Static IP and Groovy MiSTer/Cast Without DHCP/Router in Between

TLoMatt

Static IP and Groovy MiSTer/Cast Without DHCP/Router in Between

Unread post by TLoMatt »

Hi everyone I want to have a direct conection between my laptop and my Mister using an ethernet cable (No router inbetween or DHCP) , so I wanted to set up the static ip only on the ethernet side of my mister , according to Flandango in this post viewtopic.php?p=34047#p34047 in order to set up a static ip only for the ethernet port is so simple as finding and editing this file "dhcpcd.conf" which is in the directory"/media/rootfs/etc/dhcpcd.conf" as far as I can tell this file cannot be edited using FTP text editor so it has to be modified by entering mister fpga's terminal (pressing F9 in mister and login as: root :password 1) or doing the same using a terminal in a computer instead of mister over FTP (In my case I used the software putty for this task) , Flandango says you should add this text at the end of the "dhcpcd.conf" text file

Code: Select all

interface eth0
static ip_address=192.168.0.XX/24
static routers=192.168.0.X
static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.X 8.8.8.8

And changing the number in "ip_address=192.168.0.XX/24" for the ip you want finally sets the static ip for the ethernet port
I tried it and certainly it works ! Now I have Ethernet port with static IP and also my wifi dongle working with dynamic ip at the same time

DSC01306.jpg
DSC01306.jpg (238.85 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

Now when I want to use Groovy Mister or Mister Cast is when the problem starts , my set up just won't work and I don't know exactly how to configure things in order to make it work , this is my configuration in my Pc side Ethernet port manual configuration (manual static ip)

2024-03-05-141434.png
2024-03-05-141434.png (10.18 KiB) Viewed 1137 times

And this is my Mister FPGA configuration I used for my Ethernet at the end of the "dhcpcd.conf" file

mi-configuracion.png
mi-configuracion.png (2.51 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

Also a screen shoot of my Mister Cast , Groovy as well as mister cast won't stream my pc screen at all

mister-cast.png
mister-cast.png (28.81 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

If anyone could help me to finally make Mister Groovy/Cast work with this set up I'd be very greatful :D

Bas
Top Contributor

Re: Static IP and Groovy MiSTer/Cast Without DHCP/Router in Between

Unread post by Bas »

If you're connecting your PC directly to the MiSTer with nothing in between, it won't use the same network as your wireless. It'll be using its very own network that's limited only to the two parties present on the cable: your PC and your MiSTer. For this to work, you need to define a new subnet.

To make this as simple as possible, assuming your home network lives in 192.168.0.0/24, you could define 192.168.1.0/24 to be your local network for this purpose. You can then set your MiSTer's IP to 192.168.1.2/24 and the PC's side of the cable to 192.168.1.1/24. Should you need to enter a subnet mask, it'll be 255.255.255.0. Do NOT set a static router for either of these interfaces. There is no "upstream" for either system on any side of this cable. Things will get very confused if you do try to set up 192.168.1.1 as the router address. You also won't be able to set up DNS on either side of the cable so get rid of those as well on both ends. The main trick here is to not have overlap in address space between your existing network and the dedicated MiSTer/PC network.

I'm assuming that both your MiSTer and your PC have alternative means of reaching the wider world, like through WiFi. Leave the DHCP settings for WiFi (or a second wired NIC on your PC) alone. These will receive a default gateway and DNS resolvers, which is just fine. The fact that you do not have a default gateway defined on your dedicated line means that the systems won't try to yell into the void, hoping to reach the Internet through there. They will simply go through your WiFi for everything except the other end of the LAN cable.

With this setup you should be able to send pings from the MiSTer to the PC by IP-address only. Don't try to reach anything by name, that won't work. If you can ping from both ends, things should be hunky dory. You should also be able to reach out to the Internet from both systems as well if they are also connected to your home network at the same time.

TLoMatt

Unread post by TLoMatt »

Thanks for the answer Bas unfortunately still it's not working , the strange part is that I can ping from my Pc to the Mister (using windows) the terminal says no package has been lost , My mister ip configured like you advised me

Nuevo-mister-IP.png
Nuevo-mister-IP.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 911 times

Pc side is set up like this

pc-side.png
pc-side.png (10.14 KiB) Viewed 911 times

also when pressing the "start stream" in mister cast in the CRT TV the bouncing logo image glitch like the software is indeed trying to show the video but it can't do it correctly

zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

Don't set a static default route on the mister for that interface

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Indeed, do as zakk4223 said. You can NOT have a router configured on either side for these interfaces. Also, the X in the last octet's position cannot be there in any case ever. That'll always break.

TLoMatt

Unread post by TLoMatt »

Ok so I have deleted the

static routers=192.168.0.X
static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.X 8.8.8.8

lines , is it ok ? I mean if I just leave it as static routers= without nothing i guess i was still setting the variables to nothing but still setting to something , so my set up in my mister side comes as this:

2024-03-05-161019.png
2024-03-05-161019.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 908 times

But still when I try to push the button "Start Stream" in Mister Cast this happens

Pc side still is:

pc-side.png
pc-side.png (10.14 KiB) Viewed 908 times
KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

Did you get it working with just using dhcp?

Which version of groovy_mister are you using? 20240125 (stable) or 20240302 with new lz4 compression? Mistercast with support for the new lz4 is not released as of time of this writing.

TLoMatt

Unread post by TLoMatt »

It doesn't say the Groovy Mister Version

TLoMatt

Unread post by TLoMatt »

KennyL wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:09 pm

Did you get it working with just using dhcp?

Which version of groovy_mister are you using? 20240125 (stable) or 20240302 with new lz4 compression? Mistercast with support for the new lz4 is not released as of time of this writing.

Sorry for the delay in response but I want to thank you to you all for helping me setting up this , now it works the last step was KennyL's I was using the lz4 version , when using the stable version everything started to work as expected :D

TLoMatt

Unread post by TLoMatt »

So as for other people my final set up was as this:

In the PC Side:

1111111111111.png
1111111111111.png (10.14 KiB) Viewed 286 times

And in the Mister FPGA side at the end of the "dhcpcd.conf" text file which is in the directory "/media/rootfs/etc/" I have the static ethernet ip as:

Code for copy and Pasting over a software called "PuTTY" or using F9 in Mister (you cannot modify 'dhcpcd.conf' file manually only using a terminal)

interface eth0
static ip_address=192.168.1.2/24

Image:

33333333333.png
33333333333.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 286 times
soniccd123

Unread post by soniccd123 »

Can you repost the images of your setup? Its been less than 15 days but it looks like the links already rotted

TLoMatt

Unread post by TLoMatt »

soniccd123 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:41 am

Can you repost the images of your setup? Its been less than 15 days but it looks like the links already rotted

Final set up images already re uploaded ! :mrgreen: