Nyko Super Cobra

Magnitudeten

Nyko Super Cobra

Unread post by Magnitudeten »

I am using a ps1 snac adaptor (retrocastle) on a crt with a nyko super cobra gun plugged into the controller port 1 and the video input. Ps1 input settings are set to snac controllers for 1 and 2

The gun seems to function fine in the main menu, lights up and vibrates etc. until the ps1 core is loaded and then it goes dead so to speak.

I tried it in both guncon and justifier modes with time crisis, point blank, lethal enforcers and crypt killer.

I cant get any response at all from any buttons, or any of the functions at all.

I dont have a ps1 anymore to test but as of 3 years ago it still worked with original hardware. Its possible it died.

Not sure if im missing something or if snac is just particular about me using first party guns? or if its just this one in particular?

Not sure, any input would be appreciated.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Nyko Super Cobra

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Your post reminded me that I have a GunCon and I have the Retrocastle PSX adapter as well. Somehow it doesn't seem to work with the GunCon. Buttons work, but aiming seems to do nothing.

I plugged the GunCon sync plug into the adapter. Measuring with my scope, there's no signal coming from the sync connector on the adapter. Checking with my multimeter, it seems like the sync connector is directly connected to one of the pins of the player 1 connector.

Not sure what is going on, my board might be defective. As I don't have a Retrocastle setup, I asked them to remove the USB connector. When I tried it the first time, it shorted my MiSTer, turned out to be a solder bridge at the desoldered USB connector.

So, the only thing I can tell you is, that at least with the GunCon, the buttons should work with the most recent PSX core.

Magnitudeten

I managed to troubleshoot the solution over on the discord. All my problems were because of a jumper on my io board next to the io port being set to 3.3v instead of io. I hope that helps you too.

ps. i use an aluminum case and desoldered my second usb as well

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Magnitudeten wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:31 am

I managed to troubleshoot the solution over on the discord. All my problems were because of a jumper on my io board next to the io port being set to 3.3v instead of io. I hope that helps you too.

ps. i use an aluminum case and desoldered my second usb as well

Good to hear you solved your problem! And thanks for the tip! I'll have a look at it, though my other Playstation controllers have been working without a hitch.

Magnitudeten

Everything worked perfect for me too out of the box until lightguns were involved then it would go all weird.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Magnitudeten wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:14 pm

Everything worked perfect for me too out of the box until lightguns were involved then it would go all weird.

So your Retrocastle adapter is also not working with a light gun?

naylord

Unread post by naylord »

I have a PSX snac adapter and I can give you my anecdotes.
Guncon 1 works perfectly. I also got a 3rd party one, it did not work. At first i thought snac adapter was at fault, but I tried it on a PS2 and a PS1 and it did not work. This was a combo gun that had both PSX and Saturn connectors. Returned it to the retro game shop and got a different gun. New gun works fine via SNAC.

Also my SNAC works perfectly with both the NeGcon and Jogcon and beatmania pad

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Yeah, neGcon and Jogcon are working great here as well, fantastic to be able to use them with the PSX core.

I wish the sync connector worked, because the light flashes when shooting don't mess up my monitor's sync. That is what happened all the time with my real Playstations, on every CRT I have, ruining my aim. I guess something odd is going on with the RGB cable I've been using for that.