV. However, when I try to connect the Mister to an old Panasonic CRT using VGA to YPbPr, I get no picture. When SOG (Sync on Green) is turned on, I see a black screen with nothing displayed, as if it's attempting to show something but failing.

I attempted to connect the Mister directly with VGA to an old Dell PC monitor, and I encountered the same problem. It appears to attempt to display something but can't. I have tried adjusting various settings, including setting ypbpr=1 and using forced_scandoubler=1 when using the VGA monitor, but still, no picture is displayed. i have litrally tried every setting combo without any luck

I have also tested two different cables in the process:

https://www.selby.com.au/cables/video-c ... g9565.html
https://www.amazon.com.au/Monoprice-102 ... B001O8C6HM

Unfortunately, neither of these cables worked for me.

The board I am using looks like this:

rkGSP1D.jpeg
rkGSP1D.jpeg (78.12 KiB) Viewed 2481 times

Apart from considering replacing the Analogue IO board, what else can I try to troubleshoot and resolve this issue? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Stinky

Re: No Display Via VGA very confused

Unread post by Stinky »

I think ypbpr= is deprecated, try for component:
vga_mode=ypbpr ; supported modes: rgb, ypbpr, svideo, cvbs. rgb is default
composite_sync=1 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0 ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.

For VGA:
vga_mode=rgb
composite_sync=0
vga_scaler=1

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

If your IO board looks like that then you have been sent a very cheap unfinished version. There should be headers for the VGA power and a whole row of headers in the bottom horizontal. These are essential for proper operation of the User port. It looks like a cheapo Ali Express/ Ebay board sadly.

You can solder those pins in but it would be great if people stopped supporting companies who supply such shoddy work

evocrypt

Unread post by evocrypt »

my orignal VGA board was from aliexpress i ended up buying one from MiSTer Addons but its doing the exact same shit. so now i got no idea what else to try other then a full reinstall of the SD