New I/O Board, AV Board

bazza_12
Top Contributor

New I/O Board, AV Board

Unread post by bazza_12 »

As someone who's not technically minded (I struggle opening a carton of milk) This (below) seemed like a bit of a big deal.. I wonder if anyone can explain the differences between these updated boards and the old ones, and is it worth upgrading?.. many thanks (oh and if there's anyone out there who can help me with this bloody milk carton that would be great too..)

Sorgelig wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:50 pm

New I/O Board, 24bit VGA, Audio and Video DACs.

• Official release of new I/O Board, AV Board.
  • ADC-In board update.
  • Framework update.

All cores have to be updated with new framework to support new boards. It will take some time.
I've updated both hardware and template repositories.

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
AngelicLiver

Re: New I/O Board, AV Board

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Effectively it's a consolidated digital and analog IO board, it has a small AV board that attaches to the other GPIO headers that enables analog output with a 24-bit DAC (better colour reproduction, less banding). It isn't available to order off-the-shelf right now and work is ongoing to update cores to fully support it.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

ahh many thanks :)

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

As well as analog audio out, without the digital noise that the current analog IO board suffers from. Remove the daughter board and you can use a second memory module (and lose that analog output). Another advantage would be not having to upgrade your housing (not even when using two memory modules). The memory slot is still there, possibly that only works without the daughter board attached.

naylord

Unread post by naylord »

I have the old style analog board. Suppose I just go direct video for cores that could use it (primarily psx I'm thinking), is there any advantage to this vs that? My main target monitor is a 31khz pc monitor so needing to convert direct video to ypbpr for a consumer set isn't required.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:05 pm

Remove the daughter board and you can use a second memory module (and lose that analog output). Another advantage would be not having to upgrade your housing (not even when using two memory modules). The memory slot is still there, possibly that only works without the daughter board attached.

can the old memory modules (i've got a 32meg and 64meg kicking around here somewhere) work in the other slot - opposite the 128meg..

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

bazza_12 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:19 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:05 pm

Remove the daughter board and you can use a second memory module (and lose that analog output). Another advantage would be not having to upgrade your housing (not even when using two memory modules). The memory slot is still there, possibly that only works without the daughter board attached.

can the old memory modules (i've got a 32meg and 64meg kicking around here somewhere) work in the other slot - opposite the 128meg..

Yes, they can and from what I've heard you don't even need more than 32 MB in the secondary slot.