SNAC adapter with USB on both sides?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
nymous

SNAC adapter with USB on both sides?

Unread post by nymous »

Hi. I've tried to google that question, but didn't find any answer. Can someone explain what's this adapater for? I saw it in several shops and on Aliexpress of course. What does it do? It has USB3 on both sides. Is it a kind of debug board? A level converter? Why is there a jumper and a connector on it?

Attachments
Sb9c3fb995f894b6dbf30a84031d9a7d7u.jpg_640x640.png
Sb9c3fb995f894b6dbf30a84031d9a7d7u.jpg_640x640.png (181.81 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
AngelicLiver

Re: SNAC adapter with USB on both sides?

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

It is a level shifter. It is used to convert 3.3v logic to 5v peripherals. There's a good explanation here. As with anything on the user port; it may have a USB connector but it is not carrying USB signals. Do not try to connect USB devices to the user port.

nymous

Unread post by nymous »

No-no, I understand it's not an USB. Just wondering why do I need it with MiSTer. So it is a level shifter for 5V devices. Is there any list of which devices I should use with it?

nymous

Unread post by nymous »

Still, what the jumper do?

C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

nymous wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:49 pm

Still, what the jumper do?

I’ve tried asking that before. Apparently it’s a secret.

But the board itself is the standard snac board. Without it you’ll get no snac functionality.

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

The jumper enables/disables the IO6 line.

nymous

Unread post by nymous »

C-R-T wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:57 pm

But the board itself is the standard snac board. Without it you’ll get no snac functionality.

The problem is, all my controllers work without it just fine, this is why i'm asking. I've tried NES, NES Zapper, SNES, Genesis and PC Engine. Though I've heard that some users have problems with NES controllers without it.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

nymous wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:19 am
C-R-T wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:57 pm

The problem is, all my controllers work without it just fine, this is why i'm asking. I've tried NES, NES Zapper, SNES, Genesis and PC Engine. Though I've heard that some users have problems with NES controllers without it.

Why they may appear to work you are risking damage to the DE10 or the Controller. The level shifters take the voltage being supplied or coming in and adjust it to the logic level of the device. Without them you could be ewither undervolting the controller or overvolting the DE10.

This explains the Jumper

https://misterfpga.co.uk/sega-genesis-c ... nac-setup/

nymous

Unread post by nymous »

FPGA64 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:14 am

Why they may appear to work you are risking damage to the DE10 or the Controller. The level shifters take the voltage being supplied or coming in and adjust it to the logic level of the device. Without them you could be ewither undervolting the controller or overvolting the DE10.

Yeah, I understand that. Unfortunately it's not very articulated anywhere, most (aliexpress) shops even skip the explanation totally.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

nymous wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:36 pm
FPGA64 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:14 am

Yeah, I understand that. Unfortunately it's not very articulated anywhere, most (aliexpress) shops even skip the explanation totally.

I wouldnt touch an Ali Express store, other than Retrocastle, in any way.

jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

RetroCastle does sell SNAC adapters, but I don't see the level shifter.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803697539804.html

I assume their PS1 SNAC would be safe to use without it though, since PS1 controllers use 3.3v.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

jd213 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:47 pm

RetroCastle does sell SNAC adapters, but I don't see the level shifter.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803697539804.html

I assume their PS1 SNAC would be safe to use without it though, since PS1 controllers use 3.3v.

His adaptor has them built into the board

jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

Ah OK, that makes sense considering they're a bit more expensive than other SNAC adapters on Aliexpress.

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

Just as info: All SNAC adapters from UltimateMister don't need this.

antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

Is it safe to chain two level shifters?

I ask because the Multisystem user port claims to have a built-in level shifter according to its manual, and I ordered a SNAC adapter from UltimateMister which apparently also has one. I haven't received it yet, but I'm still confused on how all that will interact.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

antibolo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:28 pm

I ask because the Multisystem user port claims to have a built-in level shifter according to its manual, and I ordered a SNAC adapter from UltimateMister which apparently also has one. I haven't received it yet, but I'm still confused on how all that will interact.

You can disable the onboard level shifters. Thats how the MMS can use either User3.3v and Snac5v. Details are in the manual

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

you can disable it with the pin and switch on it AND most important you don't need to use it in the first place since it has one built in. just plug the SNAC controller adapters directly to your MMS.

antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

Missus wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:47 pm

You can disable the onboard level shifters. Thats how the MMS can use either User3.3v and Snac5v. Details are in the manual

The manual is not clear on what you're supposed to do when the SNAC device has a built-in level shifter.

From what I can gather, I should set SW7 (the front switch) to the IO6 position (as mentioned in the UltimateMister product page), and set the jumper J17 to the 3.3v position (presumably to disable the onboard level shifter), is that correct?