FreeSync & Amiga Core

mahen

FreeSync & Amiga Core

Unread post by mahen »

Hi everyone !

I do not have a MiSTer anymore ATM but I remember mode switches between interlaced & non interlaced (for ex. in demos) were interrupting the sound & leading to a delay (while the screen was switching mode).

I'm pretty sure it makes no difference, but just in case : as FreeSync / Adaptive Sync was implemented meanwhile, did it improve the situation on the Amiga side regarding this issue ? (interruption when the Amiga switches between (non)interlaced modes ?)

Also, I was wondering if this core was still maintained ?

I have an Amiga 1200 ATM with an Indivision MK3 scandoubler which is configured in a way which doesn't trigger such modes changes.

best regards !

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: FreeSync & Amiga Core

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

The freesync changes don't help at all with resolution or even refresh changes. I've only found it helpful for more compatibility with non-standard refresh rates. (E.G. my LG TV will now show 75hz for the wonderswan core, 70hz for ao486, etc.)

Part of this is kind of on the TVs more than the Mister. For example I've been trying vscale_mode=4 and hv integer scaling, in some cores this allows the scaled horizontal resolution to change at times while the vertical remains constant. On a high-res VGA monitor using vga_scaler the horizontal resolution change was perfectly seamless, while on the LG TV it will blank out.

mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Hi Foxbat,

OK, thanks for your reply ! :)

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Adding 1 frame delay solves this in general if your TV or monitor can’t switch fast enough. (This is the reason that’s the default in AmigaVision)