No Direct Video/scart RGB signal for Turbografx

Carma66

No Direct Video/scart RGB signal for Turbografx

Unread post by Carma66 »

Hi,
I'm new to Mister FPGA, I own a Terasic DE10-nano card + usb hub just since last week.
I'm waiting for the SDRAM card I recently bought, in the meantime I'm doing some tests with the cores that don't use SDRAM.

I tested some arcade cores (pacman, q-bert) both with de-10 nano connected in hdmi and connected in direct video via dac hdmi2vga+scart RGB cable to a CRT TV. Everything works great, (TATE video, I've to rotate the TV).

Another core that doesn't require SDRAM is turbografx, it works very well in HDMI but I can't make it work in Direct Video connected to the TV, I don't see any image, just garbage.

I don't even know if all cores support RBG direct video or what type of analog signal the turbografx core emits through direct video, if a signal compatible with my TV.

So I'm posting here my request for help because I don't know exactly which sub-forum to post in.

Can anyone give me a suggestion ?

Thank you

Asteld

Re: No Direct Video/scart RGB signal for Turbografx

Unread post by Asteld »

Cant help you with direct video myself, but theres a couple of config options you could try.
https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... /crttable/

Make sure to reset the core config settings as well.

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Whilst PC-Engine/TG16 core doesn't explicitly need an SDRAM module you may experience weirdness. From the core's readme:

This core may work without SDRAM (using on-board DDR3), but it may have different kinds of issues/glitches due to high latency of DDR3 memory. Thus SDRAM module is highly recommended for maximum accuracy.

Direct video should work, can I suggest you post your MiSTer.ini file?

Carma66

Unread post by Carma66 »

Thanks for the replies.
In the meantime, I received the SDRAM bank, I was able to verify that other cores also have the same problem, for example the Megadrive core.
I finally tried a second adapter HDMI2VGA and this solved the problem. The first adapter is probably faulty, it is based on the same chip as he second I tested, the well known AG6200, despite this on certain cores it do not works.
Thanks again.

dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

I'm not clear on the details, but when the HDMI Direct output was originally added, Sorgelig had posted about a particular HDMI2VGA adapter as being compatible, and that many others were not so compatible. Third-party goods are not all alike, even when based around the same core chip; retailers selling MiSTer products should be aware of compatibility and stock units which are compatible.
I'm glad you found a decent one.