Konami & N64 beta cores suddenly not working...

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
isfet

Konami & N64 beta cores suddenly not working...

Unread post by isfet »

Hi everyone, I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this and if not, my apologies.

I've been using the Mister for about a year now and am somewhat used to things kind of randomly working or not working, but this one has me really stumped:

A few weeks ago I added the N64 core to my Mister and it seemed to be working fine. I went away for a few days and when I got back this week, I ran the update_all script to see if I'd missed anything. There didn't seem to be anything, so I went to launch an N64 game and suddenly...nothing; just a blank screen. Games that had previously been working only a few days prior were no longer running.

To make matters worse, it seems like the Konami beta cores (Aliens, TMNT, etc.) are also no longer working - when I launch the games, the core starts out in what seems like a paused mode. The core's credits are overlayed on the screen, and the game is completely unresponsive to any button inputs. I'm a bit stumped as to how or why this is happening, and Googling and searching Twitter has not proved fruitful. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or has a clue as to what's happening, or if this is just one of those things that might occur when using beta cores.

Thanks!

Lloyd2084

Re: Konami & N64 beta cores suddenly not working...

Unread post by Lloyd2084 »

N64 recent version seems to need unstable MiSTer.

What you are describing are Jotego’s cores in beta.

You need his Patreon key in your games folder to unlock them. Maybe you had a previous key and need to update?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Update_all and the N64 core is a double edged sword. The new N64 cores sometimes require an unstable Mister Main. This is not covered by adding the line to the downloader.ini. If you ever get black screen first thing to cehck is if the core now needs an unstable Mister Main

isfet

Unread post by isfet »

Thank you for the replies!

Lloyd2084 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:34 am

You need his Patreon key in your games folder to unlock them. Maybe you had a previous key and need to update?

Good point! I should check his Patreon for an update, I suppose. I thought after putting in the necessary key, update_all would just grab everything in the future.

If you ever get black screen first thing to cehck is if the core now needs an unstable Mister Main

So, "unstable mister main" is actually not a term i'm familiar with. Google is returning this for me. Would there be any drawbacks to using this? Is this file replacing another?

Thanks again!

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

it just means its not made it to full release. You download the unstable Mister Main rename it and upload it to the mister

offset

Unread post by offset »

isfet wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:55 pm

Good point! I should check his Patreon for an update, I suppose. I thought after putting in the necessary key, update_all would just grab everything in the future.

If you ever get black screen first thing to cehck is if the core now needs an unstable Mister Main

So, "unstable mister main" is actually not a term i'm familiar with. Google is returning this for me. Would there be any drawbacks to using this? Is this file replacing another?

Thanks again!

If you want to use an unstable mister binary, grab latest from here - https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... r/releases

replace your existing /media/fat/MiSTer file with the renamed unstable binary from above.

If you want to go back to a stable mister version, can grab latest from here - https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... r/releases

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

isfet wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:55 pm

A new jtbeta.zip is attached to his Patreon posts roughly once a month.