BBC Core Can’t Get Past ‘Card?'

emiliom

BBC Core Can’t Get Past ‘Card?'

Unread post by emiliom »

Sorry, noob question I'm sure, but when I run the BBC Core I'm just stuck at the prompt that says:

Card?

I can't seem to do anything at this point. I looked at the readme on github and can't see what to do. First, I'm not sure what it's asking for (sd card?), and second none of my keyboard keys seem to work.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Help?

emiliom

Re: BBC Core Can’t Get Past ‘Card?'

Unread post by emiliom »

Ok, so I finally managed to work it out. I expected the core to just 'run', but there's a little more you have to do. Just to get up and running you have to do the following:

• get the latest version of the '.MMB' file

• copy it to the "games/BBC Micro" folder

• rename the .MMB file to BOOT.VHD

• reboot your MiSTer

Now you should be able to select the BBC Micro core and it will launch straight into a games selection menu. If you don't want this and want to go to the main Beeb screen so that you can code then just disable autostart in the OSD for the Beeb core.
There's a nice simple and short guide here that explains in more detail and shows another option:
http://lushprojects.com/blog/2021/01/bb ... on-mister/
But if you just want to get up and running, follow the above steps and you should be golden. :D

Peter-FPGA

Unread post by Peter-FPGA »

it a very basic BBC core it only works with .MMB files has no tape or Disc image support.

Peter.
GreyAreaUK

Unread post by GreyAreaUK »

If you change the model away from 'B' to 'Master' you do get the ability to load SSD/DSD images. Not sure why that is Master-only.

However, my biggest concern with the 'official' BBC Micro core is that it still has the bug where the last vertical line isn't rendered. You can clearly see this if you boot Acornsoft's 'Starship Command' - the upper screen area is bounded by a box, but the rightmost vertical isn't drawn.

There's an 'unofficial' core here: https://github.com/sharpie7/BeebFpga_Mi ... 220320.rbf

This has SSD support and fixes the graphics glitch, but I seem to recall there were other issues with it. Sorry, been a while and I can't remember the details.

Feels like the BBC Micro core could use some love. It's my favourite 8-bit of the era.

Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.