XT-IDE r625

n0p

XT-IDE r625

Unread post by n0p »

Just received much awaited addons and start looking at MisterXT :)
Looks like it's suggested BIOSes goes with quite old XT-IDE release, so i made a build of main and XT-IDE BIOS.
Main BIOS is a quick port of Book8088 (chinese XT laptop) BIOS i'm working on, which is a fork of Sergey's 8088_bios.
XT-IDE updated to r625. Configured in full mode, so Turbo Basic works. Large loop unroll flag added.
Archive contents:
ide_xtm.rom: XT-IDE r625 standalone ROM, only master IDE expected, to speed up boot process if only one VHD used.
ide_xtms.rom: Same, but with slave detection enabled
bios-test.rom: XT BIOS with embedded master-only XT-IDE and early IDE master detection.
bios-test-s.rom: Same, but with slave detection enabled.
Speedup is unnoticable, CHECKIT 3.0 reports 1.39 PC XT times vs 1.38 (4.77Mhz, i'm using USB drive for storing stuff)
F1 opens BIOS settings menu if pressed before memory test completes, saving done to boot sector of first drive.
Never mind the displayed version, that's left from Book8088.

Attachments
MisterXT_BIOS.zip
(43.62 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
kathleen
Top Contributor

Re: XT-IDE r625

Unread post by kathleen »

@n0p,
Thank you for that ! Cannot wait to try it.
One question, maybe off topic but you can answer me in MP to do not pollute this topic. Are you owning a Book8088 ? I'm still questioning me if I should buy one or not. So, if you own one, I'll really appreciate if you can give me your feeling about this computer (by MP)
Anyway, thanks again !

かすりん

n0p

Re: XT-IDE r625

Unread post by n0p »

While i was testing BIOS build, it appeared that config code broke floppy functionality. Fixed.
Improved early XT-IDE detection - looks like it takes some time to init on cold boot. But that will give about 3 seconds delay if no XT-IDE master present.
Added PWM floppy sound before OS boot. Can be disabled via setup.
Tested cold boot on all CPU speeds, except 3.5/AT that for some reason cannot init CGA (though works after soft reboot)
Attached. (-s suffix - with xt-ide slave detection)

Attachments
bios-mister.zip
(47.48 KiB) Downloaded 39 times