Nintendo 64 Input Situation

antibolo

Re: Nintendo 64 Input Situation

Unread post by antibolo »

So outside of SNAC, it sounds like the best possible controller for MiSTer is Nintendo's own NSO N64 controller for Switch, right?

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

antibolo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:48 pm

So outside of SNAC, it sounds like the best possible controller for MiSTer is Nintendo's own NSO N64 controller for Switch, right?

If you're looking for the OG look and feel of the controller, yes.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

You can also use a USB adapter and an original controller.

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

or the Brawler64 NSO

sgthortez

Unread post by sgthortez »

How well does the 8bitdo hall effect stick work with an OEM controller via SNAC? I'm debating whether to go hall effect or kitsch-bent for upgrading some atomic purple.

nonono

Unread post by nonono »

Well, I have two. One is a full 8bitdo kit transplant the other just has a new analog stick.

Both are almost perfect 1:1 to the original stock stick using the controller test ROM. Definitely the best replacement I've used.

Lloyd2084

Unread post by Lloyd2084 »

@nonono. Where can one find this test ROM please?

I’m using a NSO controller as I can’t seem to get SNAC to work on my Mistercade. The range is spot on but I find it is a little too sensitive. It is hard to get Mario to creep or walk slowly and he launches into a sprint too soon. It’s really hard to aim the cannon for example. Is there anything I can use to change the sensitivity?

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Lloyd2084 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:13 am

https://github.com/wermipls/mimi

rhester72
Top Contributor

I’m using a NSO controller as I can’t seem to get SNAC to work on my Mistercade. The range is spot on but I find it is a little too sensitive. It is hard to get Mario to creep or walk slowly and he launches into a sprint too soon. It’s really hard to aim the cannon for example. Is there anything I can use to change the sensitivity?

I seem to recall an updated kernel was required for this, but I don't have any of the details, sorry.

antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

I just got the NSO controller as well. So far I haven’t had any problems, however I feel that the analog stick is definitely much stiffer than on the original controllers. Maybe that’s what’s throwing you off? I can imagine it being an annoyance for someone with a lot of existing muscle memory with the N64 controller (which I don’t, as I never owned a N64 myself so my experience with the controller is limited to playing multiplayer at friends’ houses).

parawizard

Unread post by parawizard »

I've been sleuthing around trying to figure out what to buy. So far I bought 20 oem controllers and a bunch of kitsch-bent replacement parts. Will rebuild them all. Will keep 4 for myself and sell off the rest.

8bitdo kits look cool but I can buy brand new Tribute64 v2 for the same price as the kit. I also don't want to use bluetooth vs a dedicated wireless adapter. I also don't care about switch compatibility at all. Maybe OEM + adapter for now and maybe something better later!

I might just grab some raphnet adapters when they restock in March.

Lloyd2084

Unread post by Lloyd2084 »

It feels like the og had a bigger dead zone over the nso. I think I need to crack out my n64 and compare.

parawizard

Unread post by parawizard »

Might grab two reflex adapters? Looks useful as I can also use it on PC. Can adapt most things with the right adapter cable and is in stock currently. Kinda of pricey though if I just want n64 controllers.

Edit: Bought two reflex adapts and some cables. :lol:

Cyberdonks

Unread post by Cyberdonks »

Does anyone know if the 8BitDo N64 Hall Effect Replacement Joystick is compatible and can be used on the official NSO N64 Controller?

rhester72
Top Contributor

@Cyberdonks I don't know about the NSO controller, but I can tell you that after very heavy testing, I find the 8BitDo hall effect stick to be vastly inferior to the Retro-Bit one. The former has a completely square range of motion, where the latter is circular (and thus also able to be properly constrained by the gate mechanism, coming much closer to forming a proper octagon).

Cyberdonks

Unread post by Cyberdonks »

@rhester72

Okay, but I was asking about whether the Hall Effect joystick replacement offered by 8BitDo can even be used on the NSO controller, not about the quality of it.

But based upon your feedback, does anyone know if the Hall Effect Joysticks offered for the standard N64 controller by 8BitDo and RetroBit also work as a stick replacement on the official NSO N64 Controller?

AngelicLiver

Cyberdonks wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:04 am

Does anyone know if the 8BitDo N64 Hall Effect Replacement Joystick is compatible and can be used on the official NSO N64 Controller?

The 8bitdo joystick replacement is intended for OEM controllers (6-pin), the official NSO N64 controller uses a 4-pin FPC connector. So no, it is not compatible unfortunately.

sq4golt.jpeg
sq4golt.jpeg (35.56 KiB) Viewed 523 times
bisboch

Unread post by bisboch »

Ikefix wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:07 pm

EDIT: nevermind, it works :) I use it with a mayflash 103 oh my god, it is exactly as I remember it, I just have to find a rumble

Wtf, z (crouch) fonction (not the button) does not work, even it does work when mapping it

Fixed, somehow the xbox 360 controller that was plugged at the same time was messing up the z fonction,

Hi,
I happen to have my two N64 original controllers and a Mayflash 103 which I use for the NSO N64 app with no problem (apart no rumble, but it's a known issue there)

did you do something particular to make the Mayflash 103 work with the N64 core? Which kind of input you set the thingie on? I cannot get the C-left and C-down work no matter how I try (not even in MiSTer main menu). Maybe I'm missing something very obvious!
Thanks in advance,
B.

AngelicLiver

Have you tried mapping the C-buttons to the second analog stick in Main? Often these adapters treat C-buttons this way and when you come to map the buttons in the core the mapping process gets confused because it doesn't understand why it is seeing an axis input rather than a real button-press.

somechris

Unread post by somechris »

I just got the retro-bit Tribute 64 last week and am overall very happy with it. 20 plus years ago (!!!) I had an interact makopad sv-234, and that was the closest to a functional N64 controller I've ever had. I have an official N64 controller, and I'll probably buy the BT NSO one eventually, but I'm just as happy to keep using this. The mayflash adapter+oem was just too slow to ever work for my poor reflexes (plus we're talking PC), so this is like the first controller that has been able to adequately reproduce the N64, and as a plus it is actually more comfortable. I have an 8bitdo ultimate pro for PSx style controls, so that's still an option where a C-Stick makes more sense than C-buttons.

BlockABoots

Unread post by BlockABoots »

So i have an N64 USB pad that i bought ages ago Im not sure on the manufacture as theres no marking just says 'Made in China' on the top of the pad. The pad works fine in Windows but with the MiSTer it doesn't detect any movement when moving the analog stick up and down!. Any ideas why this happens?

Antoine.WG

Unread post by Antoine.WG »

BlockABoots wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:34 pm

So i have an N64 USB pad that i bought ages ago Im not sure on the manufacture as theres no marking just says 'Made in China' on the top of the pad. The pad works fine in Windows but with the MiSTer it doesn't detect any movement when moving the analog stick up and down!. Any ideas why this happens?

Have you mapped the buttons on it? It should ask about stick 1 and stick 2, just press the menu button for "undefined" on stick 2 or any other buttons it doesn't have.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Make sure you didn't map the analog stick in the core menu, if the core asks for up, down, left, right this refers to the D-Pad. The analog stick should only be mapped in the main menu where you register the pad.

BlockABoots

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:48 am

Make sure you didn't map the analog stick in the core menu, if the core asks for up, down, left, right this refers to the D-Pad. The analog stick should only be mapped in the main menu where you register the pad.

Hmmm, when defining the button for the pad i notice it doesn't ask to set anything regarding the analog stick just d-pad

AngelicLiver

Make sure you didn't map the analog stick in the core menu

You don't map the analog stick in the core menu; make sure you map it from the main menu.

BlockABoots

AngelicLiver wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:42 am

Make sure you didn't map the analog stick in the core menu

You don't map the analog stick in the core menu; make sure you map it from the main menu.

Ah that worked. The first time it was only asking me to input right on analog stick 1 but this time it asked for right and then down. Thanks for the help

Valtyr

Unread post by Valtyr »

Having an odd issue with the 8BitDo N64 controller mod kit. All inputs register fine in Steam and on the Switch, but when I attempt to bind inputs in the MiSTer main menu, it only recognizes a a few. For instance, it reads "D Pad Right" fine, but when it asks for D Pad Left, it won't read the input.
My normal guess would be that the PCB isn't getting a good connection with the buttons, but like I said, controller works fine elsewhere. This is all on D-Input; on S-Input it won't register anything at all.

Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

Guys, I’ve got a fairly cheap N64 USB controller which works fine apart from the Start button which despite defining in the core, it brings up the MiSTer menu each time I press it as if I’m pressing F12 on my keyboard. Any ideas on how to fix this?

jordi

Unread post by jordi »

Swainy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:50 pm

Guys, I’ve got a fairly cheap N64 USB controller which works fine apart from the Start button which despite defining in the core, it brings up the MiSTer menu each time I press it as if I’m pressing F12 on my keyboard. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Some controller have operation mode. You might select x-input mode

Do you have the manual?

Krypto

Unread post by Krypto »

Swainy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:50 pm

X-Input vs D-Input.

For console emulation, I like to use controllers that are identical or very similar to the native controller, although for the N64 as long as the button layout is similar that's enough since original controller is such an oddball. The first controller I tried was a Retro Fighters Brawler64 (wired) USB edition. That thing was always stuck in X-Input mode and exhibited the "menu no start button" feature. Supposedly you could get the controller switched to D-Input mode, but after screwing with it for an hour in Mister, Linux, Windows with no success I gave up and returned it.

It seems all the cheaper USB wired look-alike N64 controllers are shite, so I then purchased Retro-bit Tribute64 wireless. This has worked perfectly out of the box with MiSTer, no button problems and according to the chart it only has 5 ms of latency. I haven't tested the rumble feature yet.