Video Info On CRT TV 15Khz

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
AmintaMister

Video Info On CRT TV 15Khz

Unread post by AmintaMister »

Hi there!

I use my Trinitron consumer 15 kHz CRT Tv hooked up to MiSTer via scart to vga (analog board), setting composite_sync to 1 and vga_scaler to 0. In this way, I thought, each core CAN automatically set its native resolution(s) and I don’t need to set manually any video mode. It seems to work but…in video info I read ALWAYS, under the native resolution of the core, that the current resolution is 640x240. Why!?

aberu
Core Developer

Re: Video Info On CRT TV 15Khz

Unread post by aberu »

Why not? This might be normal.

Each core's resolutions will vary, not only by core, but often by the software that is running on the core (the roms).

What core are you referring to with a 640x224 reported resolution?

birdybro~
AmintaMister

aberu wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:56 am

Why not? This might be normal.

Each core's resolutions will vary, not only by core, but often by the software that is running on the core (the roms).

What core are you referring to with a 640x224 reported resolution?

Every one of them, that is very strange...

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

If the cores display properly without artifacts despite this rez being reported then it's rather strange. Perhaps try with a fresh mister.ini from here.

AmintaMister

akeley wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:04 am

If the cores display properly without artifacts despite this rez being reported then it's rather strange. Perhaps try with a fresh mister.ini from here.

Ok I will try! So, in CRT TV 15khz hooked up via analog board VGA to scart and composite_sync=1 and vga_scaler=0, the two resolutions displayed on video info have to be always the same?

I mean: if I'm in a NES game and the resolution (native resolution of the machine) showed in the first row of video info "popup" is 256×240px, I MUST have also 256×240px on the second row, right? Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks for your help!

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

AmintaMister wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:20 am

Ok I will try! So, in CRT TV 15khz hooked up via analog board VGA to scart and composite_sync=1 and vga_scaler=0, the two resolutions displayed on video info have to be always the same?

I mean: if I'm in a NES game and the resolution (native resolution of the machine) showed in the first row of video info "popup" is 256×240px, I MUST have also 256×240px on the second row, right? Is this the expected behavior?

Noooo....they should be different, that's the normal behaviour. The first one is the original hardware output, the second one (I think) is the scaler rez - the one you set with video_mode in the .ini.

Sorry, I thought you mean your first number is always 640x224, no matter the core, so that would be weird. If that's the second one it means you probably set it in the .ini as such, and it doesn't affect you because you're outputting analogue signal.

Actually, I don't really know exactly how it works so this is just my layman's understanding 8-) Perhaps somebody else can clarify it better.

AmintaMister

akeley wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:02 am
AmintaMister wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:20 am

Noooo....they should be different, that's the normal behaviour. The first one is the original hardware output, the second one (I think) is the scaler rez - the one you set with video_mode in the .ini.

Sorry, I thought you mean your first number is always 640x240, no matter the core, so that would be weird. If that's the second one it means you probably set it in the .ini as such, and it doesn't affect you because you're outputting analgoue signal.

Actually, I don't really know exactly how it works so this is just my layman's understanding 8-) Perhaps somebody else can clarify it better.

Sorry, not... I've set nowhere that "640x240", I've set no video_mode at all... this is the strange behaviour...

Gryzor

Unread post by Gryzor »

Hi there,

Your CRT should display the same resolution as original hardware would, if you're using the analog port.
For instance, Castlevania on the Mega Drive switches between 256x224 and 320x224 and that's exactly what the MiSTer will display. Your ini-file should look similar to this:

[MiSTer]
key_menu_as_rgui=0 ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0 ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0 ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=1 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0 ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0 ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
vscale_mode=0 ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
; 1 - use integer scale only.
; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
vscale_border=0 ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-399)
;bootscreen=0 ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig.
;mouse_throttle=10 ; 1-100 mouse speed divider. Useful for very sensitive mice
rbf_hide_datecode=0 ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle
menu_pal=0 ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=0 ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
; 2 - use limited (16..255) color range over HDMI, for VGA converters.
direct_video=0 ; 1 - enable core video timing over HDMI, use only with VGA converters.
fb_size=0 ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
fb_terminal=1 ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
osd_timeout=30 ; 5-3600 timeout (in seconds) for OSD to disappear in Menu core. 30 seconds if not set.
; Background picture will get darker after double timeout
osd_rotate=0 ; Display OSD menu rotated, 0 - no rotation, 1 - rotate right (+90°), 2 - rotate left (-90°)

Hope this helps :)

AmintaMister

Gryzor wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:38 am

Hi there,

Your CRT should display the same resolution as original hardware would, if you're using the analog port.
For instance, Castlevania on the Mega Drive switches between 256x224 and 320x224 and that's exactly what the MiSTer will display. Your ini-file should look similar to this:

[MiSTer]
key_menu_as_rgui=0 ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0 ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0 ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=1 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0 ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0 ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
vscale_mode=0 ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
; 1 - use integer scale only.
; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
vscale_border=0 ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-399)
;bootscreen=0 ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig.
;mouse_throttle=10 ; 1-100 mouse speed divider. Useful for very sensitive mice
rbf_hide_datecode=0 ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle
menu_pal=0 ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=0 ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
; 2 - use limited (16..255) color range over HDMI, for VGA converters.
direct_video=0 ; 1 - enable core video timing over HDMI, use only with VGA converters.
fb_size=0 ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
fb_terminal=1 ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
osd_timeout=30 ; 5-3600 timeout (in seconds) for OSD to disappear in Menu core. 30 seconds if not set.
; Background picture will get darker after double timeout
osd_rotate=0 ; Display OSD menu rotated, 0 - no rotation, 1 - rotate right (+90°), 2 - rotate left (-90°)

Hope this helps :)

Thanks, copy/pasted exactly your .ini, but I get this result:

IMG-9779.jpg
IMG-9779.jpg (99.13 KiB) Viewed 3095 times

However it seems to me that every cores resize itself correctly, even if a "wrong" resolution info is showed...

Gryzor

Unread post by Gryzor »

Your setup is fine. The res above indicates your analog output, which is what matters, while the one below states the digital output res.
If you’re using a CRT, you can pretty much ignore the 2nd line shown, cause you’re not connecting via hdmi at all :P

AmintaMister

Gryzor wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:49 pm

Your setup is fine. The res above indicates your analog output, which is what matters, while the one below states the digital output res.
If you’re using a CRT, you can pretty much ignore the 2nd line shown, cause you’re not connecting via hdmi at all :P

Ah now I've understood, many thanks!!!!