MiSTer Won’t Boot Anymore After Using SD Card Slot

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
raleigh

MiSTer Won’t Boot Anymore After Using SD Card Slot

Unread post by raleigh »

Hello. I've had pretty nice times time with my mister lately and today i got N64 core working and played some Mario. The problems started when i removed sd-card for adding more games. First everything was fine except N64 core did not find sync any more (i use crt's mostly). After taking out sd-card several times trying to solve the problem the mister won't boot anymore at all. I've had some sd-card seating issues before, but this time no matter how many times i tried re-inserting the card it didn't help. None of the 3 led's light up on io-board. Only a blue and several green leds on DE-10 board. One time a yellow led light up with the new sd-card neard the slot, but still nothing happened.

I made a new mister sd card with Mr. Fusion, tried with hdmi, removed io-board and ram module. Nothing helps. HDMI sends a signal to lcd, but loses it right after. So, did i mess up my Mister/sd-slot? Very sad about this :cry:

raleigh

Re: MiSTer Won’t Boot Anymore After Using SD Card Slot

Unread post by raleigh »

I found the original 8gb sd-card which was delivered with the de-10 board. de-10 board recognizes that, but i get no picture to lcd monitor even when it has sync.

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

Allright. I wasn't getting picture with og 8gb card because of hdmi>dvi adapter between mister and monitor. Plugged it in to my TV, and i got a picture! So i have messed something up with my main sd card setup bacause it won't boot. I'm copying vital files to pc atm, but if someone has an idea what to try without starting all over i would be very thankful!

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

OK. Got my old 128gb card working after flashing mr.fusion, but not the bigger 512gb card which i have been using. This is very weird, because pc recognizes the card normally but Mister does not. Guess i have to go and buy a new one.

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

This happened to me a few weeks ago after I put unstable mister file in the sd card, same thing about the led colors blinking and no image

Luckily I had a backup previous mister file and after replacing it, I got image and could play again.

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

pbsk8 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:59 pm

This happened to me a few weeks ago after I put unstable mister file in the sd card, same thing about the led colors blinking and no image

Luckily I had a backup previous mister file and after replacing it, I got image and could play again.

I think in my case the problem started when i to replaced latest unstable mister main file with stable. Funnily i did not get it to work anymore after using stable builds. I think in my case the sd card is on it's way out.

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Glad you got it working.

I would suggest only removing the SD card when you upgrade the actual the card to one of a larger capacity.

You can use a SFTP client such as WinSCP to transfer files via network.

The SD socket can wear out or become damaged...

Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

Mister's SD card slot is possible the most brittle implementation in the history of computing.