Screen Tearing on top of the Screen for Chippoke Ralph no Daibōken

PhDTenma

Screen Tearing on top of the Screen for Chippoke Ralph no Daibōken

Unread post by PhDTenma »

Hello,

So I was playing Chippoke Ralph no Daibōken (The Adventure of Little Ralph) and I noticed that on the top of the screen there seems to be some screen tearing (or artefacts) on top of the screen. I'm using an LG C1 OLED.

I tried the game with different vsync_adjust options (0, 1 and 2) and with VRR on and off (my TV recognizes VRR) but there's no difference. I don't know if it's something of the game that happens on original hardware, my TV or even the HDMI...

I have uploaded the video and should be there a couple of days (if you guys know a better place for uploading, let me know).

Thank you in advance!

bootsector

Re: Screen Tearing on top of the Screen for Chippoke Ralph no Daibōken

Unread post by bootsector »

This happens on real hardware as well on this game

naylord

Unread post by naylord »

Makes sense a lot of old games would have screen tearing. Heck, some of the most sophisticated graphics techniques were basically intentionally causing screen tearing in a controlled way while also changing palletes to create all sorts of extra scanline level effects.

PhDTenma

bootsector wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:18 pm

This happens on real hardware as well on this game

Thank you for the clarification !

naylord wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:44 pm

Makes sense a lot of old games would have screen tearing.

Yes, that's true, I was so confused because for the 8-16 bit's systems I didn't encounter that obvious screen tearing, but an early 3D system as PSX is different...

Thanks

Asteld

Unread post by Asteld »

This looks a lot like a bug in the LG C2 models, but the answers already answered probably apply in your case.

A 720p source on LG C2 models with "Boost" mode (lower input lag) enabled results in screen tearing at the top of the screen. It only happens when using 720p resolution.

PhDTenma

Asteld wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:31 am

A 720p source on LG C2 models with "Boost" mode (lower input lag) enabled results in screen tearing at the top of the screen. It only happens when using 720p resolution.

I see, good to know! I recall from a My Life in Gaming video that also the C2 model had terrible input lag in 4:3. I hope the newer models don't have those problems!

In my case it's a C1 model and also I was playing at 1080p and also tried 1440p, and doesn't happens with all games so, yes, seems it's just how some games worked on the PSX.