How to Connect to a VGA CRT With My Setup?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Lostone98

How to Connect to a VGA CRT With My Setup?

Unread post by Lostone98 »

What is the best way to connect Mister FPGA and a GameCube/PS2/SNES/Dreamcast via a VGA PC CRT if possible?

Could I do retrotink X5=Tendak HDMI to VGA=VGA CRT monitor?

How would I connect Mister HDMI (should I change the HDMI board to a CRT one) and 4 other devicees to a retrotink? I got a retrotink in it's box that I have not setup yet.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: How to Connect to a VGA CRT With My Setup?

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

You can run everything through the tink but its kind of pointless IMO, since you're converting from analog to digital back to analog again. I would just stick to the consoles where you need something like it: SNES, PS2, maybe gamecube, connect it via hdmi->vga adapter. Get a passive VGA switch instead and you can switch between multiple devices. Dreamcast has many VGA cables and you can use any gamecube->hdmi device and then a cheap hdmi->VGA.

The mister can go hdmi->vga adapter right into the monitor. Try these settings for 480p:

Code: Select all

direct_video=1
forced_scandoubler=2
hdmi_limited=2

If you want to use higher resolutions and filters (isn't that the point of the 5x tink?) you can also get the Mister to do that work directly by itself:

Code: Select all

video_mode= 960,720,60,cvt
hdmi_limited=2

You can change the video_mode values to try different resolutions, I would just stick with something in 4:3 ratio.

Lostone98

All my console's have AV Components and thinking of connecting it to Sony PVM-20S1WE.

My console where connected via AV Component to a retrotink 5x to my 4k TV.

But thinking of going the other route.

Edit: Would get an OLED at a 42 but it's out of my budget.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

If you have a PVM I would certainly try it. You can get great results from all of those consoles and the Mister with it, though its sounds like it is limited to 15khz.

5x Tink is a great compliment to get all those consoles running on a TV but it sounds weird to be buying one just now for it. Maybe try your mister with some existing displays (since it sounds like you are new) to get a feel for it, before jumping into a brand new display.

Lostone98

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:43 pm

If you have a PVM I would certainly try it. You can get great results from all of those consoles and the Mister with it, though its sounds like it is limited to 15khz.

5x Tink is a great compliment to get all those consoles running on a TV but it sounds weird to be buying one just now for it. Maybe try your mister with some existing displays (since it sounds like you are new) to get a feel for it, before jumping into a brand new display.

Yes I think you are right, I'm very new to this and I'm Autistic with a low tension span lol. I'm no Elon musk ;)