Just Can’t Get I-PAC2 to Work Any Alternatives?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
TheBR

Just Can’t Get I-PAC2 to Work Any Alternatives?

Unread post by TheBR »

Hey All,
I'm at my wits end with the IPAC2.

Nothing i do seems to make it work properly with the MisterFPGA in keyboard mode.

It gets recognised and i can go through the joystick setup but despite this, cores like Pacman refuse to recognise buttons like P2 start (but they do work as i can test them in the shell) and my PC point blankly refuses when using WinIPAC2 to recognise the board unless its in safe mode and even then its been hit and miss.

Is there another alternative to use an arcade joystick, 6 button per player + Coin / Start (per player) setup?

thorr
Top Contributor

Re: Just Can’t Get I-PAC2 to Work Any Alternatives?

Unread post by thorr »

TheBR wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:02 pm

Is there another alternative to use an arcade joystick, 6 button per player + Coin / Start (per player) setup?

https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder

I use this for a lot of my arcade stuff. Just a tip in case you have a similar setup. I have a front panel on my arcade cabinet with buttons for start, and a real coin slot, and for that, I have a dedicated Arduino that sends keyboard presses. I needed and extra dummy button for mapping though because the first question it asks you to do is press right, but there is no right on the front panel.

Giddygoon

Unread post by Giddygoon »

Check this link, I had the same issues, you need the latest Ipac so you can get it out of keyboard mode and into Xinput or controller mode :

I now have three arcade cabs running with two players and coins,

See this link for steps on how to : viewtopic.php?t=448&start=60

hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Hi there, I've been using an ipac for awhile after you setup player 1 it will ask if you want to set up alternate controls. When you select yes it will run through setup again but this time its for player 2. Have you done this?

hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Have you made the required changes to the ini file for ipac to work?

AmanoJacu

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

In case it helps, I used this guide to successfully have 2 players with a single mini-pac in mister:

viewtopic.php?t=448

J3RK

Unread post by J3RK »

I got mine working perfectly on the MiSTer as well. XInput, and a couple of minor INI changes. I did run the config utility on Windows first to set the buttons up. Then plugged it into the MiSTer, and then made INI changes.

TheBR

Unread post by TheBR »

Giddygoon wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:34 am

Check this link, I had the same issues, you need the latest Ipac so you can get it out of keyboard mode and into Xinput or controller mode :

I now have three arcade cabs running with two players and coins,

See this link for steps on how to : viewtopic.php?t=448&start=60

Hi,
So im trying this out and when connected to Mister and I re-define keys it DOES say D-Pad R ... not Keyobard Right now its in Xinput mode.

I did set up 2 extra buttons, shifted in WinIPAC, for button 1 and 2 for each player to be button 9 and 10 for each player. (However this setup reverts when the IPAC gets unplugged so this isnt working)

However, when i goto re-define keys i go through all the options until i get to the menu, menu back and menu ok section.

It states i can use 2 button combos here - but this doesnt work if it press two buttons it takes whatever button is pressed first, likewise if i try to use my shifted button it doesnt see it. (Due to it being reset - see above)

Any ideas? Can i ask how you set yours up?

TheBR

Unread post by TheBR »

hiddenbyleaves wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:51 am

Have you made the required changes to the ini file for ipac to work?

Yes, I have dont this but see above, i'm trying something else for now.

TheBR

Unread post by TheBR »

Finally made some progress after being at this for 2 days. Didnt have much luck with Xinput mode either - what did work was SSHing nto the Mister, removing and recreating th MiSTer.ini, changing to the config dir and deleting all the .cfg and .CFG files as well as the keyboard mappings that had previously been created.

Then i started making progress, something in one of those files was whacked and it was just not going to work for me.

Using Pacman as a test really frustrated me as it didnt take 2 from the keyboard for starting player 2, only F2. So i mapped F2 to P2Start as a shift and then remapped the button inside Pacman.

They dont like making this easy.