SNAC not registering input

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
DiacloneFX

SNAC not registering input

Unread post by DiacloneFX »

Hi.
SNAC doesn't seem to work on my system.
I have the version with the level shifter and the adapters for Snes, Mega Drive and PC Engine. None of them work.
I bought them in 2021 and they used to work, but I haven't used them ever since. I cannot remember if I tested them with my older analog IO board or with my current one, which is 6.1. But I believe there is nothing wrong with the adapters themseleves.
I recently bought a new SNAC adapter for PS1, which has 2 ports and the video output for the light guns.
This doesn't work either, and that's how I found out that SNAC is not woking on my MiSTer. I have no reason to believe that the PS1 SNAC adapter is broken either.
They all provide power to the controllers, as I can see the 8bitdo Snes receiver turn on and connect to the controller, and the light of the Dual Shock turns on when I press the "Analog" button. But I cannot get any input from them, using different original controllers. Of course I enabled SNAC in the cores settings. I tried to set the jumper next to the IO port to both IO and 3.3v, but it made no difference.
I made my tests on a fresh install of the OS after running the first update.
I bought all my MiSTer components, including the SNAC adapters, from reputable sellers.

So, before I bite the bullet and order a new analog IO board, is there anything else I can try?

Lloyd2084

Re: SNAC not registering input

Unread post by Lloyd2084 »

I had the same on my Mistercade, just couldn’t get SNAC to register inputs. The PSX adapter had the same symptoms you describe.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Make sure the "USB 3.0" port contacts are good by doing a continuity test of each port pin to the corresponding GPIO connection pin (found on the schematic). The jumper should definitely be in the IO position. I strongly suspect there's a cold solder joint on the board itself.

DiacloneFX

Unread post by DiacloneFX »

Thank you for the replies!

Fortunately, I managed to find the issue and the obvious solution.

I followed rhester72's advice and I spent more than a hour doing the continuity test of all the pins, and I even checked that the resistors returned the expected values.
Tracking the pins and looking at the schematics I noticed that all the user port IO signals are connected to the De10 Nano through the P7 connector, the one with 10 pins on a single line which is on the opposite side of the main one, P1.
Well, I realised that I had probably forgotten to insert that connector in its socket and, as the RAM board covers it, I didn't notice. So basically I've used my MiSTer like that for more than 2 years and, as I haven't used SNAC or SOG for all this time, I have't seen any issue.

Properly connecting the analog IO board to the De10 Nano fixed my issue, and now I can finally enjoy Time Crisis on the PS1 with my beloved G-Con 1.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

@DiacloneFX Good sleuthing - glad you solved it!