Launch a Game Quickly/Easily?

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
misterrocks

Launch a Game Quickly/Easily?

Unread post by misterrocks »

Is there a better way to launch a game than to plug in a keyboard and use it to navigate to the game you want?

What is the best way to get predictable behavior from various controllers for navigating the menu instead of using a keyboard?

I'm surprised MiSTer doesn't have any Favorites functionality.

I've seen the NFC solution online and that will be good once it's ready to go.

AngelicLiver

Re: Launch a Game Quickly/Easily?

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Wizzo has released a number of MiSTer extensions, all available via update_all. Including favourites and the NFC solution, you can use it right now...

There's also MiSTer Remote, you can select cores, start games directly and even search your ROMs/Images within the app/web app.

[Edit] Sorry if I misinterpreted part of your questions but yes; you should be setting up your controller in the Main OSD.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

misterrocks wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:24 pm

What is the best way to get predictable behavior from various controllers for navigating the menu instead of using a keyboard?

I'm surprised MiSTer doesn't have any Favorites functionality.

To answer your actual questions 😉

As long as you map your controller(s) in the main OSD menu, they will work reliably.

If you use update_all, you should be able to opt into the scripts that give you Favorites functionality.

misterrocks

I finally set up Favorites and it's great.

Is there a way to launch console games directly instead of first launching the core and then bringing the menu back up to select and launch a ROM?

Where do the core dates come from? Any console cores I add to Favorites appear alongside --,--,-- like they are missing a date. Can I prevent the date field from appearing at all? Gameboy Color appears without a date field which looks nice.

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

The menu items with dates (core release date) link directly to the cores, those without (including favourites, this is how that works) use MGL files. So taking GameBoy Color as an example; it is using the GameBoy core but the MGL for GameBoy Color is dropping you into the core pre-configured to use the GBC ROM directory. GameGear/Master System is another example or MegaAGS for Amiga.

The documentation explains it in detail.

If you want to hide core release dates add this to your MiSTer.ini file:

Code: Select all

rbf_hide_datecode=1
misterrocks

Working great!