ISO CD's Do Not Work

djpoppy

ISO CD's Do Not Work

Unread post by djpoppy »

I can't get any games to play on iso format CDs. When I try to read directory D: I get the message:

"CDR103: CDROM not High Sierra or ISO-9660 format reading drive D
Abort Retry Fail?"

I have successfully installed the OAKCDROM.SYS driver and the BIN/QUE cds work fine...

Schyz

Re: ISO CD's Do Not Work

Unread post by Schyz »

djpoppy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:54 am

I can't get any games to play on iso format CDs. When I try to read directory D: I get the message:

Abort Retry Fail?"

I have successfully installed the OAKCDROM.SYS driver and the BIN/QUE cds work fine...

This might have been fixed yesterday:

[zakk4223 2023-08-21 ed5d506]
Fix IDE ISO file loading

Co-authored-by: Zakk zakk@rsdio.com

This is the unstable build:
https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... 821_16ed5d

djpoppy

Unread post by djpoppy »

Thanks @Schyz! I'm going to download it right away

djpoppy

Unread post by djpoppy »

Schyz wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:06 pm
djpoppy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:54 am

Abort Retry Fail?"

This might have been fixed yesterday:

[zakk4223 2023-08-21 ed5d506]
Fix IDE ISO file loading

Co-authored-by: Zakk zakk@rsdio.com

This is the unstable build:
https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... 821_16ed5d

Mhhhh... It does not work. It's only 0.9mb instead of 4.2mb... what's wrong? Maybe it needs to be compiled?

Schyz

Unread post by Schyz »

djpoppy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:54 pm

Mhhhh... It does not work. It's only 0.9mb instead of 4.2mb... what's wrong? Maybe it needs to be compiled?

I haven't tested it myself, my plan is to wait for the stable build.

lifewithmatthew

Unread post by lifewithmatthew »

100% came here today about this issue, I thought I was just setting up things incorrectly. I'm glad to see it a known bug.

Skwerlii

Unread post by Skwerlii »

After I saw this post and realized it wasn't just me having the issue, I converted a few of my most used iso's to CHD.
Those seem to work without issue without shifting to the unstable build.

Not sure if I'm ready to convert all of my iso files just yet but it's enough to hold me over until the fix is implemented in stable builds.

djpoppy

Unread post by djpoppy »

While waiting for an official release (or a correctly compiled nightbuild) that works, I converted the iso I was playing to bin/cue. We hope you arrive soon.

kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

Yesterday; I tried the latest unstable AO486 build with the latest main mister and I was totally impressed by the results. I tested several CD games (ISO & BIN/CUE) and all worked great : Lost in time, KGB, Albion, Fascination, Gabriel Knight, Dreamweb...

Being a fan of Point & Click and (some) RPG games, I'm so happy to see those CD versions running under AO486.

Seeing yesterday evening how it was difficult for me to stop playing with Lost in time, I'll for sure spend time now to play with this core that I put a bit aside.

I've just had a small issue when I change the CD image, sometimes I've no access to the directory of the CD, when I do a DIR, the core hangs, I've to make a Hard reset or a Ctrl+Alt+Del and even sometimes restart the core, once done it works as it should. Except this issue, everything works well so far.

A big thanls to the Devs who've been working on this core.

かすりん

djpoppy

Unread post by djpoppy »

kathleen wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:57 am

Yesterday; I tried the latest unstable AO486 build with the latest main mister and I was totally impressed by the results. I tested several CD games (ISO & BIN/CUE) and all worked great : Lost in time, KGB, Albion, Fascination, Gabriel Knight, Dreamweb...

Being a fan of Point & Click and (some) RPG games, I'm so happy to see those CD versions running under AO486.

Seeing yesterday evening how it was difficult for me to stop playing with Lost in time, I'll for sure spend time now to play with this core that I put a bit aside.

I've just had a small issue when I change the CD image, sometimes I've no access to the directory of the CD, when I do a DIR, the core hangs, I've to make a Hard reset or a Ctrl+Alt+Del and even sometimes restart the core, once done it works as it should. Except this issue, everything works well so far.

A big thanls to the Devs who've been working on this core.

Where can I find it?

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

djpoppy wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:09 am

Where can I find it?

Got it from Discord...

MiSTer_Zakk_2023_08_27.zip
(558.92 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
lifewithmatthew

bbond007 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:30 pm
djpoppy wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:09 am

Where can I find it?

Got it from Discord...
MiSTer_Zakk_2023_08_27.zip

Still not working for me unfortunately. Copied MiSTer to my SD card (after renaming my existing one to MiSTer.bak). My existing AO486 setup no longer detected my CD-ROM drive and the top 300 DOS vhd failed when trying to read mounted .cue files as well.

kathleen
Top Contributor

lifewithmatthew wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:53 am

Still not working for me unfortunately. Copied MiSTer to my SD card (after renaming my existing one to MiSTer.bak). My existing AO486 setup no longer detected my CD-ROM drive and the top 300 DOS vhd failed when trying to read mounted .cue files as well.

Are you well using the latest unstable AO486 build ? Will check the one I use after work but to my recollection it is the 20230818.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, it appears that after having mounted the CD image (IDE 1-0), making a DIR D: most of the time if not always, freezes the core, is it what you have ?.
The workaround that I found is to start the core, once the DOS is there, I mount the CD image than I do a reset (Ctrl+Alt+Del) than a DIR D: , in my case it works without anymore issue (till a new image is mounted in which case I've to repeat this procedure)

There is maybe another solution but so far, I did not find it.

かすりん

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

kathleen wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:49 am

The workaround that I found is to start the core, once the DOS is there, I mount the CD image than I do a reset (Ctrl+Alt+Del) than a DIR D: , in my case it works without anymore issue (till a new image is mounted in which case I've to repeat this procedure)

I had do the same thing in order for the Redbook CD Audio to work.

EDIT:

Zaak did some troubleshooting figured out that my specific issue is due to using IDE 1-1 and not 1-0 (had a VHD mounted in 1-0).
The fix: core menu: hardware -> ide 1-1 cd hot-swap: yes

RalphJB

Unread post by RalphJB »

Will the public build be updated to fix isos not working?

lifewithmatthew

RalphJB wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:58 am

Will the public build be updated to fix isos not working?

Eventually, I'm sure it will, there are some lingering issues I've noticed with the latest test/unstable builds. For instance when I swap out hard drives and tell it to reset and apply those changes it can't detect them now. I have to save the hard drive configuration and reload the core to get it to start working. Once it's at a stable point, I'm sure they'll roll it up into the stable version, there's just no telling if that will be this afternoon or a month from now. :shock:

If you don't mind taking a little instability there is a working fix using the latest mister nightly build and the latest test build for the ao486

lifewithmatthew

They released a test build for mister this evening that seems to fix some of the larger issues going on with iso mounting if anyone wants to try it.

Using this new MiSTer test build I'm able to mount ISOs and reset and apply hard drives without having to completely reload the core, however I'm still not able to use the top 300 vhd to load cue files on the fly. I'm re-downloading it to see if I've just messed things up and a fresh install might fix things, but that's a bit of a shot in the dark.

kathleen
Top Contributor

Back to my "issue", I finally figured out why I was having this behavior.

Actually, by using OAKCDROM.SYS instead of the one that I was using in my config.sys (I kept the same MSCDEX in Autoexec) the issue disappeared.
Now, every-time I have to access to the CD-ROM image, it works as it should without the need of making a reset to get access to it.
One more time, the issue was coming from the user... I other words, me :-)

EDIT : With the today's Main Mister, the issue is solved, no need anymore to use "only" OAKCDROM, now the VIDECDD works like a charm, the one where I had mounting issue before, I guess others will do the job as well. I like and prefer VIDECDD because it is fast and not memory consuming so that's all good.

Great job of the devs one more time.

かすりん

lifewithmatthew

Yeah... my lingering issues were also my own fault. Using the test build everything works fine. The reason the top 300 pack wasn't working was because I didn't have any of the cue files where they were supposed to be.