N64 ScummVM Port - Saving?

ape

N64 ScummVM Port - Saving?

Unread post by ape »

This might be a dumb question, but I'm trying to get saves working with the Scummvm n64 port and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas.

The notes for the port say it supports controllerpak and flash ram, with a preference for flash. I've added the md5 for the rom to N64-database.txt along with ntsc|cic6102|flash128k to instruct the core to use flash for saves. So far so good, but when I save the game, the next time I pull the list up nothing is there. If I instead use sram96k I can get the list to change but nothing is persisted between restarts of the game. I've tried a few different builds and they all seem to suffer from this. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm aware of the MiSTER ScummVM port and that seems to work great, but I'm trying to play these games on a 15khz CRT tv using the Y/C converter module, which doesn't seem to be supported by the menu core as far as I can tell. It works, but the output is in black and white. I'm guessing this core was never updated with Y/C support for linux apps, as it isn't ordinarily necessary for scripts.

ZigZag

Re: N64 ScummVM Port - Saving?

Unread post by ZigZag »

I'm sorry I can't help with the N64 port (didn't know there was one), but perhaps you could use an Amiga SCUMMVM port? I think there's one & since it's on a computer core it may be easier to work with things like "saves". I'd guess you can make the Amiga more powerful than an N64 too, more RAM, higher CPU speed etc. It should also output properly to an old CRT TV no problem.

Obviously there's an the 486 PC core too, but I'm not sure that would suit your needs as it's probably set up for higher resolutions & proper monitors.

I've not used my MISTER for a long time so I may be giving outdated information. I'm looking forward to getting into it again, hope you get it working to suit your needs.

ape

Unread post by ape »

Thanks for the info, I'll give the Amiga port a try. I had assumed it wouldn't work at 15khz but I didn't test. I did try the ao486 core, but it would only output 15khz with the scaler enabled, which lead to the black and white output with the y/c module - similar to the ScummVM script. I don't fully understand this limitation. Might be related to how the Y/C color mixing is implemented in each core?

ZigZag

Unread post by ZigZag »

ape wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:39 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll give the Amiga port a try. I had assumed it wouldn't work at 15khz but I didn't test.

Let me know if the Amiga core works for you (I'm just curious). I'm going to use my tablet to play some SCUMMVM games I think. Tablets seem like a good option for playing old point & click games. I've always wanted to complete Rex Nebular 😄.

ape

Unread post by ape »

I did get the monkey island games working but no luck with the AGA ScummVM port so far. I think it needs a beefier CPU than the 68020.

Antoine.WG

Unread post by Antoine.WG »

It's not an FPGA core but there is a Linux port of SCUMMVM for MiSTer.
viewtopic.php?t=673