Snac DB9 compatibility for Amiga and 8 bit cores (FR)

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
lroby74

Snac DB9 compatibility for Amiga and 8 bit cores (FR)

Unread post by lroby74 »

Hello everybody,
i've bought a Snac Db9 adapter for using on Mister cores original joysticks and paddles but while it's perfect on Atari 7800/2600 or SMS/MD core, it's not usable on Amiga (Minimig) or many 8 bit cores (C= ones, Spectrum, MSX, Amstrad at least).
So i am kindly requesting if someone can add support to it on these cores.
Honestly i've tried do it myself but it's very too hard for me (i don't have programmer skills and i am not an engineer), simply trying to copy and paste SNAC / USER_IO rows from .SV file of Atari 7800 or MD cores to C64, Vic 20 cores but compiling is always faulty and incomplete.
Yes, i know (and own) about using USB to DB9 adapter but it's not same thing for me (no paddle and not autofire support on joystick)

Thank you very much
Roberto

rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Snac DB9 compatibility for Amiga and 8 bit cores (FR)

Unread post by rhester72 »

You aren't going to get a paddle from SNAC anyway, as the analog portion was long abandoned due to significant issues. Ironically, the only hope of true paddle support is adapting the USB version from the Atari 7800 core.

Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

lroby74 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:37 pm

(no paddle and not autofire support on joystick)

Joystick auto fire works fine for me using a USB DB9 Daemonbite adaptor and MiSTer also has a built in autofire system

SNAC8 ENCC and LLapi has DB9 support in computer cores i believe

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Armakuni wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:34 pm

Joystick auto fire works fine for me using a USB DB9 Daemonbite adaptor and MiSTer also has a built in autofire system

That's interesting - most autofire joysticks require +5V on pin 7, which I didn't know Daemonbite provides.

Would you mind indicating exactly which adapter you bought and from where (by URL if possible)?

Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

rhester72 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:11 pm
Armakuni wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:34 pm

That's interesting - most autofire joysticks require +5V on pin 7, which I didn't know Daemonbite provides.

Would you mind indicating exactly which adapter you bought and from where (by URL if possible)?

Use the Sega Six button Daemonbite this provides the +5v for autofire. There is no real need to use the atari/commodore as the pinouts are the same anyway and you get the support for extra buttons where supported like C64 and Amiga

I built my own rather than buying them and tested with various original joysticks like Zipstik and autofire works fine. I have been using one for years now. There is nothing to damage in original joysticks by +5v as they were just a collection of switches and the auto fire was just a simple circuit.

You will also find in some original sticks that didnt have auto fire they removed the +5v pin from the cable a lot of times too