Nintendo 64 Input Situation

Longtime4321

Nintendo 64 Input Situation

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

Let this be a topic for discussing how the N64 core handles inputs, progress on the input situation going forward, advice, ect.

I'll start the discussion by asking how everyone is going to personally handle controlling N64 games. The N64 controller has a joystick range unique to it, and everyones gonna go about it differently. Please, share your wisdom with the public!

vteckickedinyo

Re: Nintendo 64 Input Situation

Unread post by vteckickedinyo »

Currently I'm using an Xbox One controller. I'm only playing StarFox atm, will play snowboard kids and report back.
I remember SBK at it's end game is more difficult on the stick than SF64.
The default controls were not great and so I mapped the C-right & C-up to right stick and set A as A, X as B, B as C-down, Y as C-left. Left trigger Z, right trigger as R.
This button layout is mainly for SF64 to make the Xbone as comfy as possible, IMO.
The stick sensitivity is not great, but better than most modern third party N64 controllers.
I have a few moments where I need to have surgeon like hands to do something that I remember not struggling as much on original hardware.
Unfortunately, I no longer have functional N64 controllers to compare directly today. Here is a first attempt at SF64 in a 2ish years on said Xbone controller.

Attachments
Starfox64_8-10-23_First attempt in 2 years.png
Starfox64_8-10-23_First attempt in 2 years.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 15935 times
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

I bought a cheap USB N64 gamepad a while ago. It is not very high quality, but does the job just fine. I always found playing N64 games with everything than an N64 controller to much of a hassle.

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

Bought 2 used N64 controllers for $8 each, connected with a Raphnet 2P adapter. Also picked up a Rumble Pak for $3, works fine with the Raphnet.

MrSniffles

Unread post by MrSniffles »

Using a Retrobit Tribute USB and using the dpad shoots all over the place in Misters menus.

Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

The Timville 4daptor works well with the core and an original controller

https://github.com/timville85/4dapter

dcubed

Unread post by dcubed »

Naturally the best choice is going to be the official Switch NSO N64 controller (or the original N64 controller with some sort of adapter). Perfect 1:1 mapping.

Anything else is going to be a bit of an awkward compromise. The reality of the situation is that N64 games don't really feel natural on anything other than that original controller; it's an issue that has plagued N64 emulation since the dawn of time.

The N64 core has a bigger problem than most other solutions though because there's no way to map the c-buttons to a second analogue stick...

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

Retrobit Tribute USB

it just doesn't recognize any button to use as osd menu automatically

I always have to go press on mister board.

GuilhermeC

Unread post by GuilhermeC »

I'm currently using a 8bitdo modkit for the N64 controller, works great using bluetooth, but has weird issues when using wired USB. Both this and the DS4 I usually use for casual gaming have weird issues with analog sensitivity, range is -127 to +127 (normal for USB/Bluetooth) instead of the usual +/- 80 to 85 I'd expect from original N64 controllers on real hardware. There are a bunch of ROMs for testing analog range, here are a few:
https://github.com/Ryzee119/n64_controller_test
https://github.com/wermipls/mimi
https://github.com/sanni/controllertest ... r/N64-Port

It doesn't matter if I'm using the original thumbstick module with optical encoders or the hall effect module 8bitdo is selling, when plugged to an original controller board to a N64 with a flashcart, I get one range, when using with the 8bitdo board on the MiSTer, I have another range. Some games can get tough to properly control with the extended range.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that with the original controller PCB and most alternative ones I can simultaneously press every d-pad and C directions at the same time and those test ROMs will register it just fine, but using the 8bitdo modkit opposite inputs cancel out. I'm not sure if this is something done on the 8bitdo firmware, just a consequence of Bluetooth/HID limitations or something in how the MiSTer handles USB and Bluetooth controllers. I'm not sure it will affect any games, but I just found it curious and decided to share this.

dcubed wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:07 pm

The N64 core has a bigger problem than most other solutions though because there's no way to map the c-buttons to a second analogue stick...

Weird, I did just that with my DS4. Did you try configuring it in the MiSTer main menu before setting up inside the N64 core?

EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

Hi all, I am having issues with getting the rumble functionality to work on my NSO N64 (using bluetooth) and the Brawler 64 NSO edition (using both d and x input modes).

Am I doing anything wrong or are these controllers not able to vibrate yet?

dcubed

Unread post by dcubed »

GuilhermeC wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:00 am

Weird, I did just that with my DS4. Did you try configuring it in the MiSTer main menu before setting up inside the N64 core?

Oh? That works? Thanks for the heads up, might have to give that a try at some point :D

metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

vteckickedinyo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:45 pm

Currently I'm using an Xbox One controller. I'm only playing StarFox atm, will play snowboard kids and report back.
I remember SBK at it's end game is more difficult on the stick than SF64.
The default controls were not great and so I mapped the C-right & C-up to right stick and set A as A, X as B, B as C-down, Y as C-left. Left trigger Z, right trigger as R.
This button layout is mainly for SF64 to make the Xbone as comfy as possible, IMO.
The stick sensitivity is not great, but better than most modern third party N64 controllers.
I have a few moments where I need to have surgeon like hands to do something that I remember not struggling as much on original hardware.
Unfortunately, I no longer have functional N64 controllers to compare directly today. Here is a first attempt at SF64 in a 2ish years on said Xbone controller.

Your monitor looks awesome, its so much brighter than my diamondtron philips i have on the n64 core - i just wondered what settings you were using? My n64 core seems washed out compared to a lot of the other cores - sorry for the off topic question.

vteckickedinyo

Unread post by vteckickedinyo »

metalfacemark wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:40 pm

Your monitor looks awesome, its so much brighter than my diamondtron philips i have on the n64 core - i just wondered what settings you were using? My n64 core seems washed out compared to a lot of the other cores - sorry for the off topic question.

The settings on the Dell ultrascan (it's a Sony Trinitron monitor rebadged) are 50% brightness, 86% contrast.
MiSTer video processing settings are the JVC preset then used SL_DK_010_BR_100 for vert filter.
I could go brighter, but my eyes have serious light sensitivity.
📱☀️ 🔥 👀
In all seriousness, this setup is very ideal. It looks like how i remember it as a child (I had a JVC tv growing up), only without the composite and using VGA.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

EvilRyu wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:35 am

Hi all, I am having issues with getting the rumble functionality to work on my NSO N64 (using bluetooth) and the Brawler 64 NSO edition (using both d and x input modes).

I have the Brawler 64 NSO, and the Tribute 64, and rumble currently does not work on the Brawler, but does on the Tribute. I have let Retrofighters know about the issue with the Brawler and expect to see a firmware update to fix it at some point.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

pbsk8 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:31 pm

Retrobit Tribute USB

I don't have this issue. I think you need to remap in the Mister main menu. I chose one of the little buttons towards the top for the OSD function.

EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

thorr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:22 pm
EvilRyu wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:35 am

I have the Brawler 64 NSO, and the Tribute 64, and rumble currently does not work on the Brawler, but does on the Tribute. I have let Retrofighters know about the issue with the Brawler and expect to see a firmware update to fix it at some point.

Hey thanks for confirming it. It also does not work with the N64 official NSO controller, is that also a known behaviour?

Longtime4321

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

Hearing my prayer, 8bitdo is working on N64 controllers They look pretty good, I'll be interested in the stick range. Most aftermarket pads have ranges that are off by some, so hopefully this alliviates that.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 12.20.55 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 12.20.55 PM.png (325.07 KiB) Viewed 14676 times
Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

My 8bitdo wireless conversion kit for my N64 controller arrived the other day

Easy to fit and the new hall effect analogue stick is just brilliant

Works fine with the N64 core

Chris23235
Top Contributor

pbsk8 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:31 pm

Retrobit Tribute USB

I mapped the OSD to one of the grey top buttons on the pad and this works.

GuilhermeC

Unread post by GuilhermeC »

Hi folks, I've noted a few good changes:

• Analog forward/back left/right are +/- 85 now
  • Analog diagonals are +/- 69 now
  • Using the 8bitdo modkit for the N64 controller on Switch mode, the C buttons are recognized as buttons, not as a second analog stick
  • on the same controller on Switch mode, there's no more SOCD filtering on the C buttons (didn't test on the d-pad, as I would have to disassemble the controller to test)

I had to re-pair the controller and re-map the buttons on the MiSTer main menu after putting the controller on Switch mode, and then map it again on the N64 core to get everything working again after leaving D-Input mode. Changing back and forth between D-Input and Switch modes works fine, but I did not test if it's possible to, for example, pair to the Switch on Switch mode and the MiSTer on D-input mode, or the MiSTer on Switch mode and a PC on D-Input mode, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works.

I still couldn't get the rumble functionality to work on the 8bitdo modkit, but it's working fine on my DS4 on the N64 core. Note I'm using the stable MiSTer, not the latest unstable. I do not know if rumble is already working on the current unstable or not.

MiSTer v231018
OS v230501
N64 v231021

syltefar

Unread post by syltefar »

I bought a HORI Fighting Commander OCTA, which maps pretty well to the Nintendo 64 controller:

hori64.png
hori64.png (153.54 KiB) Viewed 11901 times
Chris23235
Top Contributor

GuilhermeC wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:40 pm

I still couldn't get the rumble functionality to work on the 8bitdo modkit, but it's working fine on my DS4 on the N64 core. Note I'm using the stable MiSTer, not the latest unstable. I do not know if rumble is already working on the current unstable or not.

At least with the retrobit Tribute64 Wireless V2 gamepad I had to switch the input mode before I got the rumble. I can't see what it is switched now to as the only indicator is 1 LED or 2 LEDs and the manual doesn't tell me which is which. But I think default mode is D-Input and I have switched it to D-Input now.
I am also on the stable MiSter and rumble works.

Bristles

Unread post by Bristles »

I thought to get rumble, any controller has to be set to X-Input mode ?
At least that is what it says on the Mister Github Docs.
The Brawler64 rumble doesn't work, period, on a Mister. You can test rumble, and indeed any controller's rumble, at the main menu - holding the "L" button and pressing the "X" or "Y" buttons on your controller. If it rumbles, then you should be able to get rumble in cores that support rumble. If it doesn't, like the Brawler64, then you're out of luck. All my controllers with rumble, work fine using the L + X or Y buttons on the menu, except the Brawler64. So, it would be nice if this controller can get some rumble support.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Typo on my side, I think I am in fact on X-Input and not on D-Input.

I was on a USB N64 clone pad before but I wanted the rumble that was why I bought the Tribute64. I would have opted for the Brawler because of the octagonal frame around the jostick, but as I read that thorr wrote in this thread that he didn't got the Brawler to rumble I opted for the Tribute64 (which is a fine pad by the way).

Bio

Unread post by Bio »

syltefar wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:23 am

I bought a HORI Fighting Commander OCTA, which maps pretty well to the Nintendo 64 controller:

What's the latency like for that? I'm getting a timeout error when I try to check misteraddons's latency chart, so I'm not sure if this one has already been tested.

Edit: The page loaded for me. 2.9ms. I've gone ahead and ordered it. I'm really excited to see how it handles.

drdysonsphere

Unread post by drdysonsphere »

It seems the N64 core now has SNAC support. The N64 controller is a simple and has ground, +3.3V and a data IO line.
Does anyone have know which IO pin is used for SNAC?

Be aware that the N64 controller is 3.3v and the SNAC IO is 5v (on the USB3 style connector), voltage conversion will need to be done.

drdysonsphere

I figured out N64 SNAC support and got it working.
The data pin (middle pin on N64 controller) goes to D- (white wire if you cut a USB cable and use USB-A) of the User IO (USB 3 looking port) on the Mister IO board.
I used an LD33V (voltage regulator) that I had to get 3.3V power (from 5V on the user IO).

Works perfectly with my original N64 controller.

H3ML5XLAXBKU

Unread post by H3ML5XLAXBKU »

drdysonsphere wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:39 pm

I figured out N64 SNAC support and got it working.
The data pin (middle pin on N64 controller) goes to D- (white wire if you cut a USB cable and use USB-A) of the User IO (USB 3 looking port) on the Mister IO board.
I used an LD33V (voltage regulator) that I had to get 3.3V power (from 5V on the user IO).

Works perfectly with my original N64 controller.

Do you mean that it is as simple as adding an LD33V between an n64 controller port and and a usb cable? As in I could get a an extension cable, cut it in half, then solder in an LD33V between it and a USB cable, then the result is a snac adapter for N64?

Like this?

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 8.29.02 pm.png
Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 8.29.02 pm.png (51.06 KiB) Viewed 11069 times
drdysonsphere

H3ML5XLAXBKU wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:44 am

Do you mean that it is as simple as adding an LD33V between an n64 controller port and and a usb cable? As in I could get a an extension cable, cut it in half, then solder in an LD33V between it and a USB cable, then the result is a snac adapter for N64?

Like this?

Yes, that should work fine and similar to what I did.
Any 3.3v regulator will work, I just happened to have a LD33V on hand.
I split the end connector open and there was enough space to fit the regulator inside.

The IO pin (D-) is at the correct voltage level of 3.3v, so no level shifter is needed.
I had no issues so far, been playing for hours.

Attachments
n64_snac2.png
n64_snac2.png (160.88 KiB) Viewed 11017 times
Megahurtz

Unread post by Megahurtz »

Has anybody gotten rumble to work with the NSO N64 controller?

One other minor quirk with that controller. The player assignments LEDs constantly scan back and forth while using it. It never settles on a single one for me. Is that consistent with what others are seeing?