HDMI Output Not Working

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Krathoon

HDMI Output Not Working

Unread post by Krathoon »

I flashed an SD card with Mr. Fusion and booted it up in the extra MiSTer I built.
It looks like the HDMI out does not work. I get a black screen. I just use a cable connected directly to the monitor. This cable works totally fine with my other MiSTer.

I let it set a while so that it installed the software. I tried setting the video mode and dvi mode in the mister.ini and I still get a black screen.

So, any ideas?

I could try taking off the IO board.

GreyAreaUK

Re: HDMI Output Not Working

Unread post by GreyAreaUK »

If I'm reading this right, you have two MiSTer systems? If so, what happens if you boot the new one using the SD card from the existing (working) one?

Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

I killed a HDMI out on one of my DE-10 Nano, was preparing / building a second and plugging stuff in and out.
As far as I know the DE-10 Nano doesn´t like pluggin in / out cables on the HDMI while the system and / or the TV / Monitor is running.

Krathoon

GreyAreaUK wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:14 am

If I'm reading this right, you have two MiSTer systems? If so, what happens if you boot the new one using the SD card from the existing (working) one?

Yeah. What I can do is make an image of my working SD card and flash it over to the other one.
I suspect something is going on with the Mr. Fusion installer.

GreyAreaUK

Unread post by GreyAreaUK »

Krathoon wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:34 pm

Yeah. What I can do is make an image of my working SD card and flash it over to the other one.

I’d be inclined to just pop it out of the working one, pop it into the Mystery MiSTer, and see what happens. That way you know you’re dealing with a ‘good’ card with no duplication errors.

Unless you’re concerned the good card may get damaged in the Mystery MiSTer, in which case boot the Good MiSTer using the copied card first, just to be sure it copied properly. You probably know all this already… 🙂

Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.
Krathoon

GreyAreaUK wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:26 am
Krathoon wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:34 pm

I’d be inclined to just pop it out of the working one, pop it into the Mystery MiSTer, and see what happens. That way you know you’re dealing with a ‘good’ card with no duplication errors.

Unless you’re concerned the good card may get damaged in the Mystery MiSTer, in which case boot the Good MiSTer using the copied card first, just to be sure it copied properly. You probably know all this already… 🙂

Yeah. I will work with the copied card. I am waiting on generating an image of my good card right now.

I would have had it today, but my computer had to reboot over night due to Windows Update. I have now postponed Windows Update for a month.

Krathoon

Well, the image I made off the working card is too big for the new card.

So, I put the working SD card into the Mister that is not working.

There is still no HDMI output. So, it is a hardware issue.

I will try running it without the IO board. That might be messing it up.

MiSTer Consoles

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

Krathoon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:23 pm

Are you connecting the new MiSTer to the same display that the other MiSTer was connected to? If you’re using a different display the video settings on that old SD card may not be compatible. Also are the LEDs blinking on the IO board when you have the old MiSTer’s card in there? That would at least be a sign that the FPGA can read the card.

Krathoon

MiSTer Consoles wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:31 pm
Krathoon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:23 pm

Are you connecting the new MiSTer to the same display that the other MiSTer was connected to? If you’re using a different display the video settings on that old SD card may not be compatible. Also are the LEDs blinking on the IO board when you have the old MiSTer’s card in there? That would at least be a sign that the FPGA can read the card.

Yes. I am using the same display. The lights were blinking.
I have not tried taking the IO board off and running it without it yet.
That is next.

antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

I have also recently found that the HDMI port on my DE-10 nano is dead. Can't get a picture no matter what. To make sure this isn't a misconfiguration mishap I tried a to a fresh reinstall to a new SD card and I didn't even see the info screen during the Mr Fusion process. And of course still nothing after the fresh install. Also tried my DE-10 nano "raw" without any addons and still nothing.

I bought my DE-10 nano in 2019 and looking at the current prices has almost made me throw up...

I mostly use my MiSTer over analog out to a PVM so it's not a total dealbreaker, but losing the possibility of using any non-15kHz cores is a huge bummer, so I am still debating whether to fork $$$ buy a new DE-10 nano or not.

antibolo

Beeble wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:05 am

I killed a HDMI out on one of my DE-10 Nano, was preparing / building a second and plugging stuff in and out.
As far as I know the DE-10 Nano doesn´t like pluggin in / out cables on the HDMI while the system and / or the TV / Monitor is running.

There should probably be a warning about that in the MiSTer user docs!

I know there are warnings about the USB-OTG port being easy to break. Looks like hotplugging/unplugging the HDMI port is another thing to be careful about...

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

antibolo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:03 pm

I know there are warnings about the USB-OTG port being easy to break. Looks like hotplugging/unplugging the HDMI port is another thing to be careful about...

Its not just a DE10. Its always bad to swap a HDMI cable to any device when its on.

antibolo

FPGA64 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:21 pm
antibolo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:03 pm

Its not just a DE10. Its always bad to swap a HDMI cable to any device when its on.

Good to know. I genuinely thought that hotplugging HDMI was just as safe as USB!

Krathoon

Surely, the HDMI port is not that touchy. I have plugged in the HDMI port on my working Mister numerous times while the monitor was running.

I still have not tried removing the IO board yet. I will do that when I get back.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Krathoon wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:39 pm

Surely, the HDMI port is not that touchy. I have plugged in the HDMI port on my working Mister numerous times while the monitor was running.

I still have not tried removing the IO board yet. I will do that when I get back.

99 times it will be fine then on the 100th .....

Its always best not to swap a cable that can carry voltage while the device is plugged in

antibolo

FPGA64 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:30 pm

99 times it will be fine then on the 100th .....

Its always best not to swap a cable that can carry voltage while the device is plugged in

Always? No offense but this is a weird thing to say after USB has been mainstream for almost 30 years now?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

We are not talking about USB we are talking about HDMI

antibolo

FPGA64 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:18 am

We are not talking about USB we are talking about HDMI

Yes that's my point, I don't understand why you suddenly started saying "a cable that can carry voltage" in the general sense.

rcade

Unread post by rcade »

You shouldn't! On the DE10 Nano there is no buffering or protection to HDMI port.