ScummVM Shaders?

IanDav

ScummVM Shaders?

Unread post by IanDav »

Hello all.

As the topic suggests, I am wondering if there is any way to access shaders on the MiSTer version of ScummVM? I'm new to this core as I've only just installed it, so not sure if I'm missing something obvious, but I don't see any options for scanlines or anything.

Also, I'm noticing that any scrolling seems like it's not v-synced. I first spotted this on the opening scene of BS2, where the camera pans right as he's in the burning room. It scrolls quite badly with tearing evident. Again, any fix for this?

Thanks in advance.

Hackshed_Carl

Re: ScummVM Shaders?

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

As far as I'm aware, shaders etc aren't available for ScummVM as it isn't actually a core but is launched directly on the ARM core as software.

On top of that, I think it was done more as a passion project and as such isn't officially supported.
Saying that, "officially supported" doesn't really apply to this as it's an open source project so you're free to do whatever you wish.

I spent quite a bit of time using ScummVM on MiSTer myself and really enjoyed it.

If the scanlines etc are a deal breaker for you, another option would be to either try setting up ScummVM in the AO486 core or play one of the versions that was ported to Amiga etc.

....oh, and welcome to the community :)

IanDav

Unread post by IanDav »

Thanks for your reply, and for the welcome!

It's not a deal breaker as such for me, but I do much prefer to able to try and fake the CRT look if possible. I did suspect that any reply would confirm what I was already thinking may be the case, in that the options would be more limited with it not being a core in the same way as all of the others.

I was intrigued to try some of the older PC point and click games, as I missed out on a lot of them back in the day. I absolutely adored the first Monkey Island on the Amiga, and played through the first Broken Sword on the PlayStation and loved that too (although the frequent loading was a real PiTA), so am eager to see if any of the ones I missed out on have any magic for me.

The AO486 is a good idea, but I read a little while back that the core is quite slow and difficult to set up. I'll certainly have a closer look at that anyway.

Cheers =}

Antoine.WG

Unread post by Antoine.WG »

IanDav wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:59 pm

Thanks for your reply, and for the welcome!

It's not a deal breaker as such for me, but I do much prefer to able to try and fake the CRT look if possible. I did suspect that any reply would confirm what I was already thinking may be the case, in that the options would be more limited with it not being a core in the same way as all of the others.

I was intrigued to try some of the older PC point and click games, as I missed out on a lot of them back in the day. I absolutely adored the first Monkey Island on the Amiga, and played through the first Broken Sword on the PlayStation and loved that too (although the frequent loading was a real PiTA), so am eager to see if any of the ones I missed out on have any magic for me.

The AO486 is a good idea, but I read a little while back that the core is quite slow and difficult to set up. I'll certainly have a closer look at that anyway.

Cheers =}

It isn't difficult to set up, but then again I've spent 20+ years in IT and first installed Windows 95 on a bare-metal 486. The ao486 core should be enough to handle most games supported by ScummVM until the mid-90's. I haven't dabbled much with ScummVM on MiSTer but I do use it a ton on my Windows desktop and it's absolutely wonderful. ScummVM might not have as many filters as MiSTer cores but there are several scanline options available, although VGA PC games were mostly progressive scan, except for the earlier FMV games, and even those had an option for non-interlaced video on faster systems. Personally, I like the HQx filters.

IanDav

Unread post by IanDav »

Yeah, an odd thing for me to say really, as I have plenty of experience myself from back at about the same time as you stated, so it's not a problem. It's just something I recall reading a couple of years back.

I'll certainly give it a look this weekend hopefully.