Question about multiple displays with multiple ini files.

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Dr Johnny Bananas

Question about multiple displays with multiple ini files.

Unread post by Dr Johnny Bananas »

Hello all. I have a MiSTer with an analog IO board. I mostly use it with my 4k tv, but occasionally I'd like to connect it to my 27 inch sony trinitron. I'd use a different ini file for each, but with the tv I use filters and shadow masks. What happens to them when I connect to the crt? Would I have to manually disable and re-enable the filters each time?

Thank you.

mapf

Re: Question about multiple displays with multiple ini files.

Unread post by mapf »

Analog and hdmi outputs can be driven independently (default setup on MiSTer is unfiltered analog output) - you can keep your setup for the 4k TV unchanged. All you need to check is the sync setup for the analog output (you need composite sync).

Only a few cores create analog output that might not be shown properly on the Sony (486 PC, some other computer cores, some arcade boards). Those can be made working using the vga_scaler, but then you would need multiple ini files for 4k hdmi and sony analog.

Dr Johnny Bananas

mapf wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:50 pm

Analog and hdmi outputs can be driven independently (default setup on MiSTer is unfiltered analog output) - you can keep your setup for the 4k TV unchanged. All you need to check is the sync setup for the analog output (you need composite sync).

Only a few cores create analog output that might not be shown properly on the Sony (486 PC, some other computer cores, some arcade boards). Those can be made working using the vga_scaler, but then you would need multiple ini files for 4k hdmi and sony analog.

thank you. so do the cores output differently depending on if it's going out via analog or via HDMI? If I usually play, for instance, PC Engine on the HSMI 4k TV with shadow masks, when I switch to analog out, will the shadow masks just turn off?

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Filters/masks are not applied to the analog signal. You can output HDMI and analog simultaneously, this can be useful for capturing from HDMI or comparing the output to your CRT/PVM/BVM.

Dr Johnny Bananas

thank you very much.