Correct CHD Pack on archive.org?

metalfacemark

Correct CHD Pack on archive.org?

Unread post by metalfacemark »

I downloaded from archive.org the Sega Saturn CHD US 2020 pack - i cant get any of them to run on the new unstable core - they show up for loading the chd but just get the "drive bay open" problem.

Can someone recommend another pack that has working files?

rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Correct CHD Pack on archive.org?

Unread post by rhester72 »

I don't think that's the problem.

I've got known-valid CHDs that I used to extract CUE/BINs that work...but if I try the original CHD, even with the very latest unstable Saturn binary and unstable Main-MiSTer, I get the same result as you...none of the CHDs will even attempt to boot.

It's not a BIOS issue - the BIOS works perfectly fine with the CUE/BIN version.

breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

for me chd works with last build of core and main MiSTer ... some from archive.org and other make myself

CPC-Power Staff
12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

Make sure that you use the latest unstable version of MiSTer Main (dated 20231011 or later) together with the unstable Saturn core.

metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

I am using latest unstable core and Saturn release

rhester72
Top Contributor

Ditto, including MiSTer Main 20231016. It just doesn't work with CHDs.

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

I only tried one CHD compressed game so far, and that one worked fine. Was a T-ENG patched version of Silhouette Mirage.

edit: Also tried a random game from this archive.org collection (DecAthlete (USA).chd). Works fine too.

Sega - Saturn [Redump] Collection (CHD)

Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

I had to use the unstable main from the 16th, no other unstable worked for me since a couple of weeks. (Just black screen while turning on).

With that one I can enjoy CHD now.

rhester72
Top Contributor

@Beeble what is the md5sum of your unstable main? Mine is also from the 16th, but no joy.

AdamM

Unread post by AdamM »

I get “CD bios not found!” when trying my CHD files. I’m just on the latest release (from this morning), nothing unstable. I can see the CHD files in the Saturn core but get this message when I try to launch them. I have another set of CHDs downloaded on my PC, so I’ll try those and see if they work.

EDIT: Oh, I need to add and load my own bios. Not a super advanced maneuver, but I assumed going through "official"/stable channels it would be included. I can see why it wouldn't be, so no complaints.

rsn8887

Unread post by rsn8887 »

You need to name your bios boot.rom again. It was boot.bin a while ago, but it was changed back to boot.rom. It is confusing, but those kinds of things are expected with beta WIP core development. CHD works fine for me, using one folder per game, tested with Radiant Silvergun, Bug! And other games. I am still getting CD audio cutting out after a while of playing Sega Rally or Radiant Silvergun. In Bug! (R) release, the cd audio seems fine even after 45 minutes of playing. I think all of that is because it is still a beta core in active development.

pomegran

Unread post by pomegran »

rsn8887 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:00 am

You need to name your bios boot.rom again. It was boot.bin a while ago, but it was changed back to boot.rom. It is confusing, but those kinds of things are expected with beta WIP core development. CHD works fine for me, using one folder per game, tested with Radiant Silvergun, Bug! And other games. I am still getting CD audio cutting out after a while of playing Sega Rally or Radiant Silvergun. In Bug! (R) release, the cd audio seems fine even after 45 minutes of playing. I think all of that is because it is still a beta core in active development.

Agreed here. Sega Rally seems ok most of the time, but Nights into Dreams music cuts out after a few seconds (which is a shame as the music is awesome). I'm going to hold out a while before I invest in new RAM because as you say, it's still very much beta.

I have 2 chip, v2.4 128mb ram btw.

MrsBison

Unread post by MrsBison »

Hi there

maybe my saturn collection is old so i need to ask about the most common and working files. Currently my games do have four files. 1 txt file with the name of the game. One CCD File one SUB File one CHD file. Is this needed or do just the CHD work as a stand alone CHD file in the game folder

Kind regards

im afraid your path ends here ... Jago

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

CHD need no other files. Everything about the CD/DVD data is stored in the single CHD

MrsBison

Unread post by MrsBison »

Hi

Thanx tested it... I was just confused about my files...

Thanx alot

im afraid your path ends here ... Jago