8bitdo M30 Xbox edition - wired Saturn-style USB controller with extra shoulder buttons

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
colonel panic

8bitdo M30 Xbox edition - wired Saturn-style USB controller with extra shoulder buttons

Unread post by colonel panic »

https://www.8bitdo.com/m30-wired-controller-xbox/

Anyone try one of these things out with MiSTer yet? The original M30 is a modern classic IMHO, so I'm curious to hear how this new one stacks up. Both in terms of latency and stuff of course, but also in terms of ergonomics with those new shoulder buttons they added in. Seems like they released this one without much marketing hype, so I haven't seen many people talking about it yet

DiamondDave

Re: 8bitdo M30 Xbox edition - wired Saturn-style USB controller with extra shoulder buttons

Unread post by DiamondDave »

Aren't these 8bitdo Xbox specific controllers locked to only working with Microsoft devices?

SwedishGojira

Re: 8bitdo M30 Xbox edition - wired Saturn-style USB controller with extra shoulder buttons

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

Also you technically do not have more buttons than the regular M30 in total as two of the front buttons are duplicates of shoulder buttons.

Edit: My bad. It actually has two more buttons than the regular M30 as the left shoulder button and trigger is mapped to the L3 and R3 (the clicky sticks).

colonel panic

Unread post by colonel panic »

DiamondDave wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:47 am

Aren't these 8bitdo Xbox specific controllers locked to only working with Microsoft devices?

I thought Xbox controllers were a pretty popular option for MiSTer. I don't think this uses a different protocol or anything, so I assume it would have the same compatibility?

SwedishGojira wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:20 pm

Also you technically do not have more buttons than the regular M30 in total as two of the front buttons are duplicates of shoulder buttons.

I'm not a regular Xbox user, so pardon my ignorance, but aren't these buttons all mapped to different things in this photo? It also looks like there are switches on the back for different mapping options