Bluetooth Controller Interference?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Chroma

Bluetooth Controller Interference?

Unread post by Chroma »

Hey all,

First off, LOVE the MiSTer, best gaming purchase I had in a long time alongside the Steam Deck. I've been pairing it with an 8BitDo Pro 2 controller and it's been mostly bliss for over a year.

However, after a recent update_all script run, over the last month or so, my MiSTer has been dropping connection to my controller like it never has. Controller itself will stay connected, sometimes it'll just not respond to any inputs, other times it'll start really lagging and reading inputs a good 2-5 seconds after press. Never had an issue with it before.

As an aside, my MiSTer since the update also has been dropping fuses like flies. I have an I/O attachment that is powered by a small fuse on the board itself. My first fuse lasted completely the entire year+ with no problems. Since then, I've had 3 of them just stop working and require a new fuse to be put in. I know that's the problem because the MiSTer doesn't light up the additional LEDs when booting. Replacing the fuse makes it work again, but it's not exactly easy to acquire a stockpile.

Either way, I'm sure it's likely not the fault of update_all or anything, just convenient timing for all of it to start going weird. The controller issues are my number 1 issue. Didn't move the MiSTer at all, controller and setup is the same, but just suddenly either loses all connection or drops lots of inputs after a bit. Turning the controller off and back on makes it work for a little bit again, but not that long.

PistolsAtDawn

Re: Bluetooth Controller Interference?

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

See if the controller has an available firmware update. That's solved issues like this for me in the past, but this is just a first step. Something in my gut says it won't be that easy.

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Which power supply are you using? If you are experiencing this problem and have the PSU that came with the DE10-Nano, replace it. They really don't have the oomph to drive USB peripherals along with the DE10-Nano and this can cause this behaviour.

Otherwise I would try:

1. Ensuring your controller is in x-input mode.

2. Remapping the controller from the MiSTer main menu.

3. Updating the firmware for your 8bitdo controller.

4. Moving your system.

edr

Unread post by edr »

Chroma wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:27 pm

...my MiSTer since the update also has been dropping fuses like flies. I have an I/O attachment that is powered by a small fuse on the board itself. My first fuse lasted completely the entire year+ with no problems. Since then, I've had 3 of them just stop working and require a new fuse to be put in...

It would be weird if the update was doing this, it could be a hardware problem that just cropped up. As the prev poster suggested you could try a different power supply, in case yours has gone bad or is not providing enough power (fuses don't usually blow from too little power afaik but I'm no expert). You could get for ex. 5V 30 watt adapters which give plenty of headroom, by good brands like Mean Well, GlobTek etc. from good suppliers like Mouser or DigiKey. 5V 20 watt should be fine as well.

Chroma

Unread post by Chroma »

There's a LOT of good things to look into here, thanks everyone!

Suggestion 1: The Pro 2 controller had been working so flawlessly until now that I honestly stopped thinking about controller firmware. I used 8BitDo's official update tool, and found the controller was like 4 or 5 versions behind current, so I updated it.

Suggestion 2: Again, my Pro 2 controller's A-Input (Android) setting just always worked from the get-go with no issues for me that I never bothered changing it. It was also the convenience factor that I was already using the X-Input for quick pairing to my Steam Deck. However, I do know the mass improvement between the outdated D-Input and the much better X-Input. I've switched it over to X-Input for the MiSTer, this is my favourite system out of anything I use the controller for, it deserves the quick pairing regardless.

Regarding the fuses, it sounds like the power adapter is the one to possibly look at. I actually purchased a premade set from a seller online, who provided their own power adapter (not sure of its output, but estimating from brick size, I'd guess around 15-20 watts). Honestly, after the first occurrence of the fuse blowing, I wondered about the power supply and switched to an old official Apple USB 10w adapter with a USB-C to USB-A cable. If low output is a concern, I think I also have a larger wattage adapter I could try.

Anyways, so far on the controller front, it absolutely did pair a heck of a lot quicker than it's recently been taking pre-update and when I was using the A-Input (I honestly don't know how Android input protocol compares). If anything changes there, I'll definitely report back, maybe it'll help others who come across it.

I think I'll need to get some more confirmation on the fuses part. My original MiSTer seller is very nice and sent over a pile of fuses to help troubleshoot the first time, and that's how I found out the fix. However, he lives overseas, so it takes a while and it'll eventually start costing pockets of money to buy these fuses if it just keeps happening. Hoping to nip the problem in the bud before that even has to be considered. I think I'll start by trying a slightly larger wattage power adapter from a reliable company, but if anyone does have any other input/experience on this, I'd love the notice!

Thanks again everyone! Super helpful stuff.

[Addendum] After pairing the controller using X-Input and with the firmware updated, it's still exhibiting issues. I'm finding the controller still doesn't respond for several seconds on some occasions, and even sometimes, I press something like D-Pad Down one single time, and a second or two later, the UI moves down like 10-15 times in rapid succession. This seems to happen much less in game, but it does happen on the OSD more. This is all still really weird to me overall, I used the MiSTer and this exact controller for well over a year in this same configuration with no issues. It's just now that it's being really finicky.

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

I suspect it's probably the power supply too. The Meanwell models are generally the way to go and are widely available in all regions.

Make sure you also remap the controller on the MiSTer main menu AND the core you are using. I often see people have these problems and they lose hair trying everything only for this to be the fix. Stick with x-input too , it is generally more compatible.

Chroma

Unread post by Chroma »

I did swap out the power supply on the fuse front, will just have to ride it out for a while to see if it helps there.

Regarding the controller, I have it on X-Input and remapped the controller on the base MiSTer main menu (to navigate the OSD in general) and per core (for the games). The issue hasn't been the controller not responding at all to unmapped inputs, it's that it gives out randomly and just starts introducing massive lag spikes where it won't navigate smooth. I'll press down once, and maybe like 3 seconds later, it'll scroll down the OSD like 5 or 6 times. It's almost like it's overcompensating for a lost input and just scrolling like I'm holding the button down, but it's just a singular press. It's intermittent too, so I'm not sure what it could be. As mentioned, my setup is exactly the same and my controller is the same too as when it worked perfectly for over a year, and the controller works with no issues on my other systems.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Other thing is to use a pigtail to distancxe the bluetooth receiver from the Mister.

I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08SC9M9K3 and have no issues

Chroma

Unread post by Chroma »

Interesting, how would one of these work? Do you plug it into the MiSTer to essentially give it an antenna receiver for better connection?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Chroma wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:26 pm

Interesting, how would one of these work? Do you plug it into the MiSTer to essentially give it an antenna receiver for better connection?

Yes it plugs into the USB port and is a standalone BT with an antenna. You could aslo try a short usb cable to move your existing BT adaptor away from the mister

Chroma

Unread post by Chroma »

I'll give it a try, thanks! Admittedly, the Bluetooth receiver I use right now is just a standard nub receiver with no antennae. By plugging it into the back of the MiSTer where the USB ports are, maybe it's getting interference from another one of my devices nearby.

I ordered a similar pigtail and it'll arrive in a day, I'll test it out and report back. Cheers!

PistolsAtDawn

Does the controller have slow responses when plugged in via USB? Might be worth a quick check to rule out a hardware issue with the controller.

GOGUK

Unread post by GOGUK »

I use a BT/Wifi combo dongle plugged into the internal USB port of my Ironclad ITX which is then inside a metal slim ITX case both wifi and BT work fine

Chroma

Unread post by Chroma »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:27 pm

Does the controller have slow responses when plugged in via USB? Might be worth a quick check to rule out a hardware issue with the controller.

USB is no problem, plus this is my favourite controller, so I kinda use it everywhere I can on the regular. Works totally fine through USB.

I'll do a short temporary update saying initial impressions of the pigtail bluetooth receiver are positive. I was streaming Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for a couple days, and the game would just start going super wonky on the inputs within the first 5 minutes. I think I test played today for about 15 minutes and it was solid, but I didn't have time to test longer. Hopefully this is the correct fix, it was a tad bit wonky reaching my Steam Deck when it's docked to the TV too, so maybe the 8BitDo Pro 2's bluetooth signal just isn't that strong. I do know it runs on the Bluetooth 4.0 protocol, which isn't necessarily the shining beacon of connectivity. My Steam Deck OLED has Bluetooth 5.3, but the fact that it still stutters once the distance to the TV is introduced during docking, I think it tells me the controller and its lower end Bluetooth spec is the bottleneck. Just does not seem to reach tiny nub or internal Bluetooth receivers well over a longer distance, only directly next to it.

If the pigtail continues to be really good, I'll grab a second one to plug into my Steam Deck dock. Giving it an actual antennae may be the correct solution long term.

PistolsAtDawn

Chroma wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:58 pm
PistolsAtDawn wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:27 pm

USB is no problem, plus this is my favourite controller, so I kinda use it everywhere I can on the regular. Works totally fine through USB.

I'll do a short temporary update saying initial impressions of the pigtail bluetooth receiver are positive. I was streaming Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for a couple days, and the game would just start going super wonky on the inputs within the first 5 minutes. I think I test played today for about 15 minutes and it was solid, but I didn't have time to test longer. Hopefully this is the correct fix, it was a tad bit wonky reaching my Steam Deck when it's docked to the TV too, so maybe the 8BitDo Pro 2's bluetooth signal just isn't that strong. I do know it runs on the Bluetooth 4.0 protocol, which isn't necessarily the shining beacon of connectivity. My Steam Deck OLED has Bluetooth 5.3, but the fact that it still stutters once the distance to the TV is introduced during docking, I think it tells me the controller and its lower end Bluetooth spec is the bottleneck. Just does not seem to reach tiny nub or internal Bluetooth receivers well over a longer distance, only directly next to it.

If the pigtail continues to be really good, I'll grab a second one to plug into my Steam Deck dock. Giving it an actual antennae may be the correct solution long term.

I have an OLED Steam Deck too (had a LCD model that I sold for the upgrade), and I use a 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ over Bluetooth all the time with both the MiSTer and the Deck, and I never really have any problems with it so long as neither are buried behind other electronics. It's funny how such similar products can have vastly different performance. You would think the Pro 2 would have better connectivity.