So What Happened in 2023?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Akuma

So What Happened in 2023?

Unread post by Akuma »

Its been a while since I've been here iirc its been almost a year, life seems to get in the way :lol:

So except for the N64 core, are there any other core's or updates standing out I need to try ?

Please let me know,
Thanks guys

Swainy

Re: So What Happened in 2023?

Unread post by Swainy »

The Saturn core is well worth a try now.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

The Apple IIe core is in really good shape. Also PC-XT.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

N.

Sixty.

Four.

birdybro~
12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

BBC Bridge Companion!

...as well as Neo Geo CD and Irem M92.

Longtime4321

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

MikeS1's Y/C framework was finalized, and integrated into main!! This makes perfect composite output possible, and is huge for people like me who can't get pvm's and prefer composite.
N64 was both announced, and, especially recently, an amazing amount of progress has been made!
The option to disable autofire was added to the ini settings. This pleases me and only me.
Nuked MD happened, which is a little jaw dropping to see!
And the most important thing to happen in 2023, is of course, drumroll please
I ate a 2 week old floor chicken-strip and vomited

jordi

Unread post by jordi »

Pleez I ask Santa to repair the MacPlus core sound for 2024

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Simpsons Arcade two of some of my favorite arcade beat em ups. On the script side we have a whole new NFC system thanks to the Wizzo script so with a simple nfc sticker you on your IRL games you can launch your game interface free. And on that there is a new web interface script thanks to Wizzo again and is hands down the best way to interact with the MiSTer including taking screenshots, changing settings, keyboard and remote control and full game library search and launching! Seriously if you don't install the Mister remote script you are missing out it is night and day the easiest way to use the MiSTer. I gave my MiSTer an static IP a while ago because I liked to ssh into it to run scripts and update and it just made things easier and it only made launching the remote script easy I installed the webpage to the home screen on my phone and it is so easy to launch and run.

Display options we have had the Y/C cores we have had more composite support and now with the Lazerbear HDMI to component adapter you can hook up your mister to a consumer North American component TV without an IO board! MiSTer addons released the composite to RF adapter so with the composite support in cores you can now hook it up to a TV with RF without a VCR!

As for cores we have the all new Tamagotchi core! and we have Neo Geo CD as well. X-Men arcade, Mortal Kombat, NeoGeo Pocket, N64 and Saturn are all on their way who know when they may be released.

All in all we had a great year and things are set up for next year to be amazing as well!

Video of NFC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwQviLwWHYM
Video of Remote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hpF3laclaM

Wizzo Github https://github.com/wizzomafizzo/mrext

Fear is the mind killer!
Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

Thanks guys :D

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

jordi wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:47 pm

Just making sure that you are aware of the Shapeshifter setup for the Amiga core, gives you a Mac OS 7.5.5 or 8.1 setup that runs most Mac games up to and including SimCity 2000.

(The Mac didn’t really have much in the way of custom chips, so the Amiga emulation setup is very accurate, since they share CPUs)

Not that the core shouldn’t be improved, of course — but it scratches my itch for classic Mac OS games.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

limi wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:05 am

(The Mac didn’t really have much in the way of custom chips, so the Amiga emulation setup is very accurate, since they share CPUs)

Which Amiga model, and which Mac model is Shapeshifter emulating using the native CPU? Is the timing the same as a real Mac or is it slower/faster?
I have a Mac LC III. How does that compare to what the MiSTer can do in it's Amiga core?

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

They are roughly comparable, the Amiga core is about the same as a 68030 running at 50 MHz, the LC III/III+ was an ’030 at 25/33 MHz.

(And yes, as many YouTube videos will point out, the fastest Classic Mac ever was… an Amiga. You could run Shapeshifter on a 68060, which was never possible on the Mac itself)

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

I've used the shapehifter image with the Minimig core a while back, and it runs great at 1080p

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

there is a new project called marsfpga, that supposedly will run DC and Killer Instinct and other systems.

jordi

Unread post by jordi »

limi wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:05 am
jordi wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:47 pm

Just making sure that you are aware of the Shapeshifter setup for the Amiga core, gives you a Mac OS 7.5.5 or 8.1 setup that runs most Mac games up to and including SimCity 2000.

Not that the core shouldn’t be improved, of course — but it scratches my itch for classic Mac OS games.

I know and I used it, but it breaks a bit the experience to launch an emulator, even an accurate one. My message was in general that some computer cores could improve.

I have Macs since their prime.

limi
Top Contributor

Re: The “Cycle Accurate” Conundrum and Is There a List of Cores That Are?

Unread post by limi »

jordi wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:18 pm

I know and I used it, but it breaks a bit the experience to launch an emulator, even an accurate one. My message was in general that some computer cores could improve.

Fully agreed! That being said, besides the startup Mac chime, it should launch straight into Mac OS, and you shouldn’t see any Amiga-related bits when you start it up. At least the version I tried did that.