Core Sizes?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
nymous

Core Sizes?

Unread post by nymous »

Hi,

Is there any information on how big (LLEs, etc) current MiSTer cores are? I found one spreadsheet about that, but it looks outdated. I'm mostly interested in Console and Computer cores.

MostroW

Re: Core Sizes?

Unread post by MostroW »

you could potentially take the cores that are open source, compile them and then it should report the information you require?

nymous

Unread post by nymous »

Yes, but I need to learn how to do that first though, because rn I have no clue on how to compile a core :) So if may be this info is available somewhere, please share.

Btw, if this info can be extracted from rbf, could please you point me to a tool which can do that?

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

That data can't be extracted from the rbf directly and I am not aware of any tool that can analyze it and give an estimate/report.
The only way I am aware of is, as MostroW pointed out, to compile it yourself.
To do that, you'll need to install Quartus 17, download the core's source from github, open up it's .qpf in Quartus, then Processing -> Start Compilation....
Then, depending on your system and which core you are compiling, go grab a coffee, some lunch/dinner or what not and wait for it to compile.
At the end it will generate a report which will include that information.
In the event you miss it, check the output_files folder for a corename.fit.rpt file...open that in a text editor/viewer and grab what you need.
If you are interested in core development, check out the Development section of the Wiki for some helpful info.

nymous

Unread post by nymous »

Thanks for the info. No, i'm afraid i'm not qualified yet to develop for FPGA :D, but i need this info for my (semi)technical article/blog.

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

I've never written a line of Verilog in my life, but compilation of cores really isn't that hard. It's just pushing a button and waiting.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

Bas wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:20 am

I've never written a line of Verilog in my life, but compilation of cores really isn't that hard. It's just pushing a button and waiting.

don't you have to press record and play at the same time.. :lol:

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

nymous wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:37 pm

Is there any information on how big (LLEs, etc) current MiSTer cores are? I found one spreadsheet about that, but it looks outdated. I'm mostly interested in Console and Computer cores.

I doubt that’s outdated (outside of missing some cores), they are unlikely to change massively in scale. But if you are looking for N64/PSX/Saturn, maybe MisterAddons will be willing to add those.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

How it was made:

Download Quartus, download the core, open the .qpf, and press the green triangle. The output_files folder has a txt file that lists utilization.