Controller Connection Query

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
pixlrik

Controller Connection Query

Unread post by pixlrik »

Hi, I'm considering buying a Mister to replace a Super NT and SD2SNES that I currently use. I just wanted to check about how to connect OG controllers to the Mister. I currently use a USB powered input reader that connects to my PC and Super NT to enable my OG controllers to be used and inputs read through RetroSpy. With the Mister, will I be able to continue using this by simply plugging in the USB to the Mister and my SNES controller is then able to be picked up in game and also control the Mister menu? If this isn't possible, what are my options for connections so that I can use OG NES/SNES controllers and have a working input reader? Thanks.

AngelicLiver

Re: Controller Connection Query

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

If you use SNAC the RetroSpy will work just fine, however you will not be able to use the MiSTer's OSD with your controller. You could just use a keyboard or something like Wizzo's amazing Remote script to do what you need from a PC or smartphone. If you are already recording or streaming that is probably more convenient anyway...

pixlrik

Unread post by pixlrik »

Hi, thanks for your reply. So, when you say "use SNAC" do you mean just buy the controller adapters from here? - https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... -adapters/

Won't they stick out from the mister and look a bit unsightly? If I bought one of those, say with the SNES end on it, can it only be used for the SNES core or can I program the MiSTer to also use that for say the NES core as well?

Sorry for the silly sounding questions, I'm new to this and want to make sure I get everything I need and also that it works the way I want it to.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Snac is really just for obscure controllers and lightguns.

A Daemonbite will be sub 1 m/s lag and is usable in the main Menu

Homemade https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite ... ollers-USB

Only European Seller I know

https://ultimatemister.com/product-cate ... -adapters/

Snac is limited to the core its connected to. So SNES will, only work with SNES controllers/ or NES with an Adaptor. It wouldnt work at all with the NES core

pixlrik

Unread post by pixlrik »

Ah OK, thanks for that. Really helpful.

PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

aww very cool to see some of the Kaizo community here.

yes, as others have said, SNAC is used strictly for the core and controller type that youre using (SNES for SNES core, NES for NES core, etc). the will give you a 1:1 input timing of the original controller with the correct polling behavior of the system youre playing and zero input lag. the only caveat is that you cant access the MiSTer main menu to pull up game selection and other options with a SNAC controller. you would have to connect a keyboard or other USB device to access and navigate the menu.

i play with a homemade daemonbite adapter for a SNES controller, which basically turns an OG SNES controller into a universal USB controller with super low latency (0.9ms average). this will give you the most flexibility with a controller while still being able to pull up the MiSTer menu. i have both a SNAC setup and a daemonbite, and still prefer to use the daemonbite.

i use one of those and play all the intermediate stuff on SMWcentral. i can grind out expert stuff, but enjoy intermediate stuff more.

pixlrik

Unread post by pixlrik »

Yes, Twitch/kaizo player here. I'm trying to transition from Super NT/FX Pak to MiSTer and not fully clued in to how it all works! All I know is it will be great when it all gets set up as I'll be able to play so much more than just SNES games. I'm still trying to make sure I have all the required pieces in place to have it working the way I want it!