vscale_mode=5 and Aspect Ratio

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Milongero

vscale_mode=5 and Aspect Ratio

Unread post by Milongero »

Hello,

I use a Philips 240B9 with 1920x1200 pixels for the mister since lately.
I want to use vscale_mode=5 (mode 4 don't work). further is set:

• Video_mode=1920,1200,60
  • vsync_adjust=2
  • refresh_min=48
  • refresh_max=75
  • video_mode_ntsc=1792,1120,60
  • video_mode_pal=1920,1200,50

Can I just leave the aspect ratio at original or do I need to correct that. I once read that you should do this with integer scaling. As described here:
https://github.com/meauxdal/MiSTer_Custom_Aspect_Ratios
or is that obsolete by now?

Greetings Lutz

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: vscale_mode=5 and Aspect Ratio

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I kind of don't think you want to use vscale_mode=5, since that changes the actual output resolution. That's really more suitable for 4K TVs or CRTs. It seems like you always want to output 1920x1200 to avoid monitor scaling.

If you just want horizontal integer scaling, mosts cores now have it implemented as HV integer -/+. Just use vscale_mode=0 or 1, and set it in the core menu. You won't need to play with custom aspect ratios.

Some arcade cores might not be updated though, which would involve diving into custom aspect ratios. But still, you want to use vscale_mode=1 as instructed, and your native resolution of 1920x1200.

Milongero

Unread post by Milongero »

Thank you for your reply
But whats wrong with Monitor scaling?

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Milongero wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:43 pm

Thank you for your reply
But whats wrong with Monitor scaling?

Typically its extremely simple, poor, and offers zero options. Mister offers a huge variety of interpolation options if you need it, you will usually get better quality and control relying on it for scaling. Since this is a 1920x1200 monitor that is well within Mister's capabilities to cover.

The whole atrac17 custom modes stuff is really about getting the sharpest experience on a 4K TV, when the Mister cannot do 4K output. So you try to output a resolution that does integer scaling in both directions and completely fills the output, giving the cleanest possible sample for the TV to upscale from. The scaling and sharpness enhancement in LG TVs is also kind of decent so its a good pairing. Although personally I just use 1080p and 5x cut on the same TV and call it a day, since I'm using a little bit of blur anyways for that CRT feel, and this keeps things even for shadow masks.