Direct video HDMI to SCART cable

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Bren McGuire

Direct video HDMI to SCART cable

Unread post by Bren McGuire »

Has anybody tried the MiSTer "HDMI to SCART" cable sold here? https://ultimatemister.com/product/mist ... ect-video/

I have a Digital I/O board and I was thinking it'd be less of a hassle to buy one of these instead of trying my luck in finding the right compatible HDMI/VGA adapter. Is the cable OK?

I intend to use it with consumer (European) CRTs in RGB mode. I also have some CRT PC monitors but I'm not sure about what kind of adapter I'd need to connect the MiSTer to one of those.

akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Direct video HDMI to SCART cable

Unread post by akeley »

I've tested Ricardo's previous cable, the one without lightgun, and it was fine.

Far as I know, they are based on the AG6200 chip, which, if you read this thread is suppsed to be "some of the worst out there". What that means in practice is that the displayed image might be somewhat darker, which, as you can see me arguing there is not actually as terrible as OP paints it to be.

That said, it's probably worth a look at the list he made first and try to source one of the cheap-but-good adapters first. If you want to connect the VGA monitor you will need it anyway, since the SCART won't do.

Bren McGuire

Unread post by Bren McGuire »

akeley wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:19 pm

That said, it's probably worth a look at the list he made first and try to source one of the cheap-but-good adapters first. If you want to connect the VGA monitor you will need it anyway, since the SCART won't do.

Thanks, luckily there was an aliexpress link, since the other ones were US based. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001187113560.html

I plan to use the optical audio out, so I take I can choose the simple version of the adapter and disregard the one with power and audio, right?

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Bren McGuire wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:27 pm

I plan to use the optical audio out, so I take I can choose the simple version of the adapter and disregard the one with power and audio, right?

Most likely yes, but it's been a long time since I've used this solution and I don't remember the details. Maybe somebody else can chime in.