MiSTer Laggy

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
thedirtyscreech

Re: MiSTer Laggy

Unread post by thedirtyscreech »

FYI, the pre-made ones are back in stock again for now.

hipsofjw

Unread post by hipsofjw »

wickerwaka wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:38 am

Yes, this week hopefully. Just waiting for a PCB delivery.

Would it be possible to upload the gerber files you used to print the PCB to github? I see the KiCAD files but no gerbers. Thanks!

wickerwaka
Core Developer

Unread post by wickerwaka »

hipsofjw wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:23 am

Would it be possible to upload the gerber files you used to print the PCB to github? I see the KiCAD files but no gerbers. Thanks!

I've added gerbers, BOM and CPL files.

Sumolx

Unread post by Sumolx »

Received the IR dongle today and these were the average results of my tvs @ 1080p with game mode on:

48ms - Pioneer Kuro 60" FD110
3ms - Sony KDL32EX400
66ms - Samsung UN60F7500
35ms - LG 42LV5500-UA

Not too far out from what I have read from reviews except for the Sony.... that blew me away because I have not found any specific results except that it was sub 9ms but this was really impressive.

chromium

Unread post by chromium »

Ordered one of these from Etsy. Shipping was a killer to Australia, but what do you do?

At least they shipped here :)

I've always wanted a lag tester.

hipsofjw

Unread post by hipsofjw »

wickerwaka wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:39 pm
hipsofjw wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:23 am

I've added gerbers, BOM and CPL files.

Excellent! Thanks so much. I'd order a fully built one from you, but I'm not in the US.

thaKingRocka

Unread post by thaKingRocka »

I just got mine in and it's not working. It shows no sample in the core. I can wave my hand in front of the sensor and it gives times, but it doesn't do anything with my display.

UPDATE: My brightness was too low. I usually keep it at about 25/100. I saw a pretty big variance in the results by setting the brightness to 50 and then to 100. What are the recommended testing settings?

Nat

Unread post by Nat »

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am currently working on a batch of the MiSTer Laggy's. In keeping with my usual practice, I plan to donate a portion of the proceeds with wickerwaka the creator of board and software.

Edit:

Available Now

Lag Test Your Display With a MiSTer Laggy!

MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
Hackshed_Carl

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

Nat wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:15 am

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am currently working on a batch of the MiSTer Laggy's. In keeping with my usual practice, I plan to donate a portion of the proceeds with wickerwaka the creator of board and software.

I know there is a thread for this type of thing but I just wanted to say that I've purchased from Nat in the past.
I required support which was given without question. Excellent service imho.
I will be ordering one of these devices from Nat and it's nice to know that some of the money will go to wickerwaka as a result.

xadox

Unread post by xadox »

Is there already a shipper in Germany or Europe?

gulliben

Unread post by gulliben »

There currently is a seller from the UK (not me): https://www.ebay.de/itm/355213517015

Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

If i have my LG OLED on game mode with VRR switched on (on the TV) but VRR off on mister at 1080p i get a 2.85ms but as soon as i switch on any VRR settings on the mister i get around 10ms.. really weird.

jsvw007

Unread post by jsvw007 »

Bunker wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:20 pm

If i have my LG OLED on game mode with VRR switched on (on the TV) but VRR off on mister at 1080p i get a 2.85ms but as soon as i switch on any VRR settings on the mister i get around 10ms.. really weird.

Interesting.. is it the same 2.85ms if you turn VRR off on the TV and the Mister? So nice to have the Laggy to be able to optimize our setups for a mere $14 shipped!

KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

I'm new to screen lag testing so would like to double check with you all. I get different numbers for top, middle, and bottom rectangles on my CRT and OLED tvs but all three numbers are same on my plasma tv. Is that normal? Getting different numbers for CRT is expected but I don't know about OLED and plasma.

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

Acording to Eiríkr in Discord chat this is normal that Plasma TVs shows the same number for all 3 test positions. CRT and OLED shows different values, and that's correct too. My C9 OLED e.g. shows 17,1ms on bottom position in 1080p@60Hz (with vsync_adjust=2 and VRR Freesync enabled). A frame in 60Hz needs 16,7ms on a CRT to be displayed fully from top to bottom. So i get a real lag of 0.4ms on my TV. As wickerwaka already mentioned in #1: the low latency boost mode from LG is great. Arcade games with odd refreshrates (like 55Hz) shows 1-3ms display lag here (around 19,2ms on bottom).

always measure all 3, but if you're reviewing displays and only dealing with traditional top to bottom scanout(everything except dlp, plasma, global flash lcd) you only need to publish the measurement from the top left since that's the only one that's going to reflect the actual lag.

even when dealing with globally flashed displays like plasma/dlp/global flash lcd, you must do napkin math to reach the real lag numbers. because with those displays top/middle/bottom will be the same number from the lagtester. but the real lag number is again reached by doing the same scanout adjustments

-1 frametime at bottom
-0.5 frametime at middle
-0 at top
for pioneer kuro plasma for example:

timesleuth says 50ms at all 3 measurement points. Actual lag is 35ms bottom, 43ms middle, 50ms top

KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

Oh cool that's very helpful. Thanks

jstav

Unread post by jstav »

Hi,

Cool device and software. I’m wondering if the software could be extended to work with some of the snac lightguns that folks may already have that the mister supports, like the nes zapper? Would there be any technical limitations with using those as the sensor? Just wondering.

Jay

Galen

Unread post by Galen »

Just got my Mr. Laggy today. Awesome stuff!

Here are my test results of my Alienware AW2521HFA monitor:

1920x1080 60hz 4:3
13.23 ms
16.41 ms
22.00 ms

So if I'm not mistaken, that means the monitor has less than 1 frame of lag?

Link040188

Unread post by Link040188 »

so im trying to run a baseline test for my sd crt its a sony kv-27fs12 i have it connected through component cables plugged into the d sub port on the analog i/o board. but it does not seem to output 240p/480i via the analog I/o board it seems like its outputting the same resolution as the hdmi port so it wont display correctly on my sd crt. would i need to use a direct video solution through the hdmi port to get this working on a crt or would that not work either?

Vicosku

Unread post by Vicosku »

Bunker wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:20 pm

Which model do you have? I have a 55" CX. The lowest I can achieve is 9.166ms at 60hz with VRR on at the TV and MiSTer. If I turn VRR off in MiSTer.ini, it goes up to 17.591ms. Wickerwaka reported 2.4ms on the C1 in boost mode. It seems the previous CX model doesn't have this sort of thing. I would love to know if anyone has found settings on the CX that reduce the latency closer to C1 levels.

jsvw007

Unread post by jsvw007 »

Link040188 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:11 am

so im trying to run a baseline test for my sd crt its a sony kv-27fs12 i have it connected through component cables plugged into the d sub port on the analog i/o board. but it does not seem to output 240p/480i via the analog I/o board it seems like its outputting the same resolution as the hdmi port so it wont display correctly on my sd crt. would i need to use a direct video solution through the hdmi port to get this working on a crt or would that not work either?

No, you just need to edit your MiSTer.ini file. Currently you have vga_scaler=1 which means the scaler is on and will output whatever resolution you have set for HDMI through the VGA port as well. You need to change it to vga_scaler=0. that will allow you to do exactly what you are trying to do. It means the native resolution of the core will be output through the VGA port.

Link040188

jsvw007 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:28 pm

No, you just need to edit your MiSTer.ini file. Currently you have vga_scaler=1 which means the scaler is on and will output whatever resolution you have set for HDMI through the VGA port as well. You need to change it to vga_scaler=0. that will allow you to do exactly what you are trying to do. It means the native resolution of the core will be output through the VGA port.

the distorted image was with vga_scaler set to 0 i confirmed with my hd crt that it is sending 240 but for some reason its not getting the proper sync on the sd crt. im going to mess with it some more tonight and test it on an s/video input

Link040188

Link040188 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:59 am

the distorted image was with vga_scaler set to 0 i confirmed with my hd crt that it is sending 240 but for some reason its not getting the proper sync on the sd crt. im going to mess with it some more tonight and test it on an s/video input

coming back to this i figured it out i tested on another set using svideo because that was the only way i could hook up to that crt it worked fine. so i went back to the sony and tried it with s video and still nothing so i tried it with rgbs and it still looked funny. then i decided to just mess with the options in the laggy menu and when i changed the refresh rate from the 60hz default to 61hz it worked perfectly. .4ms at the top 14.3 at the bottom kinda strange because it worked just fine at 60hz on my other crt but this sony apparently for an exact 320x240 resolution needs 61hz.

i guess my message to anyone else that runs into a crt compatibility issue play with the refresh rate before you spend 3 days trying to figure out why its not working as expected. :oops:

jsvw007

Unread post by jsvw007 »

Link040188 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:11 am
Link040188 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:59 am

coming back to this i figured it out i tested on another set using svideo because that was the only way i could hook up to that crt it worked fine. so i went back to the sony and tried it with s video and still nothing so i tried it with rgbs and it still looked funny. then i decided to just mess with the options in the laggy menu and when i changed the refresh rate from the 60hz default to 61hz it worked perfectly. .4ms at the top 14.3 at the bottom kinda strange because it worked just fine at 60hz on my other crt but this sony apparently for an exact 320x240 resolution needs 61hz.

i guess my message to anyone else that runs into a crt compatibility issue play with the refresh rate before you spend 3 days trying to figure out why its not working as expected. :oops:

Glad you figured it out and thanks for the follow up post. Technically there is no point in lag testing an Sd-CRT though because they all have no lag... unless I'm mistaken 🤷🏻‍♂️ Besides that it is fun to do of course!

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

a CRT has lag it takes a finite time to draw the screen hence it has lag.

jsvw007

Unread post by jsvw007 »

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:31 pm

a CRT has lag it takes a finite time to draw the screen hence it has lag.

Lol, you know what I meant... I hope. At the top left they have far less than 1ms lag and bottom right about 16.6667ms lag (for 60hz)

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Link040188 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:11 am

To be fair, true NTSC is actually 60.606060...Hz, which could have made the difference.

chunky_tesco

Unread post by chunky_tesco »

orange428 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:22 pm

Hi, this is great. Now I can lag test my ipad display...the Time Sleuth did not support that high of a resolution. Thanks for putting this together!

what was the average lag on the ipad screen?

offset

Unread post by offset »

chunky_tesco wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:19 am

Hi, this is great. Now I can lag test my ipad display...the Time Sleuth did not support that high of a resolution. Thanks for putting this together!

My results were posted here, I think there was 1 other person that posted their results in that thread also - viewtopic.php?p=79417#p79417

orange428

Unread post by orange428 »

chunky_tesco wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:19 am

Here's the results for the two ipad screens I have (can't remember the exact models since I bought them years ago, I'd have to take them out of their cases...)

native res 2048x1536, 1:1 mode, overdrive on and set to 70, vsync_adjust=2 in mister.ini
panel 1
top: 3.7
mid: 11.7
bot: 18.3

panel 2
top: 4.4
mid: 10.8
bot: 18.5