Correct Video Settings for Y/C in PSX

SilvaHaloOne

Correct Video Settings for Y/C in PSX

Unread post by SilvaHaloOne »

Hi All,

I have questions about the AV settings for PSX on MisTer. My goal is to get output to CRT via the Analog IO board and Y/C output as close to a genuine system as possible and I am having difficulty parsing some the information that is already here. To have graphics in gameplay look most accurate to the actual hardware, what should my settings for “Dithering” “Render 24bit” and “Dither 24bit for VGA” be? FWIW, I care most about how things look in gameplay the most, I don’t care quite so much about accuracy/artifacting in FMV, but also, if there are circumstances where I should change from whatever I’m told the most accurate settings are, I would like to know when that circumstance might be.

Thank you for your time!

SilvaHaloOne

leovenon

Re: Correct Video Settings for Y/C in PSX

Unread post by leovenon »

Hi,

Via Analog IO Board, you are limited to 18 bit color depth, so I would try Dithering = On and the rest off.
"Render 24 bit" give very good results with Direct Video combined with "Dithering = Off" and RGB output.
Dither 24 bit for VGA I tried sometime ago, but I got some artifacts but maybe I was misusing this option.

SilvaHaloOne

Re: Correct Video Settings for Y/C in PSX

Unread post by SilvaHaloOne »

Thank you leovenon,

In the time since I asked, I found a friend who still had a PSone, so I borrowed it and a couple of games. Connected via S-Video, your recommendation of "Dithering On" was definitely right. "Render 24bit" looked a bit off so I will keep that off, but I came to understand that some games and FMV games are rendered in 24bit, so since VGA can't do that, the option to "Dither 24bit for VGA" seems to be intended for those circumstances, and so I left it on, as it didn't seem to impact most games. Nothing quite looked 1:1, but it was very close.

Thanks again and I hope this also helps anyone else in this circumstance.

--SilvaHaloOne