Broken Cheats?

AtomicShroom

Broken Cheats?

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

Hey!

I tried the “Infinite Lives (Player 1) [raw]” and “Infinite Lives [genie]” cheats in Contra Hard Corps and both have the game kicking me to the Game Over screen whenever level 1 is about to start.

Is this known? Could it be due to the new MegaDrive core? I have no idea whether this was present before.

Thanks!

djsquare

Re: Broken Cheats?

Unread post by djsquare »

That's because you suck. Just kidding but seriously cheats work for me but you need to start the actual game play on level 1 and then enable cheats. I used "Infinite Lives P1 [raw] and then you can cheat away

ZForceFFC

Unread post by ZForceFFC »

I think when I ran Update All last, it took out a bunch of the cheat files that were in the Genesis Core folder. Not sure if there's a way to get them back manually

Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

It did that for me too, but then it downloaded a brand new collection of 1,728 cheat zip files. No idea if it's the same amount I had before or not. Maybe they've been changed for the new core?

AtomicShroom

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

djsquare wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:14 am

That's because you suck. Just kidding but seriously cheats work for me but you need to start the actual game play on level 1 and then enable cheats. I used "Infinite Lives P1 [raw] and then you can cheat away

Well I did that and it made me invincible during the level, but as Level 2 started, it kicked me to the Game Over screen. The cheat is broken.

Instead I used the "99 lives in options" cheat and that one worked fine. Oh and this game is just fucking insane. Using the 99 lives cheat, I only had 22 lives left after beating the game. The game is just ridiculously cheap. It constantly throws things at you that you could never possibly react to. Just be in the wrong spot of the screen at any given time = instadeath. I can beat Contra on NES without losing a single life, but this is just ridiculous.

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

Try the Japanese version, or the US version with the hit points restoration patch. It's much easier since you have a 3-hit points life bar (but the patch misses the unlimited continues from the original Japanese version).

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/797/

jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

There's also a level select Game Genie code IIRC, I used that back in the day to practice until I got good enough to get through each level without getting hit (mostly).